Public heatpump dashboards?

I was wondering if any members had made their heatpump monitoring graphs public?
Is it possible to share publicly the whole built in ‘heat pump app’?

I asked so that interested up and coming heat pump owners (ie me) could take a look?
I’m totally curious about run times and minimum loads / COP etc at different outside temperatures.

Appreciate that every install will be different and will perform differently. :+1:

I’d hope to work out a way to share my Heat Pump App when I get mine installed.

2 Likes

It’s possible but I’m not sure if anyone has done it. It might be easier for someone with an emoncms.org account to do than someone with a EmonPi on their home network.

You can get a lot of info about minimum loads and CoPs from the manufacturer databooks. The ecodan one is definitely online at Ecodan ATW Databook R32 2020 - Document Library - Mitsubishi Electric

Yeah, I was definitely thinking of somehow getting emoncms version out there for public view.

Maybe even hosting a separate online/public version separate from our private accounts?

I’m running EmonCMS on a fully fledged web server, which I’m happy to share on request.

A few things to be wary of before making an app visible publicly:

1. the URL for an app contains the API key, and defaults to the write key.
    Be sure to replace this with the read-only key instead.
  2. The app page retrieves a full list of all your feeds, even if some are marked private.
  3. My Heatpump app mostly works without a login, though the All Time History is broken.
  4. The alternate MMSP Heatpump app only works with a login (doesn’t use API key)

Side note: always put your API key in the POST data when uploading, never as a param in the URL.

2 Likes

Thanks Tim, that all looks cool.

Certainly something that I’d like to have a go at publishing when I get my ASHP (hopefully through the summer).

I don’t think there is enough real world data out there for folks to see.
Yes, there are some people sharing the odd screenshot and monthly summaries, but I’d like to be able to share all the data I can. As I hope my installation would be a good one. LOL.

I could possibly go down the public web server route too, host it somewhere or other.

My other thought was maybe influx/grafana combo which I’m familiar with through my energy-stats site.
But you wouldn’t get the cool ‘cop in window’ etc.

1 Like

I’ve recently discovered PVOutput.org, and am now pushing my solar generation / consumption / etc data to it. It’s very well suited to collecting and aggregating PV data over long periods and displaying it publicly.

It would be handy if there was something similar for heat pump performance data…

2 Likes

Yeah, i’ve been putting my stuff upto PVO for about 3.5 years now.
https://pvoutput.org/intraday.jsp?id=66193&sid=58867

That’s a cracking idea, a PVO for heatpump data… how do we make that happen? :smiley:

1 Like

I would like to do so. But I’m using a home-grown approach so sharing emoncms is not an option for me. That said, I have a script that saves electrical input and heat output daily (and by implication COP). Such scripts could be adapted to send the data to a server we could all access.

2 Likes

Hello @paul_tanner definitely agree that having options to upload data from a wide variety of sources would be good. Did you see the other thread here? Sharing heat pump data, emoncms public data, dashboards and apps - #13 by TrystanLea I know I missed this one earlier in the year :face_with_peeking_eye:

Hello all. Apologies in advance if I am violating the etiquette of the forum with this post! My name is Jane Wilson, I’m the COO at Hildebrand. We have a number of members of the HA community using our Glow CAD with MQTT for their local energy management. Thank you for choosing our solution.

We are about to launch the Glow Heat Pump Community - a BEIS grant funded initiative to support getting the concept from idea to reality - to help consumers and installers make better informed decisions based on using data (energy consumption and building fabric - getting an HTC figure from internal temperature sensor and consumption data) to understand 1) if your home is ‘heat pump ready’ and 2) if the HP (post installation) is running as efficiently as it could. The intention is that we overlay this with a Case Study database - so that consumers can look up the experience of ‘someone like me’ before they make their investment. There will be tools for installers as well, and a similar community element.

If you’d like to contribute your experience, please let me know. If you think there is information we could host that would be useful to this community, again, let me know. We will be open sourcing much of what we develop. One of our goals is to support an accessible heat pump database as well - with pre- and post- installation performance data within the context of the physical environment the device operates within.

1 Like

What’s an HTC figure? Need participants already know all the jargon?

Heat Transfer Coefficient

HTC is a way of determining the maximum heat loss of your property by using a combination of fuel used to heat the home and the average daily outside temperature. Usually using data over a period of the heating season.

It’s a term I go into depth on in my “What Size Heat Pump” article.

2 Likes

@mjr - the web site will be designed to support everyone, from complete beginners to experts

@Zarch - thank you for explaining what the HTC is.

We will be working with this solution, independently tested by UCL as part of the SMETERS programme, SmartHTC Technical Specifications - Build Test Solutions - using our soon to be launched environmental sensors that will measure temperature and humidity.

For anyone interested in SMETERS (we provided the sensor and the smart meter data) : Smart meter enabled thermal efficiency ratings (SMETER) technologies project: technical evaluation - GOV.UK

Finally - do contact us directly if you’d like to engage - [email protected]

It looks like this SmartHTC is propriety rather than an Open project - am I correct?

If so, that is a shame. You could create the HTC of my property from the data I already have in Eoncms!

Hopefully with a Local API and/or “Works with HA” accreditation. :slight_smile:

Hi Brian - our partners, Build Test Solutions, do need to make a living and have spent many years of building PhD level expertise to develop and refine that algorithm. To reassure you, it isn’t something they intend to charge a lot of - probably in the single digit pounds.

The input required is three weeks of energy consumption data, three weeks of an internal sensor temperature readings and, obviously, capturing external temperature for your nearest weather station.

That feels a bit offensive to the openEnergyMonitor developers (and all commercial FOSS developers), who do need to make a living and have spent many years building their expertise, yet really open source their system instead of holding it to ransom.

That’s not the biggest worry. It’s what happens if they go bust or get bought out? I’ve contributed to too many efforts, projects and initiatives that are no longer even much of a memory.

I’ve not yet been able to ask the other owners of the heat pump, but before I do, may I ask if this is open to openenergymonitor users who don’t use HA, and would we have to buy the Glow CAD or is that covered by the grant funding? And would we need to get a weather station or could the heat pump external sensor readings be used?

1 Like

Would I be able to participate if I was already collecting this data with my own hardware?
The How it works page suggests that I would be able to. I am put off by the setup fee though.

1 Like

Hello @JaneatGlow

Thanks for posting, good to hear that your initiative is progressing, this is with Nathan from @BetaTeach who posted above I assume?

Great to hear that you are at least making your part open source, could you share more details on that?. It will be good to compare notes and findings of our two initiatives! best of luck!

1 Like

Yes, Nathan is one of our Consortium Partners - go with the best! :wink:

We’ve already open sourced the models behind our smart tariff (ToU) comparison tool - developed last year which are on observablehq. What we need to do is add live tariffs but the whole market has changed a lot in the last 18 months… as we all know. That tool will help people to understand the Total Cost of Ownership and how different tariffs could be helpful (depending on their choices).

As the project evolves, we’ll see what we can Open Source - as sometimes things are proprietary (still trying to get to the bottom of the database of heat pump characteristics). Do stay in touch and thank you.

Gosh, sorry for asking “one eternity later” @Timbones but I haven’t really investigated the auth. In your opinion is it better / easier / safer to use one approach rather than the other? It sounds as though you might be happier with it using the read version of API key?

Thanks

MyForest