Community
OpenEnergyMonitor

Community

Grafana Dashboard Project

(Paul Reed) #1

I’ve spent a bit of time recently reflecting upon what data I need from my emonTX, emonTH & solar diverter, and how I would like the data presented.
As a result, I’ve built a system which instead of using emoncms, uses node-RED to capture the data, influxdb to store data, and Grafana to display the results.

I get the data by listening on /dev/ttyAMA0 with a node-RED serial node and capture the RF binary packets. To decode the data packets, I’ve written a node-RED node - node-red-contrib-rf-decode to do just that, which is available from the node-RED palette.
The complete flow that I use is;

The 4 function nodes contain minimal code to format the data so that the Influxdb node is able write it to a Influxdb time-series database.

Grafana, is querying the database and present the data in it’s own dashboard. (click the image for full size)

…or a dark theme…

Each of the charts are refreshed every 5 seconds and can be zoomed in or out, or panned, and the gauges & boxes change colour depending upon the data value.

The database automatically downsamples the data, and only retains 1 day’s worth of realtime data, but retains the downsampled data for 1 year, to stop the database boating.

The dashboard is published over SSL, and is password protected.

NOTE - This is not a replacement for emoncms. Emoncms contains more features, and more detailed analysis tools than my personal project. Also influx & grafana can present a learning curve not suited to everyone. (as I found out!)

(Chaveiro) #2

Good stuff :+1:

(Bill Thomson) #3

Looks good! thumbsup

Did you use a Retention Policy set at database creation time to give you the one day / one year limits?

(Greebo) #4

Been there, done that, came out the other side with the same conclusion as you!

Nice dashboard as well.

(Paul Reed) #5

I’m using 2 retention policies;

name     duration  shardGroupDuration replicaN default
----     --------  ------------------ -------- -------
one_year 8736h0m0s 168h0m0s           1        false
one_day  24h0m0s   1h0m0s             1        true

and also a Continuous Query, to group and average data into 5 minute chunks;

cq_5m CREATE CONTINUOUS QUERY cq_5m ON emondata BEGIN SELECT mean(grid) AS grid, mean(solar) AS solar, mean(divert) AS divert, mean(usage) AS usage INTO emondata.one_year.downsampled_iot FROM emondata.one_day.iot GROUP BY time(5m), grid, solar, divert, usage END

(Paul) #6

Thanks for sharing @Paul,

Another great feature of influx/grafana is the ability to store and display notes on the timeline graphs so that comments to explain certain activity profiles, notable changes in tech, circumstance or environment and/or highlighting issue’s/anomolies/fixes in the data etc etc.

(Bill Thomson) #7

Tnx for sharing the CQ. I’ve never used one, but now I’ll have to give 'em a try. :wink: :grin:

(Bill Thomson) #8

Hi Paul,

I got to thinking about your comment about database bloat, so I took a look at my system.
To give an idea how much data is being collected, I took a screenshot of my data sources page.
Measurements for the energy, stove temp, test and udp data sources are collected at 5 second intervals,
enviro and temp data at one minute intervals.
A total of 17 metrics for the energy data source, 4 for the test DS, one for the temp,
one for the enviro and one for the StoveTemp DS.

Here’s an example of one dashboard:

'twas a really crappy day for PV production. :frowning_face:

and another:

The total amount of data in my /var/lib/influxdb directory (about 7 months worth) - which inclues the WAL and metadata as well as the metrics, is 428 MB.

[email protected]:/var/lib/influxdb$ sudo du -csh
428M    .
428M    total
[email protected]:/var/lib/influxdb$

With the small number of metrics you have, you might not have any issues with a longer retention policy
or even no RP at all.

(Paul Reed) #9

Nice dashboards Bill.

There lots more to add! I haven’t had chance to look at the emonTH’s, emonTX’s, weather api data and data from my ESP’s. The above dashboard was really a POC as I’ve never used influxdb or grafana before.

I suppose different people will have different requirements, but, I had a good think about exactly what data I needed and what use I put it to.
For example, I can’t recall needing historical 5 second granularity, or data beyond the previous 12 months, so why keep it?
But, I do want graph data to load quickly, and remember that I’m processing & serving the data from a Raspberry Pi, albeit a Pi 3B+ with attached HD drive.

Paul

(Bill Thomson) #10

TY,S!

POC?

Yep. I’ve never looked at any of my data that’s more than a year old. My thought about that was
I’ve managed to get along just fine before I started collecting the data, so why worry about
losing any of it now?

I’ve noticed that display delay on a Pi3 is reasonable when retrieving six months (or less) of data.
There’s definitely some delay when retrieving a years worth of data. But, as you mentioned,
how often does that actually happen?

(Paul Reed) #11

Proof Of Concept
ie. I didn’t know if the learning curve to use influx & grafana would be too steep a learning curve for me!
I’m still struggling with db queries…

(Bill Thomson) #12

Ah yes. (Slaps self in face) Should’ve known that one. :wink:

Have you had a look at the Influx Line Protocol docs?

(Bill Thomson) #13

Are you trying to work out the queries manually or through the Grafana interface?

(Paul Reed) #14

Both really Bill, mostly through the Grafana interface, but some are direct influxdb queries made by node-RED.

Mostly both are straightforward, but things like calculating kwh/d from power readings was not easy, but ‘google as my friend’, we eventually got there!!

Paul

(Bill Thomson) #15

This is what I came up with. Is yours similar?

SELECT INTEGRAL(*,1h) FROM GENW WHERE TIME >= now() - 30d GROUP BY time(1d)
(GENW is PV output in Watts)

Gives me this:

The top chart uses the query shown above.
The bottom chart shows the data as reported by a WattsOn universal power transducer.

(Paul Reed) #16

I’ve not got as far as charting kwh/d yet, but I’m also using integral to get the daily total;

SELECT cumulative_sum(integral("usage")) / 3600 FROM "iot" WHERE ("device" = 'diverter') AND $timeFilter GROUP BY time(1s) fill(null)

singlestat

The time frame is set in the ‘Singlestat’ Time range tab setting.

(Paul Reed) #17

@Bill.Thomson have you a screenshot of your grafana metrics tab please. I don’t seem to be able to get your query working here :roll_eyes:

(Bill Thomson) #18

Have you changed the query edit method so it looks like this?:
(via the hamburger menu at the right side of the query editor window)

I can’t access the machine running that particular query ATM, but I’m off work in an hour, so I’ll
shoot you a copy when I get home.

(Paul Reed) #19

Yes, and pasted your query (editing for my database details) but whenever I toggle it back, I lose anything that I’ve added. Do you leave it permanently toggled to query view?
I think that I’ll probably find it easier working from a screenshot, so thanks.

(Bill Thomson) #20

Yes.

Odd that it didn’t work. Could you show me your query window with the contents you pasted?