DIYBMS v4

Thx Stuart,
I try to desolder the opto-isolater. This is a good idea. I will try it, till it works. Looking forward to see your bms4 working with my LithiumIon-Battery! Great project!

Hi all.

Thanks again to Stuart and anyone else contributing to the project. I have just got my test-bed up and running and all seems to work well. Hand soldering worked well for me though I think Iā€™ll have to give the fry-pan method a go when I get time to do another batch.

To anyone looking to source parts/boards for this project in New Zealand (or possibly Aussie as well), msg me as I have enough extra parts to make quite a few boards. I hate getting ripped off so ordered in quantities to get decent pricing.
I am happy to offer them at as close to cost plus shipping that I can (without losing money myself). I have to work out exactly what that is, but Iā€™m sure itā€™s much better than trying to source say quantities of 10 for ATTINY/Voltage ref/etc.

Msg me if youā€™re interested. I am happy to offer to those further abroad if no one from my neck of the woods gets back to me (and youā€™re willing to pay for postage).

Thanks,
kiwihacker

Very happy Iā€™ve managed to build my first few modules, its been in interesting journey with surface components. A few times the BMS boards wouldnā€™t boot into normal mode and this turned out to be a dry joint somewhere, solved this by blowing the rework air gun over the entire board to remove any traces of solder paste or flux, re-flowing all the joints solved the problem.

Rework station cost Ā£40, best buy ever.

Target is 20 BMS boards, 14 for my powerwall and the rest for testing/spares.

IMG_7872

1 Like

Nice work

Mark, Try connecting them one at a time. Bet youā€™ll find the faulty one. Check the Opto-isolator, on any you find faulty. Is it the right way around?

hello
i have 10 attiny chip for sale if anybody need them ~?

8 posts were merged into an existing topic: DIY Lithium Battery Balancer and monitoring (BMS)

Hi Stuart,

Any thoughts about this? Iā€™m having to reset random BMSā€™ half a dozen times in the evening to keep them working

Interestingly (Or possibly not), when charging, particularly when the BMSā€™ are balancing they will not lock up. Discharging doesnā€™t seem to make a difference.

I did disconnect each BMS for a day to see if there was any difference (reducing my battery down to 6s). Still I note the lock up tends to be (but not always) at the front of the BMSā€™s (IE BMS 0, 1, and 2).

As I said previously I have the influx DB logs going back weeks if they are of any use?

Thanks

When they lock up is the green LED fully lit up (not flashing) ?

Until This weekend just gone yes, I had left it for a couple of weeks powered up, and restarting the BMS at fault when it happened.

This weekend Iā€™ve been doing some load and discharge tests, so the BMSā€™ have been working instead of just monitoring.

I did notice some occasions where they locked with the LED off.

I only noticed this as the http: monitor would complain.

Ok, diagnosing and fault finding intermittent issues is always challenging.

I suspect the module is hanging whilst waiting for data to arrive or in the middle of a data receive and is stuck thinking more data is going to arrive - only a guess at the moment. Need to review the code.

If you would Iā€™d really welcome it.

Anything I can do to assist?

Some what ironically, Iā€™ve tried for an hour to get a module to hang and it wonā€™t !

When do your modules hang during charging or discharging ?

Hi Stuart, thanks for the quick consideration of my issues. I do recognise that you donā€™t have to, and aprechiate the effort youā€™ve put into all versions of your BMS, making it available to us, and providing support.

Iā€™ve had 7s pack (just 1P) during testing. I wonder if thatā€™s potentially the cause?

I charged the 7s pack and left it all plugged in for a day or so. Andafter that I started to take some mha from the pack (down to 4.0V). Thatā€™s when it started locking up.

I then left the pack alone, connected to the BMSā€™ and controller, feeding data to the database. I did this for 2-3 weeks. Randomly BMSā€™ would lock up.

A few days ago, I removed the last BMS to reduce the Pack to a 6S pack (Still waiting for a charger to arrive that will cope with 7s.

Once down to 6s, I started charging, and noticed the BMS balancing, and not locking up. It did lock up only once during charging. I did a small discharge and donā€™t recall a lock up, but I only discharged for a few hours, and at a very low current.

Once charged closer to full (About 4.1V per Series). I left the pack alone for a while. I was getting lock upā€™s as usual.

Generally I find that itā€™s the first 3 BMSā€™ that lock up. Be it one or two. Never more then 2. Less often itā€™s cell 5 or 6.

I cannot tell you or a definite way to get it to lock up.

Note that Iā€™ve used the pre compiled code. I work in IT, and wasnā€™t able to work my way thru the ā€˜manualā€™ way to upload it. I will admit that I didnā€™t break by arse to compile the code as there was precompiled code available.

This generates a question. Is the pre-compiled code an older version then the code that requires compiling? Maybe I should bite the bullet and work out how to do it with the un-complied codeā€¦ Problem is I have no idea where to start, and cannot find an idiots guide.

Thanks.
Simon

That code is the current version.

Iā€™ve never had the modules lock up during normal usage, on a couple of occasions Iā€™ve had a module hang with the green light on - normally during me plugging in cables or randomly unplugging stuff.

I think this happens at the exact same time as the module is trying to take a voltage reading - it puts the LED on, starts the reading process but never finishes. The ATMEL chip hasnā€™t hung or the in-built watchdog timer (8 seconds) would have rebooted the chip.

Iā€™m running a 4S1P test environment on these at the moment and left them running. Internally the code does keep a count of any corrupt data packets that the modules receive, Iā€™ll add some code to expose this on the web page just to ensure its not a data corruption issue.

Thanks Stuart,

You are a star. Bet you will have to wait a while though :slight_smile:

Iā€™ve left the BMS running for a week to try and catch a lock up. I finally got 1 module to hang at some point yesterday.

What I noticed is that the module before the one that locked up received a corrupt data packet (the only 1 in a week of running). Iā€™m thinking that this packet was then passed down the chain and the next module to receive it locked.

More investigation to do, but at least Iā€™ve got a train of thought to work with.

Hi, great job Stuart. Congrats!

Iā€™ve been reading about this project for a while and I decided to build my own. Iā€™ve been meaning to buy the PCB from jlcpcb with the ā€œSMT Assemblyā€ service (for both save money and lack of right equipment).

Unfortunately it requires two additional files besides the Gerber file:

• BOM
  • CPL (Pick&Place File)

The first one is available thanks to Stuart but I didnā€™t find CPL anywhere.
Is it possibile to get it?

3 posts were split to a new topic: DIYBMS - Active Balancing

there you go just make shure everything is ok
v4 edit.csv (3.9 KB) v4-top-pos.csv (1.7 KB)