Migration to new forum

Its is now! But you can still post since you’re a moderator

1 Like

Hi Glyn
I registered a few days ago, am I subject to a untrustworthy level?

Regards
Dave

Dave, you show as “Basic”. The trust levels are here: Trust Levels for OEM Community

not any more :smiley:

Thanks Glyn

Whoo, I think we can say migration to the new forums is complete. I’m very much enjoying using the new features, I hope you agree that is a worthwhile upgrade and should see us well into the future.

Thanks a lot to all the @moderators and everyone else that helped out.

Before I close this thread, can you think of any final loose ends to tidy up with regard to the move?

Ought there be links from here back to Resources (Building Blocks, Wiki, Github), Hardware, Online Store etc?

The ‘home’ link at the top of the new forum links back to the main site. Do you think I should add a building block link? Or maybe this is covered by the technical section of the new user guide, which (when it’s finished) link out to all the resources

Your problem is you know where everything is. The hard part is putting yourself into the position of someone looking at the site when they don’t have a clue and trying to find their way round.

That’s totally unintuitive! And inaccessible from this page at least. The look and feel of these forums is totally different to the look and feel of the ‘old’ site, and seems like a different site - to me at least. ‘Home’ when I’m in here means where I go when I click on the logo. It never occurred to me that ‘Home’ there was back to the old site. The route to those things I listed doesn’t seem to be at all obvious once you’re in these forums. Even that Home link is at best one click away - if you know where to click.

If you’re going to put the Resources and Hardware links in the user guide at some time in the future, I say they need to go somewhere obvious at least in the short term.

I’ve renamed ‘Home’ to ‘Main Site’. I’ll try and finish the Technical part of the User Guide today.

‘Main Site’ is better but you could just use the text ‘openenergymonitor.org’ which is a method I’ve seen before.

If the Technical part of the User Guide has the same info as the building blocks and the various ‘docs’ sections on GitHub, I’d suggest you try and remove those else there is a risk of inconsistency. I think though it has a little way to go (which is unsurprising as there is tons of info). Looking good though.

Almost all of Building Blocks needs ‘rationalising’ as there’s quite a lot of overlap - if BB is to become part of the User Guide (I didn’t think that was the plan?) then that rationalisation needs to be done as part of the move.

If it isn’t, then I for one would like a clear steer from Glyn & Trystan as to what belongs in which.

Correct, there are no plans to merge BB into the new Guide. The plan for the User Guide is what it says on the tin, a User / Setup Guide for the OEM system. Primary the emonPi and aimed foremost at new users.

BB is a repository of technical info. We plan to keep it where it is now

Thanks Glyn.

Then take this as notice that the rationalisation is something I shall start on, once the CM Library and 3-phase sketches are out of the way.

I did consider this but it’d be a bit long and wordy for a title. Especially when viewed on a mobile device

A bit like the Twitter tag @openenegymonitor - 17 characters gone already!

1 Like

@openenergymon actually…for that very reason!

OK 14 characters!
It’s a shame that@oem is already taken.

The guys have always been careful about using OEM formally because of its use as ‘Original Equipment Manufacturer’. (Context is all important, a Twitter handle is unlikely to cause any problems).