DIY Lithium Battery Balancer and monitoring (BMS)

edit: Well, after reviewing everything I am having the same I2c issues everyone else has had. It appears there is a com issue but without a scope I dont know any other way to tell if it is sending or receiving anything. Any idea what to do or how to test the i2c without a scope

Stuart or Colin, I need a little Help I cant seem to get my boards provisioned. I am using ver 2.1 board and soldered everthing up properly. man it was hard to figure out where pin one for the voltage reg and i2c isolator went. But I got it figured out. I program them and the program with the boot loader fine and with the bms module firmware and they work fine. when I plug them in the green light comes on then goes out for a second then lights back up but when I select provisioning the blue light on the wemos lights up but the bms doesnt do anything and I get no return for the provision. Was wondering if youhave seen this issue. Also D1 is my scl and D2 is my sda. I even tried swapping them. The only component that was used that is different that what you suggested in BOM is I used attiny 85-20su. But from what I have read that shouldnt matter right. But what do I know this kind of electronics thing (I used to hardwired radio and PC electronic builds) is new to me. Any help would be appreciated.

After some hours and a blown up usb controller on the Wemos D1 (the one in the picture) i finally have a little board to connect the modules to!

For some reason the regulators or the usb chip on the wemos fried itself. When i power it with 3.3v it will still boot up and i can acces it through a browser so i’ll just keep it like this till i need to reflash it!

Didn’t manage to provision my first module yet, for some reason he can’t find it. Also tried a i2c scanner on a Arduino Uno connected to the module but that also didn’t yield a i2c device found (or is this not possible with the code on the attiny85?).

PS: i made a little jumper on the ground powering the Wemos so i can check the voltage of the regulator safely!

Hello again
Still suffering I2C comm (non-comms) between wemos and module. I have done more testing. I am posting the results that may give the more experienced a clue to my woes.

Step 1:
I can upload and run a Blink sketch through the ATTiny on the module, which will then pass through the ADUM and cause an LED to blink. This makes me think that the ATTiny/ADUM relationship is working.

Step 2:
I have 2 very simple I2C sketches (master | slave). I put the Master Sketch on the wemos. I put the slave sketch on the ATTiny85 SMD on the module.
I can achieve Comms if I hook-up the wemos directly to the 6-pin (programmer connections using 4-pins) that go directly to the ATTiny.

When I try to move the connectors from the 6-pin programmer to the 4-pin connector on the module which go through the ADUM, I get NO-Comms.

The only thing I can come up with is that their is not a common ground, but when I try to establish one, that does not make it work.

Any ideas?:frowning_face:

Did you purchase the correct adum chip? Some of them only have one way communication which won’t work with this design!

The writing on the chip is: 1250ARZ ADUM.

I finally got my set working, two showed 0v or 65v so i figured provisioning 3 modules. It worked instantly!!

Regarding your coms, do you have a arduino Uno?? I used one to program them all.

What i did, because i’m kinda a noob but learning fast on this one! :slightly_smiling_face:

1: configure the sketch on the uno as “arduino ISP” its a standard script inside IDE.
2: configure the right values and settings for the attiny85 then disconnect the uno.
3: wire the isp connector up to the uno and plug it back in.
4: burn bootloader to attiny85
5: upload sketch

Then it is absolutely important to plug 1 module to the wemos/nodemcu and provision it. Don’t unplug anything!!! everytime i did i had to flush eeprom and do basically step 3-5 again!!!
When the green led on the module is blinking while uploading your script, atleast the attiny85 is good!
After you hook it up to a cell (i use 1 for testing) the green led lights up, for a second, turns off and after a second or 2-3 it will light up and stay like that. If its in that state do the provisioning.

I hope this helps !!

1 Like

I’ve got two questions;

1: Which steel cabinet are you using for mounting your batteries?
2: And is the software at the point where it can be used for balancing? Read something about that the code is there but not yet functional?

Thank you!

Yes the balancing works - check out @Colin_Hickey version of the code.

