Migration to new forum

Further to the post above re: giving users time to backup any data held in PM’s I was inquisitive as to how an invite is worded and sent myself an invite to another of my (outlook) email accounts (to avoid any possible “known email” influences). After 20 mins I still hadn’t received it so I sent another one to another account (gmail) which came through instantly.

I have logged into the outlook server and found the first invite has been deemed “junk”, a closer look shows the email is from [email protected] “via” messagingengine.com. so I can understand a spam filter picking it up as not only is “community.openenergymonitor.org” a brand new domain, but coming through a 3rd party from “noreply” won’t help credibility with some mail systems either.

Since the outlook app (mobile and desktop) do not have a junk folder users will not find, even if aware of this missing email, unless they log in to the outlook server. Other apps may show outlooks “junk” and other email services may be ok but it seems Outlook isn’t.

The actual invitation text is

Paul (pb66) invited you to join

Community | OpenEnergyMonitor

Open-source tools for energy monitoring and analysis

If you’re interested, click the link below:

https://community.openenergymonitor.org/invites/74....................................................9c

This invitation is from a trusted user, so you won’t need to log in.

Seems very bland and pretty uninviting for an invite. Are the invites for “the switch” any different? Do they explain the “freeze” and the time scale?

Would it be possible to send an email from the old forum (ie a trusted email source) explaining the change, the timescale (mention PM’s specifically?) and to look out for an invitation “if not seen in the next _X_hrs check your junk folder”

EDIT

See this info from gmail Extra info next to sender's name - Gmail Help

Gmail checks whether emails are correctly authenticated. If your messages are sent by a bulk mailing vendor or by third-party affiliates, please publish an SPF record that includes the IPs of the vendor or affiliates which send your messages and sign your messages with a DKIM signature that is associated with your domain.

I suspect outlook just junks the email if these steps are not taken

Perhaps we should avoid the “invitation” route!

It would seem the account is set up using the email username minus the domain without granting the user the ability to change it, surely that is a privacy issue ?

1 Like

Looks good. I changed “some websites” to “three websites” and made the text box border red.

The subdomain in the email address really will not help as the subdomain probably does not have an MX record. I’m sure you must be able to set the email address to something more valid and possibly send the emails direct through your hosts smart host/SMTP server.

Yes I’d agree with that. I decided to use an existing account to register when I did so.

Yes, we will be able to login and send/view PM’s. I see no reason to disable this. Although we could do so in the future to incentivise users to use the nee from PM’s. Only the forum will be read-only. PM’s and the rest of the site will continue to work as usual.

Yes, you and anyone else with privileges will be able to login and edit Building blocks etc.

The only benefits of a users creating an account via the invite email is not having to go through the process of becoming a trusted user on the new forum. Invites have been send out to the top 100 posters on the old forum this evening.

I see no harm in sharing the usernames of the top posters:
Thanks for your support :slight_smile:

Robert Wall
pb66
TrystanLea
Paul Reed
calypso_rae
glyn.hudson
dBC
boelle
Bill Thomson
Jérôme
MartinR
JBecker
ukmoose
chaveiro
Schism
richmc
sumnerboy
Eric_AMANN
mharizanov
sheppy
Petrik
stuart
Bramco
Ian Eagland
Tinbum
CidiRome
Brian D
PaulOckenden
borpin123
robw
Jon
fluppie007
Bra1n
Mattia Rossi
Lloyd
bruce_miranda
smitt1979
EnergyRnR
Sergegsx
jack_kelly
JD
emjay
rbreuss
jb79
Larsjo
webby
elyobelyob
goodfidelity
ngbod
firefox7518
nrgbod
Peter Galbavy
dod
alco
dominator99
joyrider3774
brutzler
RobP
john.b
JumpMaster
daturach
AllenConquest
TimSmall
Series530
happyf
mad_dad
engeeaitch
warlock
Bruno
manicmoddin
logic
darrepac
XaroRSA
markbeal2
charliemic
allmac
unique24
cybergibbons
rjsears
9fingers
Dan Woodie
EmilianoM
fewyatt
markcarter10
octagon
davekramkowski
Beire
mike_86
StuntMonkeh
serbat
MPooley
modenet
robur
PhilThy
jonrescca
ianjm
José
Toberwine
Avontech
2 Likes

Invitation email has been updated to include a timeline and a link to the blog post. Good idea, thanks

Hey all!

Love the new forum. It’s my favorite forum software as used by Particle! I closed my Kevin1 account as I’m a bit OCD with account names.

If you’re able to change my privileged level that would be great! :smile:

Back to making an Android app that can scan QR codes…

1 Like

Done, you have been upgraded :slight_smile: .

Thanks a love the new forums also, Discouse is a joy to use and admin compared with Drupal.

Thanks.

The time has come: The old forums have now been frozen to read-only. !

37/100 invitations to join the new forums have been redeemed. New forums currently has 50 users.

I will look to update the recent post feed on the home page to come from the new forum.

…are you sure

Paul

Its is now! But you can still post since you’re a moderator

1 Like

Hi Glyn
I registered a few days ago, am I subject to a untrustworthy level?

Regards
Dave

Dave, you show as “Basic”. The trust levels are here: Trust Levels for OEM Community

not any more :smiley:

Thanks Glyn

Whoo, I think we can say migration to the new forums is complete. I’m very much enjoying using the new features, I hope you agree that is a worthwhile upgrade and should see us well into the future.

Thanks a lot to all the @moderators and everyone else that helped out.

Before I close this thread, can you think of any final loose ends to tidy up with regard to the move?

Ought there be links from here back to Resources (Building Blocks, Wiki, Github), Hardware, Online Store etc?

The ‘home’ link at the top of the new forum links back to the main site. Do you think I should add a building block link? Or maybe this is covered by the technical section of the new user guide, which (when it’s finished) link out to all the resources

Your problem is you know where everything is. The hard part is putting yourself into the position of someone looking at the site when they don’t have a clue and trying to find their way round.

That’s totally unintuitive! And inaccessible from this page at least. The look and feel of these forums is totally different to the look and feel of the ‘old’ site, and seems like a different site - to me at least. ‘Home’ when I’m in here means where I go when I click on the logo. It never occurred to me that ‘Home’ there was back to the old site. The route to those things I listed doesn’t seem to be at all obvious once you’re in these forums. Even that Home link is at best one click away - if you know where to click.

If you’re going to put the Resources and Hardware links in the user guide at some time in the future, I say they need to go somewhere obvious at least in the short term.