Login returns a 0 reply

That seems to fit with what I read (not that I’m a networking expert) when I searched for the error you saw.
I tried my emoncms.org with an 18-character pasword and Brave browser “out of the box” (no add-ons or extensions) with no problem.

Solution I thought I had doesn’t work reliably.
The issue seems to be a new (?) way firefox handles this topic:

I am not competent to elaborate any further.

Impact is an unreliable / unpredictable login sequence.
Moving to another browser does not help but gives more elaborate error reporting.

Running Firefox 95 on mac osx 10.13.6

Think I found a work around.
Added the CORS extention to my browser.
By switching it on, the browser has acces to the required login proces.

CORS extention is here:

This sounds like something that needs @TrystanLea 's attention.

Yes that might be a good idea.
Don’t know how to draw his attention to this issue.
I believe he casts a keen eye on this forum on a regular basis.
Who knows what might happen.

Other thing is the following.
I recently updated my cofiguration.

Lost much of my node data on the central database.
Re-establishing the contact is a bit of a feat.

Mainnode is running, but the others are no-where in sight on the emoncms.org site / input page.
So the inputs page of my emoncms.org data set is more or less empty.

One might think that emonhub is struggeling to pull it’s weight.
As the api-key is being transferred for authentication - could this be a related problem?

The @[his user name] is enough to notify him - so no need to do anything more.

Thanks for the heads up on this @Antoine_Maartens, Im still not quite following what’s going wrong here and I cant replicate the behaviour. Did this start happening after you upgraded to Firefox 95? Im currently running 94 here…

That is correct Trystan.
It started with 95.

Firefox 95.0 64-bit (Ubuntu) works here for me, also Brave Version 1.32.115 Chromium: 96.0.4664.93 (Official Build) unknown (64-bit).

Mine automatically updated to 95 this morning and appears to be working fine too…

Actually, looking back through some other support questions on this same topic, the issue might be using https://www.emoncms.org instead of https://emoncms.org, and I can replicate this error specifically by doing that, looks like something I need to look into that to see what’s going wrong

This is exactly what I do as the emonevse interface uses this format too

Confirmed for me too (Brave, Opera, Chromium & Firefox browsers).

I accidentally tried to log in with https://www.emoncms.org - and it’s still returning a zero error.

Hi - I think I am having a similar issue. I have my account set up fine. I have my EmonPi connected via ethernet, so can see it when I type the IP address into my web browser. However, when I go to connect it to WiFi, it doesn’t recognise my login credentials. Have installed the CORS extension for Chrome, but doesn’t solve the issue. @TrystanLea - any advice on how to connect the EmonPi to my account so I can log data to the server and view remotely? Then next priority is WiFi…
Thanks in advance
Mark

The original issue appears to be there no more, though I’m a little confused about what you’re trying to do. As far as I’m aware, the problem only affected https://emoncms.org/ and https://www.emoncms.org/, not emonCMS running locally on an emonPi.

As I understand your question, you are trying to send data from your emonPi to emoncms.org, then you want to log in to emoncms.org to view it remotely?

Those are two completely different things. To send your data from your emonPI, you need to enter your write APIKey that you get from emoncms.org into the place for it in emonhub.conf, but first you will have needed to create an account at emoncms.org. For that, you need your browser pointed at emoncms.org, and set a password. The APIKey takes the place of the password when sending data from your emonPi.

And you also want to connect your emonPi to your LAN by WiFi, rather than via hard-wired Ethernet?
This is relatively simple, given that you are already talking to the emonPi. Go to the WiFi option in Setup, and click Scan to find your network, In the PSK box, enter your WiFi password, and click Save and connect.

Bear in mind that emonCMS running on your emonPi is totally separate from emonCMS running at emoncms.org. It’s only when you deliberately instruct it that emonHub send the data to emoncms.org, and both have their own copy of the same data.

Hi Robert - thanks for taking the time to reply

I think you’ve hit the nail on the head on what I’m trying to do. The problem is when in the device Emoncms setup list, when I click Emonhub I get the login screen where it won’t accept my username/password, so can’t go any further. It also can’t find any devices on my local network (have tried using laptop and phone) so can’t follow instructions for API key. A bit stuck on what to do next!

But there isn’t a login screen on the emonHub page of your local emonCMS, and emonHub isn’t present at emoncms.org. So you can’t be where you think you are.

My emonPi happens to be at the local IP address of http://192.168.1.74/. If you go to the address that appears on the emonPi’s display (after you press the button the required number of times :wink: ) you should see this to log in:

The user name & password are the ones you gave it when you first got your emonPi - NOT the ones for emoncms.org If you have not noted what you set, then we need to tell you how to reset it.

Remember, the two instances of emoncms are completely separate, and you must be clear which one you are working with at any given moment, on pain of getting into a right mess.

Ok, sounds like I am firmly in the ‘right mess’ category. Where do I get instructions on how to reset the username and password, as I had no idea I even set a username and password for the emonPi! Thanks

You have, because otherwise the login above would have given you the option to create a new user (only one is normally allowed).

You should have, on the SD card in your emonPi, a script called resetpassword.php, which you’ll find in /opt/emoncms/modules/usefulscripts. To get there, you will need to use SSH (or an equivalent application) to access the RPi, and to do that, you need to enable SSH again using the button on the front of the emonPi.

I went through the process with another user a while ago: Emoncms login failure - #4 by Robert.Wall
Try following that and see how you get on.