Upgrade emoncms (software &hardware)

Hi,
How now I am using emoncms with old version 10.1.2 (emonSD-30Oct18) and and old versin of raspberry harfware (Pi 2 Model B) with raspbian 9.9

Now I’m planning to upgrade to raspberry pi3 and latest version of emoncms, but I’m not sure what is the best method to upgrade hardware and software, keeping all data andconfiguration, any doc or step by step for this upgrade of hardware and software?

Thanks

Hello @klxout, the recommended upgrade path is to write the latest SD card image to a new SD card and then import your existing data from the old SD card using the method documented here Update & Upgrade - Guide | OpenEnergyMonitor

For the hardware you can just swap out the Pi’s.

Is this an emonPi (i.e. the all in one) @klxout?

Doesn’t it need a config tweak around the clock speed?

It might do, @TrystanLea, @Bill.Thomson fix for the clock speeds from different RPis should really be included in the image and the EmonScripts repo.

@klxout why change the Pi? I’m running emoncms on a PiZ quite happily. Just update the emonSD image.

What’s needed for the Pi 2B:

et seq.

1 Like

Thanks @Robert.Wall @borpin @TrystanLea

Correct is a raspberry pi3 (replaced by ip raspberry pi 4) and now Installing with latest prebuild. thanks

i have a problem, when I try to make backup of old verison, seems taht backup module is not working, create backup button no action and no result

no log on emoncms.log

Any suggestion how to make this backup? Is is correct to make backup version 10.1.2 and then restore to latest prebuild 2019, no database or other component with incompatibility?

thanks

Hi,

no problems with pi2, now I have a pi3, and use for other actions and I’ll get more performance
Thanks

Any problems if after write new image I execute apt-get update & apt-get upgrade to update os packages to latest versions? any known incompatibility with emoncms 10.2.3

After upgrade to latest version with new mage seems that data hasbeen restored, but I ahve detected some feed that are showed as inactive and on old version were working… any suggestion hot to debug this issue?

thanks

Feeds from where and how e.g. temperature via MQTT - Is the new Pi on the same IP address?

I never bought a Pi3 - always felt the gain for the cost didn’t merit the investment over the Pi 2B+.

While the performance gain isn’t stellar, it is noticable.
But, (unless one has a Pi2B+ v1.2) the Pi3 is able to boot from USB as well.
That may be a moot point too depending on what one wants to do with their Pi.

And… I seem to recall the cost of a Pi3 on this side of the pond is a bit less than it is in the UK.

I want to get my hands on the new 8MB Pi4. That ought to be interesting…

It was the bang for buck that just didn’t do it for me. I still don’t own a Pi3 (except the one in the emonPi and that doesn’t count).

I never saw the point of this. A oneway mod for no discernible benefit - just move /boot on to an old, small SD Card.

You will need the new RaspberryPi OS 64 then :grin:.

I’ve got a 4Mb (with SSD) running Home Assistant and a whole host of addons and it is currently using 35% memory. I don’t need any more for this application and it is the most intensive Pi application I have. One thing I did find was the default swap size on Raspbian is really small and a fixed size (SD Card wear mitigation) - expanding that made a big difference to the amount of memory consumed. It seemed, the processes used less swap the more there was (by size not % of course) which was odd - almost as if they grabbed swap as there was not much to be had.

True, the mod is one-way, but it doesn’t stop a Pi so-modded from booting from the µSD slot.
i.e. disconnect the external boot media, and it’s back to the way it was before the mod.

What it gave me was a way to get a Pi3 online when I didn’t have a spare µSD card.

The announcement of said OS was how I found out about the 8MB version of the “4.”

1 Like

Hi,

Inputs from fronius are workins but some feeds calculated from thins inputs are not updated.
New image is on pi3 wkth a temporary ip, different from old image, is this the issue? At this momment I am evaluating migratikn result and for this ip is different…

Thanks

El dg., 31 de maig 2020, 11:50, Brian Orpin via Community <[email protected]> va escriure:

You need to check the processing I think the naming of the Node:Feed may have changed since 9.9 (That is a pretty big leap) plus there have been changes to the input processing.

If you set log level in settings.ini to debug, do you get any errors?

Error that appears is :

2020-05-31 16:05:18.000|ERROR|emoncms_mqtt.php|ErrorException: A non-numeric value encountered in /var/www/emoncms/Modules/process/process_processlist.php:1393
Stack trace:
#0 /var/www/emoncms/Modules/process/process_processlist.php(1393): exceptions_error_handler(2, 'A non-numeric v...', '/var/www/emoncm...', 1393, Array)
#1 /var/www/emoncms/Modules/process/process_model.php(71): Process_ProcessList->add_feed('34', 1590941117, 'nan', NULL, Object(Process))
#2 /var/www/emoncms/Modules/process/process_model.php(122): Process->__call('add_feed', Array)
#3 /var/www/emoncms/scripts/services/emoncms_mqtt/emoncms_mqtt.php(381): Process->input(1590941117, 'nan', '29:34,29:3')
#4 [internal function]: message(Object(Mosquitto\Message))
#5 /var/www/emoncms/scripts/services/emoncms_mqtt/emoncms_mqtt.php(142): Mosquitto\Client->loop()
#6 {main}

but not sure if this is the problem, because I don’t know how to fins 34 feed, I think that is a post process but where is id postprocess?

thanks

Missatge de Brian Orpin via Community <[email protected]> del dia dg., 31 de maig 2020 a les 13:44:

upgrade was from 10.1.2 to latest, not from 9.9

Misunderstood your first post then.

What is the Mosquitto payload & topic you are sending that is failing?

The error is raised here

$tmp - really - horrible - that is first lesson for programming for dummies - use names that make sense!

@TrystanLea, @Gwil