Introducing HeatpumpMonitor.org - a public dashboard of heat pump performance

I realise that the issue with daily in our compare tool is that the temperatures are averages for the whole period including when the heat pump is not running, which gives incorrect results. They need to be averages when running which gets complicated to calculate form the way the emoncms api returns averages at the moment…

1 Like

I think we can live without the daily option for now, if that makes life easier.

Also, while I think of it, the date selector seems to be stuck on 05/03/2023, rather than being today’s date?

Done :slight_smile:

Note: I’ve only made this available for periods less than 120 days in length as it uses quite a bit of server processing power to calculate these daily averages. It’s not doing any caching of the calculation so recalculates from whatever the base feed interval is every time… you may need to zoom in to a period to see the temperature data…

6 Likes

Should we remove it? or leave as is?

So it is, will take a look at that

1 Like

Fixed this one.

13 posts were split to a new topic: HeatpumpMonitor.org: grid profiles and aggregation

Maybe it’s best to remove the daily aggregation, as it’s not nearly as useful as I thought it would be. Keep things simple, eh?

1 Like

Sure will do that.

A post was split to a new topic: HeatpumpMonitor.org: Other studies and comparisons

Hi - very impressed with all the work on heatpump monitor, and I like the graphs in particular. Adding to your (no doubt) long list of ‘nice to haves’ could you add the design flow temperature as a ‘colour coding’ on the graphs. Since this will influence the sizing of radiators you might guess that this would be a significant impact. I guess fairly obvious but it would be useful to see.

Thanks @JackHolly good idea, I’ve added it to the issue list: Comparisons of performance vs design flow temperature · Issue #25 · openenergymonitor/heatpumpmonitor.org · GitHub

1 Like

I’ve moved the grid profiles and aggregation posts to a separate thread here so as not to have too many different topics in parallel: https://community.openenergymonitor.org/t/heatpumpmonitor-org-grid-profiles-and-aggregation

And another thread for other heat pump trials: HeatpumpMonitor.org: Other studies and comparisons

2 Likes

Any chance you could add - Heat output versus flow temp on the compare graphing tab?
Here is mine via XLS

Sure, done, although maybe need the option to set the y-axis units?

1 Like

Wondering if it might be worth replacing these columns on the front page with a single fabric efficiency figure expressed in kWh heat demand/m2?

Which would look like this:

Does that remove too much useful information from the list? those columns would be accessible via the expand for further info button…

is it a worthwhile change?

2 Likes

I guess in the context of a prospective heat pump purchaser casually looking at the dashboard and hoping to find a ‘match’ for their own property, a single figure for Fabric Efficiency is probably more difficult to relate to than the existing, more descriptive columns.

Having said that, for a more ‘technical’ audience, I do like the normalised efficiency metric…

Thanks @dMb I’ve added an option to show this view for now with a checkbox at the bottom of the page, I’ve also included kwh/m2 electric for interest.

2 Likes

This is really useful - thanks!

1 Like

Hi is there any chance you could add a “YEAR” button to this view and possibly the detailed view?

1 Like

I’ve just turned my heat pump off at the isolator switch because I’ve not needed any heating since 3rd April and DHW is consistently being covered by the diversion of excess solar PV generation. I’ll turn it back on in Autumn.

My NIBE F1145 GSHP consistently draws 1.1 kWh per day (about 45 W) when in ‘standby’ (with no pumps running) so that’s money and carbon I don’t want to be wasting. This explains why my system’s 30-day COP is so bad but my daily cost is so good.

I want to ensure I don’t mess up the long-term stats on HeatpumpMonitor though:

• The Heat Meter and Electricity Meter are still reporting ‘real’ readings so that’s all good - they’re just showing no electricity consumption and no heat output.

• A potential issue is the temperature readings - those are sourced from NIBE Uplink and since the heat pump is switched off it’s not sending any updates. The way I report the data to emoncms means I’m effectively sending the last ‘real’ reading (from 09:00 today) repeatedly - and will continue to do that all summer.

• I could use an alternative source of Outdoor temperature and report that instead; same for Indoor temperature
    • I could report the heat meters’ view of Flow and Return temperatures (rather than the heat pump’s), I suppose

Is that worth worrying about though? If the heat pump isn’t running do the temperature readings actually matter?