DIYBMS v4

speaking of tft is the brightness fixed? it’s very dark.
Is there much difference in turning off the led’s in the modules? Mine will be hidden in boxes.

3 posts were split to a new topic: PCB to hold 7 DIYBMS

When I connect some of my v4.21 boards they start to initialize and after a bit the D3 led is getting in red permanently and the board is getting hot … what it this means ? What could be the source of the problem ?

I did change the position on the cells and also the batteries but always got the same problem with those.

the modules need to have their bypass voltage set from the controller. The default as set when programmed would appear to be too low for the batteries they are connected to.

dan

Thanks Dan,

I’m a bit of newbi and lost, so not sure what you mean really, batteries are fully charged, how can set the by pass voltage ?

Jonny

That means the board has started to balance - the voltage in the module is lower than the current voltage of the cell, so balance begins.

Change the voltage level using the controller web interface.

No way to change that unless you alter a resistor on the board - this must be a variance in the way the boards are made - both of mine a quite readable even in bright light.

It can be that I’ve missed it somewhere, how large can the microSD card be?
Does it have to be 2GB or smaller?

64/128 GB cards are available for $1.50.

128/256MB (not GB!!) in $1.75

Obviously I don’t like to buy the small cards, but if there is a problem for the file system…

In the past many devices could not handle above 2GB.

Besides this…
I’m still trying to figure out what does the microSD card do??

My best guess it holds the flash image for cell modules to flash them with the controller board.

Besides this??
Is it optional or mandatory?

Thanks!!

Hi, I would stick to smaller cards for this purpose - 8GB or less.

Currently the SD card allows local logging and can generate log files of events that occur on the BMS.

Going forward it is also there for firmware upgrades, configuration backups and making upgrades more “slick”

Its completely optional at the moment.

2 Likes

Thank you for your clear reply!!
I’ll order some 256gb cards to see if they are really 256 or scam.
If they are real, I’m sure I can replace some older cards in security devices (who can handle over 2gb, and now have 4-16 GB cards) and use those cards for the controller.

For camera, bigger is better.
For the data logging… 2-16 GB is plenty :slight_smile:

Check on a PC and not the ESP32.

Hi.

ESP32 controller problem;

We have 5 banks of 14S LiIon packs.
Each of it connected as single to the new controller design is doing fine.

two connected (28 modules) are also doing fine.

but if connect 3 (42 modules) or more, the controller is doing reboots at random runtime, but mostly when coming from stableizing to running, shortly showing the magic green voltage numbers on the display.

We are using v4.21 modules, latest code on ESP32 and flashed to modules with this.

We have 3 Controllerboards with 3 ESP32, all doing the same way.

Are you using the VERY latest code? There was a change this week to help with more than 28 modules - it was rebooting at random times.

1 Like

Only ESP to flash? or modules also?

Another question is:

Where is http://ip-of-my-diybms/monitor.json gone?

Found it.

monitor2.json

Only ESP32

1 Like

Hi all,
I’m having some noise issue, my version 4.21 & the ESP8266 Controller work fine most of the time, but if I charge or discharge at high amperage, I get comms issue between the controller and the battery modules,
I do remember somewhere in here there was a update to change R5 (510 Ohms to 220 Ohms) on the battery modules ( which I have done ), and I did see ‘somewhere’ in here to change something on the controller itself,
so looking at the schematics between when I had my controller modules built and now I see R2 has changed, Was this changed for noise reasons ?, would this help me any ?

Thank you for any help,

Nigel

Lol…
Sure :slight_smile:
Wasn’t planning on using 256gb on the controllers, even if they are just 50 THB, ($1.60)
If they turn out to be 256Mb, fine for ESP32. Big enough for log files :slight_smile:

@stuart is the one who can really help.

If I recall correctly from the “somewhere” in the thread, it was indeed changed to give more stable results.

One other thing that should help is to wrap the charge cables in aluminium foil (not the bare contacts) and ground those 2 shielded power cables.

Alu foil on the communication wire (TX/RX) can help also.

Please do ground all aluminium foil you are planning to use.

Chicken wire (fine mesh) is perfect barrier also.

The noise is low frequency waves, and mesh of 2.*.2 cm (or so) is small enough to catch the noise.

Catching = getting charged.
Call it static electricity, electro magnetic field, noise, leaking current or what you like.

Without grounding, in a few hours/days it could give a nasty bite. (Depending on mass, and noise)
(Shock hazard)

Most of you who are stupid like me use higher power inverter for some time, without grounding the casing…
And then get small (or larger) bite from touching the casing :slight_smile:
I’m sure I’m not the only one who first needs to feel before I start grounding.