OpenEVSE no longer receives grid import/export via MQTT

I’ve tried uploading the firmware without success. I only have gnd, tx and rx connected as they’re the only pins labelled on the OpenEVSE Wifi. Do I need other pins connected to the programmer?

Also, can you advise where to download bootloader and partition files (if I am treating this as a new unit) as mentioned in the guide?

You will also need to connect 5V power to power up the WiFi module:

No need to use bootloader or partition files, since you’re not uploading for the first time, just put the module into bootloader mode then execute:

esptool.py --baud 921600 --before default_reset --after hard_reset write_flash -z --flash_mode dio --flash_freq 40m --flash_size detect 0x10000 firmware.bin

`

Just a note that as the downloaded file will be called openevse_wifi_v1.bin change the filename in the command to match

esptool.py --baud 921600 --before default_reset --after hard_reset write_flash -z --flash_mode dio --flash_freq 40m --flash_size detect 0x10000 openevse_wifi_v1.bin

John

1 Like

Thanks John. Unfortunately no luck (even after I spotted that 2 pairs of wires are crossed). Checked that 5V is getting to the module but no sign of it connecting using esptool.py.

I’m going to send it to OEM for reprogramming.

Rx and Tx need to be crossed i.e Tx from the programmer must be connected to Rx on the module and vice versa.

If the module is getting 5V and GND it should power up.

Have you put the module into bootloader mode by holding down GPIO button while pressing RST button?

No problem if you want to send it to us. Please email us to arrange this: [email protected]

Thanks Glyn. I did make sure to cross both of those pairs and I also tried putting it in bootloader mode but without success (it wasn’t entirely obvious how to do that from the link but guessed that was the sequence from other wifi devices I’ve used).

I’ve put it in the post and sent an email to that address.

Hi all,

I received a re-flashed wifi module from OEM - thank you for that. I installed it and functionality returned as expected, except for the MQTT feed from the emonTx.

After doing some more testing and searching, I finally realised that MQTT was not setup on the emonTx (which uses a wifi module). I have set it up and I now get a consistant data! It worked orginally so somewhere along the line the emonTx wifi must have been changed and I never made the link between it changing and the solar divert stopping working.

One question - is it normal to have some additonal export as seen here (around 300W):