Octopus Agile emoncms app

Is there any way it’s possible to extract the current Agile 1/2 hour rate in a form you could use with your current use input so that you could calculate and display current hourly cost?

My family are all showing interest in minimising electricity cost and this might be a good way of illustrating the hours to avoid.

Very interesting to read your experience to date. Thanks also to @TrystanLea for his efforts in developing the app.

I’m participating in a government-backed initiative with Octopus and PowerVault (PowerVault is a UK manufacturer of battery storage) . The aim is to look at the possible savings and demand side reduction of electrical consumption by using solar generation, battery storage and demand side control (Octopus Agile). The battery was only installed yesterday and the unit hasn’t been added to the trial as of yet, but the idea is to make use of AI to customise when the battery charges/discharges depending on solar generation, demand and low lost electricity.

Paul

1 Like

Octopus Agile App v2

I’ve been doing a bit more work on the Octopus Agile emoncms app, its coming along nicely! Here are the new features:

• Current price and consumption and cost in last half hour shown in the top bar
  • 4h+ agile pricing shown on initial load
  • graph legend, suggested by @borpin

• Flip between energy and cost mode to see impact of half hourly price on actual end cost of consumption. Notice here how the height of the night time EV charging bars reduces significantly in the cost screenshot compared to the energy screenshot:

Energy view

Cost view

Solar PV / Agile Outgoing support

The app now includes the ability to explore the agile outgoing smart export tariff as @Zarch suggested. In addition to calculating export value and average unit price, the app also calculates the value of the solar self consumption based on the half-hourly value of otherwise imported electricity on the agile tariff. The combined value of the self-consumption and export is also displayed.

In the month long average below covering 13 Sept to 13 Oct we can see the expected result that the value of the day time self consumption is a little lower than the cost of the imported electricity which is greater during the more expensive evening peak.

The export value of the solar matches pretty closely to the fixed agile outgoing price of 5.5p/kWh. The combined value of the Solar in this example month is ~7.7 p/kWh (32% lower than the import unit price).

This house includes PV diversion and EV charging. It would be interesting to model the addition of battery storage to use more of the solar and reduce peak time consumption.

Referral link

I’m now an Octopus customer! Although still in the process of switching over to the Agile tariff as I dont yet have a smart meter. If you find the above useful and are thinking of switching to Octopus, feel free to use my referral link for £50 octopus credit: You've been referred by a friend! | Octopus Energy
It will also be a nice bonus incentive for me to continue development of this app :slight_smile:

The latest version is now available in the app module master branch:
GitHub - emoncms/app: Emoncms App module: application specific dashboards: includes myelectric, mysolarpv, myheatpump and solar + wind app.

6 Likes

Awesome @TrystanLea, this is fantastic work.

Will this update be coming to emoncms.org too?

1 Like

Thanks @Zarch yes I will upload to emoncms.org today.

Uploaded to emoncms.org, let me know how you get on with it.

Hi

How would you best set the latest version up if you don’t have solar?

You only need to configure the import and import_kwh feeds. use_kwh and solar_kwh are optional. It basically works the same, but you need to configre import and import_kwh to be your consumption feeds.

Not sure what i’m doing wrong, but I only see the incoming value updating when looking on emoncms.org… it doesn’t seem to pick up any of the kwh figures. (although they are confirmed as populated in feeds as well as MySolar)

Apologies, not had time to test this on my local emonpi.

Thanks @Zarch do you mind if I take a look at your account to see what is going wrong?

Be my guest… I have nothing to hide in there!! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Thanks @Zarch, looks like you have two sets of kWh feeds and the app is pointing to the empty set :slight_smile:

No matter how many times I changed the pull downs and launched the app, it only seemed to finally take the correct values when I deleted those defunct old counters out of my feeds.

Strange. Anyway, seems to be pulling some stuff now… will explore.

Appreciate your hard work Trystan, thanks. :+1:

1 Like

Just had a quick thought on the export pricing.

Would it be possible to add in two comparisons versus Agile Outgoing?

1. Deemed 50% export at 5.38p per unit?
  2. Actual export, but fixed on Octopus Outgoing at 5.5p per unit?

As i’m guessing this is what most people want to know… which of the three options is going to be best for them

• Staying on deemed 50% export
  • Moving to Octopus Actual Outgoing Agile
  • Moving to Octopus Actual Outgoing Fixed

Does that make sense?

1 Like

Additionally it would be ideal to be able to run the past years worth of data through the calculations.
I’m also trying to work out which way is best - deemed 50% etc.
Also on the side of paying for your electricity is Agile better or Fixed?
If we could re-run with that it would help a lot.

1 Like

V2 is looking great I have to say. I’ve got it set-up with my solar feeds, and it’s almost exactly what I want to know.

A couple of minor things:

• I’m finding the graph is a little cramped vertically on this version, especially with export information below to x axis. What’s the feeling on having the graph a little taller?
  • I’d quite like a table row for (Import - Export) i.e. What’s my bill going to be?
  • Any reason we’re limited to 2 months in the zoom level? I’d quite like to be able to get figures for the year to compare against other tariffs.
  • Edit to add: I’m not convinced about showing the export price as a negative value. It’s counter intuitive to have the amount I’ll get for each kWh go up, but the graph go down. It also means the price axis is covering a larger range (+25p to -15p), so going +ve might help the cramped feeling I mention earlier.

…but all said…this is great!

2 Likes

Thanks for all the feedback :slight_smile:

I agree it will be great to extend with all of this, I will keep in mind for V3.

The 2 month limit is due to maximum number of datapoints per emoncms request. I cant really downsample as the calc really needs to be done on the half hourly basis. I was thinking a staged loading of the data, but could get quite complex… I agree it would be great to do.

I had the same issue. Had to delete all the old feeds and recreate them.

At one stage I had two lists of node 10. One had the old feed in it the second had the new feeds in it.

Working now and glad I am playing around on the .org system and not on my local emoncms as I’ve had to delete all my old feeds.

Simon

To be fair, you can just take the export figure in kWh and multiply it by 5.5p. Or even just look at the effective export price per kWh. Mine’s at 5.1p/kWh for the last two months, so I know I’d be better off on the fixed export tariff.

Trystan,

I was messing around with the dashboard I’ve set up because in the costs part there’s a Solar self consumption, so I wanted to get my divert feed set up.

When I click on the spanner icon, there’s no field to set up divert as the input. And if I try to use delete to start again, then the app says it can’t delete it because it can’t find the app, I get ‘ERROR: App does not exist with name My Octopus Analysis’.

On the divert front, is it that you haven’t set this up yet in the app? So that cost field isn’t working yet?

Simon