DIY Lithium Battery Balancer and monitoring (BMS)

Didnt know this would be publish to public.
How do you send private messages??
Gday Brett
Thanks for the email, its great talking to other Australian who know our supply problems and other issue we face.

I am in Melbourne, VIC. Wow $35. i was hoping to get my below $20. I have done my components list and i have that below $15. I am a bit worried about SMD, never soldered them before. So i am wondering how many will end up in the bin.

Couple things that i would like to know is where did you get the solder paste from and the small needle points?

Also did you find an order to solder the parts in which was easy?

However when it comes to putting it all together and getting the modules up and running i recon i will need some help when that happens.

I am all good with the 3D printer, i have 2 and my school has plenty more i could use. 4 by 6 18650 battery Holder by andymc70 - Thingiverse . I do some design work as well. Thanks for the offer.

Andy

PS Not sure if you can see my direct email

best way to do these modules is in a fry pan on low heat

I going to watch Stuart video a few times before i start.

need a magnifier glass for the 805 components

1 Like

Download Discord now

I have some extra assembled boards. Im in the usa though.

35 dollars for each module ?? what did you do :o

If you buy cheap and nasty you get cheap and nasty.

Have to factor in lose as will if i dont factor that in cost me $20 to $25 aud each

The products are the same, if you buy them from a reseller the price will go up but the quality is the same …

Been out of things for a while but resurrecting my powerwall and BMS setup. @Odys1981 sorry the PCB design is not mine.

nice project (I learned about it via the GreatScott video), unfortunately my hands are not steady enough to make SMT soldering a very practical thing to do, is there anyone who is manufacturing these?

I don’t think so - perhaps if you post your town/location somebody may be near to you that can help.

Hello all,

After the GreatScott YouTube video, this project has a lot of interest once again!

Today I’ve merged the code @Colin_Hickey produced back into the core GitHub repository and also made the smaller PCB style the default.

Just so you are all aware, there isn’t anything inherently wrong with the v3 design - however I am working on a v4 which uses a different chipset and module design, the main benefit of this v4 model is the reduced power consumption - less than 1mA compared to 10-12mA on the v3.

V4 is not ready for public use yet. I’ve no confirmed dates for release and I do this on a part time/project basis and life/work gets in the way :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hey, GreatScott bought me here, Im coming from the ESK8 community and there is a “shortage” of small bmss like yours that have a feature to edit the voltages and see them without taking the whole skateboard apart and measuring by hand

Could a 10 and 12s version of this bms be made easily?

Yes, there isn’t really a limit on the number of modules you can string together - however you might find the physical space is more restrictive on a skateboard so no room for all the PCBs

I’m in the Los Angeles area (Simi Valley)

David Lang

That would take up much more space, I was thinking of one large 10s pcb

Theres nothing to stop a single PCB being made - but thats quite a bit of work!

Nice idea to reduce power consumption! And hugh thanks for this wonderfull project!

But actually 11 mA * 3.7 V * 14 modules (for my 14s li-io-setup) means 0.57 Watts. For me this is fine as I use it for my DIY-powerwall. I will lose 5 kWh per year. Thus, not even one 1 EUR per year. So I keep on building the v3 (already ordered the pcb’s…)

What I really would like to see are two dry contacts as many inverters have two input ports. One to detect a high cell or too much heat and one for low cell.
Any idea how to add this feature?

You can use the controller - it has several unused I/O pins available. This would probably need to have an interface board made with optoisolators and relay components connected.

The controller software would also need to be changed to spot the conditions when you want to shut things down (or start things up!)

Not that difficult in reality, but not something I’ve got spare time to take a look at now.