Open EVSE - Losing Wi-Fi

I’m finding that my OpenEVSE WiFi is losing connection on an almost daily basis.

It is on V4.1.1 and is the ESP32 version (but not the most recent with different power supply requirements).

It used to be rock solid but now it refuses connection and the MQTT feed stops; the only recourse is to cut the power to the unit at the CU and then on reboot it is fine again.

The OpenEVSE unit continues to charge fine; last night it charged my wife’s Zoe from 00:30 to 04:30 but the MQTT feed stopped around 03:00. The night before, the charge was the same time and the MQTT feed stopped about 06:00. I can’t connect to the unit.

The AP it connects to hasn’t moved/changed and other devices are using it fine.

Is there a known issue with v4.1.1 or is the ESP32 on its way out? I guess I could get the latest board to eliminate it being hardware.

I’m still having this issue; charger continues to work fine but the emoncms and MQTT feeds stop and the web interface won’t connect. In addition, my network controller reports the OpenEVSE offline.

I’ve now purchased the combined wireless / wired ESP32 board and will run a cable to the unit when I get a spare hour or so; hopefully that’ll resolve it.

You could also use a Esp32 wroom 32u with the external antenna, this has a much better range, although you need a buck converter rather than take power from the evse board like the original.

Hi @greentangerine
Did you fix the wifi or have you resorted to a wired connection?
My OpenEVSE also regularly loses wifi even though the wifi access point is close by.
Same symptoms - no self recovery so only option is a power cycle.
Really annoying
Currently running V4.1.5

Not yet but it’s come even more pressing now as I want to use the Current Shaper ability in 4.1.5 which relies on a stable network connection.

I have a external antenna ESP32 arriving hopefully tomorrow but then I’ve got to work out what (if any) firmware is usable - I’m assuming either openevse_huzzah32.bin or openevse_wifi_v1.bin but tbh. I don’t know - and then some command line incantation to load it up assuming I can work out which wires to connect for both programming it and also normal operation within the unit (I’ve used a Windows tablet and thingy to update the main EVSE firmware a few times but never the wifi board).

I did buy the wired gateway unit from the shop as mentioned but have never got around to installing it but remains a final option I guess.

The wired gateway will also work on WiFi, it’s actually rather good at WiFi

I’ve connected it up but can’t get any device to connect to the default gateway on wifi. I can see it, put the password in and connect but then it drops the connection almost immediately after.

Phone, laptop, old laptop, tablet … all fail.

I updated the firmware to 4.1.5 before this which seemed to go OK using the instructions for my board (rev G) and esptool.py.

So I took the firmware back to 4.1.4 and the green light came on this time. Put it back to 4.1.5 and no green light and the wifi doesn’t boot it seems - nothing on the screen. I’ve just put it back to 4.1.4 and will try in the unit.

So v4.1.5 doesn’t work on the wired gateway unit it seems which is a pain as I need the current shaper.

So the firmware which purports to be v4.1.4 is actually v4.1.3 according the the GUI and the CRC64 values for the two openevse_esp32-gateway-e.bin files on github under the assets for v4.1.4 and v4.1.4 are identical. However, my charge unit is functional again.

So v4.1.4 is MIA and v4.1.5 doesn’t appear to work.

Anything I can do to rectify that/test, please let me know as I’m about to butcher my existing huuzah esp32 in an attempt to add an external antennae so possibly no going back. I do have 100m of external cat6 on standby too.

Correct there is an issue with the latest releases and the ESP gateway:

There is a fix for this, we’ve just not yet updated the release. Just remove the line RESET_ETH_PHY_ON_BOOT=1 from platformio

See attached for a pre compiled V4.1.5 with this fix applied.

openevse_esp32-gateway-e.bin (1.4 MB)

That seems to have done the trick.

Currently running 4.1.5 on esp32-gateway (g).

I’ll see if the unit is more reliable on WiFi than the Huzzah ESP32 I’ve been using and if not, move over to a wired connection.

1 Like

Seems I’ve restarted something here :slightly_smiling_face:

I don’t think my unit dropping wifi is a signal issue as the AP is only a few feet from the EVSE.
Also, when it does drop the wifi it does not go into STA mode - it just becomes unresponsive and needs a power cycle to recover.

Are we sure there isn’t some interference in the EVSE disturbing/corrupting the ESP?

There is the potential for some RF interference inside the EVSE especially if the car’s electronics isn’t too well designed. Not to mention potential spikes at switch on/off.

Looking at my unit

The ESP power supply and Tx/Rx/Gnd wires are tied to the ct and earth cables. Maybe not the best route to minimise interference.
When I get a chance I’ll try segregating the ‘electronics’ cables from the ‘power cables’

Is the SSID Dual Band or just 2.4MHz?

IME the more advanced the AP, the more likely it is to drop the 2.4MHz connections. I have a cheap(ish) AP just for all my 2.4MHz IOT stuff.

Hi @borpin

Is the SSID Dual Band or just 2.4MHz?

Single band 2.4MHz
If it were a simple(?) wifi drop why doesn’t it retry or go to STA mode. I think something’s getting corrupted - hence the need for a power cycle

I think the issues I saw with other ESP devices were around authentication with the AP. When I moved to a different AP, they just went away :man_shrugging:

I have the same issue - one month old OpenEvse.
Tried two different access points - one 2.4GHz only. Both have excellent signal and both have problems:

• unit will disconnect from WiFi, loose MQTT feed
  • screen is still on and cycling trough various display items as per normal
  • reboot typically solves it, but today after reboot max current was reset to 0
  • I am on the latest firmware: 8.2.2.EU

Can anyone with similar issue confirm that wired gateway indeed solves the problem?

What firmware version you have on wifi module?