Emoncms.org billing

I have disabled mandatory email verification on login for now, and will send an automated email to accounts that have not yet been verified to give until 1st of June to verify account email address before the mandatory email verification is required again.

Thank you @TrystanLea

Will the sync module be complete before then?

It would be very useful to be able to just “off load” the data asap for those accounts that we know are going, you don’t want everyone using the sync module to download years of data in the closing days before “lockout” or billing starts. That will undoubtedly increase the load on the server and may cause issues for those users that intend to stay for the paid for service.

Im worried that the use of the term lockout may be misunderstood. To be clear we will not be locking anyone out of their accounts or stopping access to account data prior to accounts being archived which will happen 3 months after an account stays in negative balance. After this point account data will be kept for another 6-12 months before being deleted permanently. An email notification will be given at each stage.
It will still be possible to export data from accounts up to the point where the account is archived.

So in the case of an account that stays in negative balance after 1st of July 2018, it will still be possible to access that account and export data all the way up to 1st of October 2018.

The mandatory email verification is only an impediment to accessing data in an account until the account email address is verified. Posting data continues and no data is deleted. In the event that the email is incorrect or that the account verification emails dont get through for any reason, just send a quick email to our support email at [email protected] and we can help out.

For those wanting to download their data with the sync module, its already possible to download feed data as described above, if anyone wishes to start the process of copying accounts by downloading feed data first its possible to do that now. The sync module can be used to download data written since the last download as well, it tells you how many datapoints behind the remote server your local copy is.

@TrystanLea Is it possible get the dashboard dump from my account?
The dashboard building is the most work.
so it’s small dump and for me easy integrade into my emoncms local server.

Or could you implement the “cut’n’paste” dashboard html content text boxes on emoncms.org as discussed in the Copying feeds and dashboards over to another online account? - #6 by pb66 and Portable emoncms dashboards (looking for testers) threads?

regards the sync module

will that functionality be available ahead of the billing start date (with time to do the sync’s)? or if that’s unlikely should we just use the usefulscripts/backup (not the back up module) instead?

I’ve had a look at the sync module code, I haven’t tried it yet, but it seems to only do phpfina, is that a work in progress or will it not be doing all feeds?

What are the differences/benefits of using one method over another? It seems the usefulscripts/backup will sync if run again at a later date and it accommodates all feed type, inputs and processing, but not dashboards.

From what I can see the sync moduleallows you to pick and choose feeds but only does phpfina and doesn’t do any inputs/processing/dashboards as yet. However it does need the whole emonpi repo installed just to trigger the sync, would it not be simpler to also have a commandline alternative rather than messing around with cron etc? Like the post-process module?

Thanks @pb66 @GuidoSo, I will update soon on the sync module and copying dashboards. @Gwil and I have been working on the link between the OpenEnergyMonitor Shop and emoncms.org over the last week , so that its possible to access emoncms credit based on past order spend. We are almost there.

1 Like

As a sidenote, will the delete account and mandatory email confirmation filter back to the main emoncms repo?

We see many emonPi users ask if they can reset emoncms after experimenting with processes etc and I know I could make use of the delete account button in both my test and live servers to either delete old test accounts or to remove dormant projects. The mandatory email conf should be a settings option I think, we do not want to force emonpi users to have to set up email to confirm their own accounts, nor would I want to have to confirm emails on a quick test account, but I do see the need for it on a live server.

Yes, the email verification code has already been merged and is disabled by default.

Ahh ok, I knew the email verification was merged and available, but I didn’t realize that it made email verification mandatory and would result in the lockouts I experienced at emoncms.org, I assumed that was something different as you have now managed to switch it off again, but the verification is still there, just the mandatory bit seems to be “off”.

Here’s the exact line of code that turns on/off email verification on login emoncms/user_model.php at master · emoncms/emoncms · GitHub, if email verification is disabled it wont require email verification on login.

I’ve updated the dashboard module on emoncms.org to include the dashboard html editor, which makes copy and paste download of dashboards possible, I have not yet included the update to use feed tag:name rather than feedid, which will be my next step.

1 Like

So is that line currently commented out on emoncms.org? I’m trying to understand the change that occurred a couple of days ago even though the email verification has been in place for weeks/months. I’m trying to determine the difference between enabled and enforced, we have been “able” to verify emails for some time, but only recently were we not able to log in if we hadn’t verified.

I think the ability to verify email is really useful in all contexts like a email “test”, but the enforcement of mandatory verification should be a setting like multiple_users and remember_me etc.

Yes that line is currently commented on emoncms.org there isnt a sub setting to disable yet.

1 Like

Storing and serving data should not be free. You proposed pricing is very fair, and I will gladly pay to keep this awesome service up and running.

Thankyou for your support @garyjuergens that’s much appreciated!

The sync module now supports downloading phptimeseries, inputs and dashboards! :slight_smile:

You will need the latest version of emoncms (v9.8.30) and the latest version of the sync module.

These will download automatically by running EmonPi/EmonBase update.

The LinuxInstall.md file on github is wonderfully detailed yet extremely simplified.

Is there already a similarly simple way to migrate from emoncms.org to another self-hosted cloud instance? I would much prefer this option to e.g. storing the data on my local emonPi.

Hello @luru, there is not any additional documentation beyond what I think you have seen. What kind of additional information do you need?

Managed to migrate most of what I need with the backup script, thanks.

Some quirks to be remedied, but rather painless :slight_smile: