Rusty with Raspi but trying to set up MBUS to read Sontex 789

Hi, Ive just got my MBUS to USB reader in the post and am trying to read data from my Sontex 789 Heat meter. Following the instructions on a previous post, I managed to navigate to the EmonHubMBUSInterfacer.py file changed line 402 from 0x5b to 0x7b and back again restarting emonhub twice.

My emonhub logger is still reporting invalid MBUS data but I can see what I think is a new device in my inputs

with some data. Is this the heat meter? (screen shot attached). If it is what do the inputs represent?

I would like to sort this myself if I can, but if not Ill get Glyn to log in and do it. :slight_smile: Thanks Mark

Just realised my emoncms has stopped and wont restart!

Phew, Ok deleted the MBUS code from the config file and back to normal now :slight_smile:

The 789 is tricky to set up reading via MBUS, it’s documented here but it’s awkward process: https://docs.openenergymonitor.org/emonhub/emonhub-interfacers.html#sontex-789

Take a look at your emonhub.log which will tell you if you have any communication e.g

tail /var/log/emonhub/emonhub.log -f

This system was installed by Custom Renewables right? I can connect remotely and setup this for you if you like?

HI Glyn, I started with that link but the two files mentioned:

python3 /opt/emoncms/modules/usefulscripts/mbus/mbus_app_reset.py (maybe optional)
python3 /opt/emoncms/modules/usefulscripts/mbus/mbus_request_data_5b.py

arent in the folder. Instead the files are called mbus_check_address.py and mbus_set_address.py so i cant really follow it.

I installed the system myself. Thanks

Ah you need to run a git pull to update the repo and pull in the new files

cd /opt/emoncms/modules/usefulscripts
git pull

Hi Glyn, it brought a lot of new folders down. in the mbus folder I just found 3 files, two the same as before and an mbus_set_baud.py as attached.

Ah you need to be on the master branch:

cd /opt/emoncms/modules/usefulscripts
git checkout master
git pull

Got it, I will have a play tonight :slight_smile:

Hi Glyn, tried the scripts as descibed using the default settings, definitely found data, but on restarting Emonhub, MBUS data was still described as invalid. Ive printscreened the results.

Sorted it Glyn, realised I had to change the device in the config settings to the default one used by your testing program (ie device = /dev/ttyAMA0 to device = /dev/ttyUSB0 for anyone looking at this later) Thanks Glyn

1 Like

Great, nice work :+1:

3 posts were split to a new topic: Reading MBUS from Sontex Supercal 5