Hey Mr. Joey!

1: configure the sketch on the uno as “arduino ISP” its a standard script inside IDE.
2: configure the right values and settings for the attiny85 then disconnect the uno.
3: wire the isp connector up to the uno and plug it back in.
4: burn bootloader to attiny85
5: upload sketch

Thanks for your post of steps. I was using a USBasp for programming the ATTiny. I am now using my UNO.

I also purchased a reworking station and made a new board using hot air.

I have had further success. My I2C comms is working. Running the Controller from my wemos, It connects to the module, but then fails. See below for Serial Monitor output:

runProvisioning
Found 24

connection failed

Any obvious things to start checking?

Thanks for all those who have been helping me Colin, Stuart, Joey…

Bob

What value are you using for pullups on the ic2 connections? I have mine using 1K i’m sure at the moment.

Just for info… the “found 24” means that the controller has scanned the i2c bus and found a device which answers to address 24

Hi,
I ordered pcb and some parts , but i would ask:
Why not use specialized IC like LTC6811 ?
Ok is quite expensive chip but you can build more compact solution and is simple to interface with arduino.

Great!! you have progress that is all we need right? Haha.

What i found is that with one module it can give errors. If you can try to make 3 modules useable, you can leave the load resistor out of it for testing, and then it shouldn’t give any errors anymore!

hey guys; Thanks for your responses.

runProvisioning
Found 24

connection failed

The ‘connection failed’ was due to I had the wemos configured with InfluxDB in the ‘On’ position with no connectable information. I have changed the configuration to ‘Off’ for InfluxDB.

In the above scenario; no module stats ever popped up.

Colin; my Resistors are 1K ohms.

But now my wemos is back to not recognizing any module. I have reset the bootloader on the ATTiny, I have reloaded the script on the ATTiny. I have reloaded the script on the wemos. Still, I am back to :’ Provision 2 no module’

Either running the Test Controller or the Controller sketches.

Joey. I do just have one module without a load resistor. Should I try attaching a load resistor or making more modules?

Bob

I think you should be fine without the load resistor, do you have the thermistor connected out of interest? I know Adam welch had issues when he didn’t have it connected and was attempting to provision

Col

Yes. I do have the thermistor in place on module. But I will double check solid connections.

Ah i know this one!! you have to flush the eeprom!! I did it with a basic eeprom sketch that wrote all entry’s to 255 (its 0 by default). But don’t quote me on the number, just google flush eeprom attiny85!

You guys seem to run into unusual problems that I’ve never seen/had. The ATTINY chips have been rock solid for me when programming and “playing” - never needed to burn the fuses more than once and never had issues with the EEPROM settings etc !

Live and learn!

I know some of the unusual problems i had were purely down to myself and happy to admit them if it helps others. Once everything was done as per the design it’s been working great and provisioning fine.

I had an issue with burning up a track on a board which was down to reversing VCC and GND on the input, how can you be so stupid you ask? Well, I foolishly grabbed a connection lead from the parts box and it turned out I had leads from two different suppliers and one had the colours one way and the other had it reversed and I didn’t check…

The second major issue I had or seemed major was the fuses, I hadn’t set them so the speed of ATtiny was incorrect. I was proud of myself that I found a work around and masked the issue successfully by altering the clock stretch, but that was a fudge and when I set the fuses and speed correctly it worked great.

The third thing was not an error as such but being lazy, with one module I found pullup’s weren’t required and was also initially convinced they were already on a Wemos D1 mini, but after trying to provision multiple units, they are not on a Wemos so needed to be added. Currently running 1k.

The last was not a mistake as such, but did take me a little while to track down, and that was interference from my inverter. A screened power output cable to connect to the mains solved that.

2 Likes

Well Stuart, the eeprom thing only came into my sight because once a module was found and the esp lost power. It wouldn’t see the module anymore! Only flushing eeprom helped. And i had that on 5 boards now, i guess its not normal? :stuck_out_tongue: