Anyone applied for Model Metering and Monitoring Service Package (MMSP) using the OpenEnergyMonitor heatpump monitor

Hi,
I’m looking to get an air source heat-pump fitted, and was wondering if anyone has tried to apply for the MMSP grant using the OpenEnergy heatpump monitoring system. It sounds like it’s worth £805 initial payment plus £115 per year for 7 years, so would be very worthwhile. But it sounds bureaucratic.

1 Like

I applied for it and it was trivial. The installers handled the whole thing and I just got more money plus a login to the website where the live info is available.

In fact it’s going so well I made this EmonCMS app to allow me to experiment with the heat pump because I could see so much data:

https://community.openenergymonitor.org/t/heat-pump-experimentation-app-release-news/

Feel free to ask any questions.

1 Like

That’s great to hear, I assume that was with the melcloud system that you are using @MyForest ?

I had a good look through the MMSP requirements recently and it looks like our kit should meet the requirements, I had thought there would be more of an approvals process but it looks like you just need to have it installed by an MCS installer and signed off as meeting the requirements.

Id be happy to help @richb99999 if you are keen to try applying for it. I think there might be a couple of things on the software side that I could do to aid in the reporting.

1 Like

Thanks David/Trystan. I have not quite decided which installer/heatpump to go with yet. I would have fitted the OpenEnergy system anyway, but it’s good to know that it might be possible to offset the costs of the heat monitor/Raspberry Pi’s etc. I

1 Like

Yep, it’s called EMP3-M. I posted a few pics here:

Id be happy to help @richb99999 if you are keen to try applying for it. I think there might be a couple of things on the software side that I could do to aid in the reporting.

You are wonderful @TrystanLea

1 Like

I’ve just had a Samsung 16kw Mono heat pump fitted which uses a Sika VVXC20 5-80l/min flow sensor that goes to the indoor Samsung control box. This has a small indoor display with lots of info but I’ve looked at the installer manual and there’s nothing about being able to view it elsewhere/internet connectivity etc.
I’d love to apply for MMSP but I’m worried about:

1. I suspect it’s not possible to piggy back off this sensor because the installer had to extend the cable which was problematic (fine wires within the cables, wouldn’t connect via Wago connectors, had to use some special small round connectors).
  2. This sensor is on the return and I would have thought the metering would need to be on the flow as it enters the building?
  3. Given the advice about heat meters and pressure loss, I don’t think it would be wise to fit a second one.

I’ve called my installer who advised me to call their supplier but they won’t talk to me because I’m the end user.

Any help appreciated!

Looking at my output from the My Heatpump app (set up with all feeds except heatpump_heat/_kwh), it’s all the info required if I add the Carnot COP equation in.

But my interpretation of the MMSP essential guide is that a heat meter is required.

Have I got that right?

1 Like

Yes, I believe so

1 Like