OpenEVSE no longer receives grid import/export via MQTT

Try selecting Service Level 2

You could also temporally disable off solar PV divert.

The screen shot showing 6/7A is after I select Level 2. I can get 12A by selecting Level 1. I had already disabled PV divert but it has not helped.

Did you download the pre-compiled firmware update from OpenEVSE github relases or did you compile it yourself?

Could you try issuing RAPI command $SC 32, you will need to enable developer mode for the RAPI tab to appear. This should set the current to 32A

For the wifi, I used the pre-compiled firmware (I didn’t change the main firmware version).

Managed to get the car up to 100% at 12A overnight so not able to test the command properly yet, but it is returning ‘$OK 32^01’ when I try it. Will try it later when the SOC has reduced.

Hi,
it should still show the max even when doing nothing

John

This Pilot signal value is also displayed if advanced settings is toggled on, this is the actual current value the EVSE is asking the car to draw:

I’ll check that when the car is back later today, but I can confirm the car did charge successfully last night at 32A having run the $SC 32 command. So at this point it seems to be an interface issue.

Quick update: I couldn’t connect to the EVSE web interface so I gave it a reboot. When it came back up the interface had returned to normal and the full range of currents is now selectable.

Still no luck with the solar divert though…

Can you try to update to WiFi firmware V4.1.3 Release V4.1.3 · OpenEVSE/openevse_esp32_firmware · GitHub

It’s been confirmed to fix some solar PV divert issues:

Hi Glyn,

Unfortunately the upgrade has not gone well. Although the display showed ‘upgrade done’ or something similar afterwards, I can now not connect it to the home Wifi and the interface is showing an error:

It shows that it is connecting, I get kicked of the EVSE Wifi but it never appears on the home network.

Also, the display has changed to how it used to be both in terms of the colour and the displayed information.

The charger is still working as a dumb charger but obviously I have lost all other functionality.

It looks like the update has taken place successfully, however I think you may have used the incorrect update file. I can see from one of your previous posts that you have a Huzzah32 WiFi module hardware:

Did you use the openevse_huzzah32.bin update file? I think it looks like you may have used the openevse_wifi_v1.bin instead? Could you try to re-update using openevse_huzzah32.bin file: https://github.com/OpenEVSE/ESP32_WiFi_V4.x/releases/download/4.1.3/openevse_huzzah32.bin

There is a difference in serial ports between the two hardware versions, so currently the Wifi module is not able to communicate with the OpenEVSE controller, hence the lack of data and LCD updates.

Ah, I used openevse_esp32-gateway-e.bin, whereas it looks lik it should be openevse_wifi_v1.bin:

I guess I got confused because it says ESP32 on it. Not sure why it said Huzzah previously…

Is there a way to re-upload the correct firmware?

Hi,

as above download the correct firmware (if that pic is of your board) you need

• OpenEVSE V1 - designed for V4.x firmware - currently shipping in 2021 use openevse_wifi_v1.bin

https://github.com/OpenEVSE/ESP32_WiFi_V4.x/releases/download/4.1.3/openevse_wifi_v1.bin

download the file to your PC then in the browser connect to the EVSE and do the WiFi update using this file and all should be good

John

Thanks John, but the problem is all I see is what is in the screen grabs that I posted above. All the normal functionality (including Wifi upgrade) is not there.

I was hoping there might be an ethernet port I could plug into but there is not…

Mark,

only suggestion I can make at the moment is to connect to the EVSE hotspot using your laptop.
then as per your screenshot above click the “standalone” button. Then you should be able to get up the normal interface that you would normally see on the network, at this point do the WiFi upgrade to the correct firmware. Then do a power reset and I hope you can connect to the hotspot and connect to your network :slight_smile:

John

Sadly no luck trying that. The progress bar gets to about half way and it then fails.

@glyn.hudson at this point would it be easier to send a new Wifi module? Or is there another way to write the firmware?

Mark,

This is all I could find that may help.

If for whatever reason the web-interface won’t load it’s possible to update the firmware via cURL:

curl -F ‘[email protected]’ http:///update && echo

[

Via Network OTA
](User Guide | OpenEVSE WiFi v4)

The firmware can also be updated via OTA over a local WiFi network using PlatformIO:

platformio run -t upload --upload-port

[

Via USB Serial Programmer
](User Guide | OpenEVSE WiFi v4)

Compatiable USB to Serial Programmer

On the command line using the esptool.py utility:

If flashing a new ESP32, flashing bootloader and partitions file is required:

esptool.py --baud 921600 --before default_reset --after hard_reset write_flash -z --flash_mode dio --flash_freq 40m --flash_size detect 0x1000 bootloader.bin 0x8000 partitions.bin 0x10000 firmware.bin

Then successive uploads can just upload the firmware

esptool.py --baud 921600 --before default_reset --after hard_reset write_flash -z --flash_mode dio --flash_freq 40m --flash_size detect 0x10000 firmware.bin

If uploading to ESP32 Etherent gateway, use slower baudrate of 115200

Or with the NodeMCU PyFlasher GUI, available with pre-built executable files for Windows/Mac.

John

Unfortunately esp32-gateway is designed for the ESP Gateway Ethernet module which does not support HTTP update, therefore I think the only way to recover from this is to flash the firmware via serial using a USB programmer, see guide: User Guide | OpenEVSE WiFi v4

Or you wanted you could return the unit to us and I would be happy to flash it for free if you cover the postage, drop us an email [email protected]

Thanks both. I will try and reprogramme tomorrow - I guess I will need to botch something to get the programmer attached, unless the pins on the molex type connector are the same pitch?

Yes, you will need some flying wires or a smaller pitch connector to connect the programmer. If you’re ordering a programmer from us we can include an adaptor.