Pulse sensor RPI directly

I think that might be incorrect…

Certainly my setup works. Connected to Pin 15, GPIO22.

You could argue it says “GPIO Pin number” not “GPIO Number” :slight_smile:

Swapped too pin 15 gpio 22 already tried a few diffenet pins over the days nothing has brought it too life pretty sure it’s a dead sensor

Still nothing in the emonhub log

Measuring the voltage with a multi meter

Measure
from power too data 5.1v
From power too ground 5.2

@Gwil Dead sensor?

1 Like

Days of research and testing down the drain if that’s whats actually up spent along time

was that tested how you wanted

Power too data on the right settings on the multimeter? I’m not a pro :slight_smile:

very little varience when testing 0.0X V

I have never seen the little green light flash on the OPS in the days of testing

I think it’s dead something must have worked by now it’s a fairy simple project

Ah, GPIO Pins are 3.3V not 5V!

I think 5V doesn’t do them any good (but I could be wrong).

Testing with the multi meter on the little dupont clips still all connected too the pi says 5v PWR-GND & PWR-DATA so it’s sending power back down the data into the pi gpio?

It doesn’t send data, it sends a voltage high/low to trigger the pin. so allows the voltage you feed in through back to the GPIO Pin as ‘pulse’. The Pi software then detects this ‘pulse’ on the pin.

Definitely not 5V tolerant.

Just checked that myself so should have powered the ops from 3.3v? Or the OPS is broken and is just sending voltage back down the line

My heads fried from it all just like my rpi :joy:

Yes. I’m not sure of the impact of the 5V. It might still work - try it :slight_smile:

Oh and if you change the emonhub config, you must restart the service.

sudo systemctl restart emonhub
1 Like

I was powering it over 3v for quite awhile noticed some used 5v gave it a try see if it fixed my issues

Still the same using 3v

No signs of life

If lined up correctly with the meter LED and wired to 3.3 (or 5) volt - just the power and ground, I think you should see the pulse on the outside of the OPS flash when the meter flashes.

1 Like

Yep this isn’t happening it’s gotta be dead sadly

Email the shop.

1 Like

We are sending @Sharpy another sensor.

The failure rate on these sensors is very low, but just in case, we have thoroughly tested this replacement.

2 Likes

@Gwil, am I right that it should just flash when powered (and data line not connected)?

1 Like

Appreciate that thank you

Here is most of what we know of the optical sensor.
Measurements & cct dgm: First try with EmonPi - Pulsecount stuck at 1 - #16 by Robert.Wall
Also Adjusting sensitivity of Optical Pulse Sensor - #21 by Kempson
Wire colours: 3.3V power: red, GND: black, output: blue
It certainly runs quite happily on 3.3 V.

From reading the above, you’ll see it doesn’t need a pulse, a steady light (daylight, a torch) is enough, and the output voltage can be read with a multimeter.

1 Like

I’ve just tested it and yes: the LED should flash with only the power and ground connected.

1 Like