Current Monitor/Shunt

Germany, lowersaxonia

Mouser has the part you’re looking for and has distributors in Europe.

Here’s a link to the INA228
https://eu.mouser.com/Search/Refine?Keyword=ina228

Price ranges from 3,47 to 5,90 € for 1 device.

HTH

yeah 20€ shipping for one peace :slight_smile: but ok mouser have the ina822 in stock.

Is there a reason why the ESP32 controller can’t be used to program the shunt? I used the controller’s AVR programmer with my modules, but am scratching my head about programming the shunt as I only have a regular USB serial adapter, not a USB ASP adapter. There’s very little info about this step, just a brief section of the intro video where Stuart is using an Arduino Uno to program the shunt.

Hi, as i had the same issue a few weeks ago, i can tell you: “Relax”.
On the Shunt Stuard uses a new ATtyni which have to be programmed over UPDI.
after some investigation i found the easyest and cheapest solution (as Stuard did) was to buy an Arduino Uno and installed this Software on it: GitHub - ElTangas/jtag2updi: UPDI programmer software for Arduino (targets Tiny AVR-0/1/2, Mega AVR-0 and AVR-DA/DB MCUs).
The installation is than more/less like an Arduino sketch.

This!

I’m looking to order the shunt board from JLC… The component mounting looks way off… Should I be worried? I would have thought it would all line up.

it looks like the parts are mirrored?

Yes that’s wrong!

Did you select to assemble the back of the board?

I’ve seen these issues with jlc previously, sometimes it’s just a website error on their side.

Yeah… Just a website error… The DFM analysis came back fine.

Now I just have to find all the missing parts! That may take a month to source! Stupid component shortage!!!

Can I use the LM5009 instead of the LM5009A? I can dig into the datasheet, but you guys might know off the top of your head. I can find some LM5009s… but the LM5009As are scarce. I can get some from ali express… but are they genuine? do I care?

Stick with the A variety.

Ok this is going to be another simple question most likely. But how do you know that you got a legit lm9005a.

I just got the last 5 in stock from Arrow USA but as i am soldering it i am going there are no indications that is from TI or a LM9005a

Did i get the correct part or is it just power it up and see if it goes puff before i solder up the other shunts?

Blessed Davey, those last 5 I had bought from Arrow USA 3 weeks ago, but they did not want to send them to Spain for not being a company, the problems that are currently brought with imports, VAT and all that madness, and when I could fix it with The order through a friend’s company, they told me that there was no stock, anyway, I’m happy for you, Unfortunately I have a Shunt from a friend stopped because the LM was broken. almost a year at mouser and IT

For those in the USA who are looking to add a shunt to their diyBMS setup, I should have eight available in a couple weeks (currently in manufacturing, shipment of PCBs and parts expected next week). The board will require the actual shunt (not part of the PCB) and two jumper wires to connect the shunt to the PCB, I can solder wires to the PCB based on the 300A shunt that I have on hand if desired.

Cost will be $25 USD plus shipping. If interested in reserving one please drop me a message. Since there is a limited number available, they will be available in a first come first served basis. PayPal payment request will be sent once the boards are in-hand and ready to ship out.

Shunt PCB and parts have arrived, I’ve assembled one so far and attached a 500A shunt (larger than I will need for a while):

Excuse the rather ugly crimps on the wires going to the shunt, these were a pair of scrap wires that already had the crimps on them. I will be cutting those off and redoing them prior to this going into service.

I’ll be testing this board throughout the week and once confirmed working I’ll assemble the remaining boards and they will be available for those in the USA who are interested.

1 Like

Great job Stuart, i have some question about parts. U2 ATtiny1614-S, U4 ADM2483xR, U5 LM5009 is not in stock. I have look everywhere no luck yet, is there replacement for this parts that is currently in stock?

I ordered the INA218 directly from TI, ATTiny1614 from Mouser and the other two from AliExpress. I didn’t have many issues sourcing them and will have a handful of spares available later this week.

However, it looks like the ATTiny1614 is backordered now for most sites.

1 Like

Thanks

Hi, ¿There is any posibility of use this shunt sensor INA for a multi sensor reading? the idea is a segment current use from different shunts over the same sensor in diferente time interval to have a use data, not only general purpose data on DC, like openmonitor do over AC. Thanks in advance.