Introducing HeatpumpMonitor.org - a public dashboard of heat pump performance

Me too

I have a tangential discussion about using this data in other ways so I’ve taken that over to another thread to avoid it polluting this one.

1 Like

Or we can check the OperationMode value from melcloud. Lots of different cat skins.

1 Like

I suppose we’d be looking for the lowest common denominator approach that folk with any make/model of heat pump could use?

If people are invested in emonpi hardware, then a CT clamp on the pump watts could be useful?

@Zarch I’m intrigued how you are controlling flow rates on the Arotherm+ as this seems to be firmware control only on the 3.5kW monobloc. My installer added a Grundfos UPS3 in series on the monobloc flow and Live monitor is now recording rates that are way higher than the specified working range of the unit.

Might be a better question for the Arotherm thread.

Controlling flow rate (using pump speed) is just a setting on the VWZ AI controller.

• Conf. heat. build. pump
  • Conf. cool. build. pump
  • Conf. DHW. build. pump

The pump speed when heating, cooling or doing DHW can be independently set between 50% and 100% as well as ‘auto’.

Many thanks to all who have (and will) contribute to the Dashboard creation and content. This will be a really important public domain resource of real data which can help inform progress towards net zero.
I’ll contribute my PassiveHaus 3.5kW Arotherm+ as soon as I can monitor it without using multiple button presses on the Vaillant controller. Driving me mad, so I’m looking forward to TX4 arriving from shop!

It would be really useful to have some sort of diagramatic system schematic for each instance as well as the details accessible via the + expander. Would it be appropriate to make provision for a system schematic to be uploaded on a voluntary basis and to link it via the + expander?

2 Likes

I’d be happy to add my system into the public dashboard: an 8kW NIBE F1145 Ground Source Heat Pump (looks like all the others are ASHPs?) that’s about 5 years old.
It’s got a dedicated electrical sub-meter on the input and separate Kamstrup Multical 302 heat meters on the CH and DHW outputs; all three meters are read automatically via MeterBus.
The system is registered with NIBE Uplink and I download temperature and other readings via the Uplink API every 2 minutes, logging everything in a local InfluxDB database for graphing with Grafana.

However, I don’t have an emonpi or local emoncms instance in the mix. Is that a problem - could I just send readings via the API, after grabbing them from NIBE Uplink and reading my meters?

Hello @dMb it would be great to get your system on there. I assume you dont have an emoncms.org account either? Im happy to create an account for you so that you can share your data free of charge. I will PM you the details. Would you be able to setup some kind of upload to the emoncms.org server from your existing setup?

Looks like were going to be getting some really good cold weather performance data from the heat pumps over the next few days! Can see outside temperatures on those more inland and further north are quite a bit lower than ours nearer the coast. Lots of variation in flow temperatures as well. Would be interesting to do a table of average outside temps, average flow temps and cop for this cold period.

3 Likes

Have you a VM system? Proxmox ideally. If so, just create a local instance of EmonCMS. How are you pulling your data down from NIBE?

I’ve got a Docker container installation so could host a local EmonCMS on that - but then I’d have to get the data into that…

I’ve got a combination of Perl and Python scripts that pull the data from the meters and from NIBE Uplink and publish via MQTT. I’ve then got an MQTT subscriber that stores the info in a local InfluxDB instance. Currently thinking to have another MQTT subscriber that pushes to the emoncms,org API - Trystan has setup an account for me so I’ll investigate over the weekend.

The emoncms.org API doesn’t accept JSON IIRC - @TrystanLea can you confirm?

The local setup doesn’t help that much and Docker is a pest with emoncms. If you had been using Node-RED it would have been straightforward to send the data on.

The emoncms.org api does accept json, it has matched the local api exactly now for a while. Sorry I realise I didn’t reply when you asked about this last time @borpin.

Il have a look later at what might be a good python script to achieve what you need.

1 Like

That’s great news. Both Input and Feed APIs?

yes :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Using a Python script to send to the emoncms.org Input API as JSON is working well for me, after a few teething troubles (couldn’t get it to work with a POST sending the payload as DATA but it’s fine as a GET with Parameters).

I’ve got my GSHP temperature data (originating from NIBE Uplink) loading OK to Inputs and on to simple logging Feeds; just waiting for the GSHP to start a cycle to check how that looks in the Graphs.

I’ve then got the problem that the electric sub-meter on my heat pump input only gives me cumulative kWh so looks like I need to derive the instantaneous kW before uploading that.

Welcome aboard! Your system is now listed on heatpumpmonitor.org :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ooo and just in time to illustrate the benefits of ground source in this cold weather! nice to see a COP of 4 :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Looks like Glyn has also taken the top spot with his Samsung! congrats @glyn.hudson

3 Likes