Emoncms.org Upgraded to V10.2.1

Hi Tristan,

I would like to raise the functionality on small screens. Mine is a Moto G6 Play smart phone. Page sizing is failing - pages are oversized. Solar Divert is oversized with oddly sized total boxes. Graphs opens with error (also on PC). Graphs usability on small screen is bad - the feeds in view area is not scrollable and data entry ( for scale etc) does not work (got worse with previous release). I attach screenshots. Some will be down to browser behaviour others page design.

I recognise emoncms does not have a particular focus on responsive pages that resize well, but it would be good to move to a better experience for smaller screens as changes. My observation is that usability is getting worse on small screens.

Many of the page design issues can be experienced by resizing a browser window on a PC.

To balance - I have and do continue to appreciate all the work that goes into emoncms.org. my thanks to the team!!

1 Like

Thanks @NicholasHerbst @iov, noted. Will look into these.

@NicholasHerbst, @iov, If you can. please raise an issue on GitHub GitHub - emoncms/emoncms: Web-app for processing, logging and visualising energy, temperature and other environmental data. It just means problems do not get lost which can happen on community threads - you might also find it has already been reported. By all means link back to your post here from GitHub (and edit your post to include the Issue link).

1 Like

@iov I’ve made a couple of modifications to the My Solar PV Divert app, to reduce the size of the total boxes and improve the alignment, here’s a screenshot with some dummy data, let me know if that works better for you, the changes are live on emoncms.org:

Thanks @TrystanLea - looks better now :slight_smile: The time intervals seem to push the screen to be wider - I think if I recall correctly, they used to wrap around on to the next line before? I fully appreciate the complications of trying to cater for every size of screen - on my piddly iPhone SE, this is what I now see by default, if I scroll down the value boxes now fit quite nicely apart from the black strip on the right due to the interval not wrapping.

Forgot to also add before, I though the 8 hour interval was always quite useful - guess it’s down to personal preference but 1, 4, 8 D, W, M, Y seem right for me. Straw poll?

Thanks @Umski @borpin

I wonder if we switch to drop down menu’s for the time selection?

I’ve been working on the Graph view and have added in a dropdown there:
This is available on emoncms.org and the master branch

@TrystanLea - good plan and makes sense as it’s probably not necessary for each interval to take up valuable screen real estate for a function that’s used intermittently (for me at least) - one extra touch I guess!

As @borpin mentions, a ‘today’ interval would be quite useful - I always assumed this was too tricky to implement but I guess a 00.00 - current time is feasible if it’s used elsewhere (sorry for all the niggly requests!)

Great idea with the drop down menu for the time interval. Looks great!

6 posts were split to a new topic: EmonPi Upgrade Broken