Trust Levels for OEM Community

Forum users will automatically build up a ‘trust level’ and unlock elevated privileges over time. Read more:

User trust levels are a way of:

• Reducing / eliminating spam users
  • Sandboxing new users so they cannot accidentally disrupt the community or other users while they are learning what to do.
  • Granting experienced users more rights so they can help maintain and moderate the OEM community they generously contribute so much of their time to.

Trust Levels
0 (New) → 1 (Basic) → 2 (Member) → 3 (Regular) → 4 (Leader)

Note: users with email invitation (from the old forum) will automatically be given elevated trust level

Trust Level Zero (New User)
All OEM Community users start out as trust level zero. New Users are learning the community norms and the way the forum works

Users at Trust Level Zero can:

• Create new posts
  • Post one image in a post
  • Post two hyperlinks in a post

Users at Trust Level Zero cannot:

• Create a new Tag
  • Send Private Messages (PM) to other users
  • Flag posts
  • Post more than one image
  • Post any attachments
  • Post more than two hyperlinks in a post
  • Mention more than two users in a post

Trust Level One (Basic User)
If a user sticks around long enough to read a bit, the OEM Community now trusts them as a basic user

Users at Trust Level One can:

• Create new Tags and assign the Tag to a post
  • Upload images and attachments
  • Edit wiki posts
  • Flag posts
  • Have all new user restrictions removed

Trust Level Two (Members)
Members keep coming back to the site, and have participated long enough to earn complete citizenship

Users at Trust Level Two can:

• Use the “Invite others to this topic” button for one-click on-boarding of new users to participate in topics
  • Invite outside users to Private Messages (PM) making a group PM

Trust Level Three (Regular)
Regulars are the most active readers and reliable contributors over long periods of time.

Users at trust level 3 can:

• Re-categorize and rename topics
  • Have all their links followed
  • Cast Spam flags

Trust Level Four (Leader)
Leaders are regulars who have been around forever and seen everything. They set a positive example for the community through their actions and their posts. If you need advice, these are the folks you turn to first.

Users at Level Four can:

• Edit all posts
  • Pin/unpin topic
  • Close topic
  • Archive topic
  • Make topic unlisted
  • Split and merge topics

Lovingly borrowed from: Understanding Discourse Trust Levels | Blog

Thanks @Jon. This explains the process well. I have made this a globally pinned topic. Users can dismiss the pinned topic once it’s been read

Anyway you can check the old forum for this outside the top 100 you invited?

I just ran into:
Users at Trust Level Zero can:
Post two hyperlinks in a post

Users at Trust Level Zero cannot:

• Create a new Tag
  • Send Private Messages (PM) to other users
  • Flag posts
  • Post more than one image
  • Post any attachments
  • Post more than two hyperlinks in a post
  • Mention more than two users in a post

Which is a bit too restrictive to post a well formed post on a new topic, I have contributed to the forum in the past and it would have been good if the new system could have validated me against a list on the old forum in some way to at least put me in “basic user”?

You have upgraded :thumbsup:

Sorry for the restrictions, however we had a lot of spam users on the old forum that I did not want to risk inviting. It’s not a problem to upgrade users manually once they have joined the new forum. The Trust level does upgrade automatically.

Great, thanks Glyn, I just ordered an EmonTX today to expand my system so I am sure I will be doing a lot of posting in the short term :wink:

Understand on the spam - I have an 18 year old email address I have all but abandoned due to volume of spam - although at least with email SpamAssassin does a good job, I know its tougher with a forum.