HeatpumpMonitor February Update

I’ve published the latest version of the site to the main (non development url).

I’ve made some minor changes to the columns visible on mobile so that the training and learn more icons are also shown. Sizing that page also shows/hides the relevant columns.

The resizing, showing/hiding of columns and fields sidebar is still a bit crude and needs more work. I haven’t quite worked out how to get this to work as well as I’d like so will be doing more work on this.

I think the best next step is to make available computed fields such as kWh/m2 electric and cost and then try and work out a nice layout with tabs to switch between different views e.g: ‘top of the scops’, ‘heatpump + fabric’ & ‘cost’.

3 Likes

Hi @TrystanLea, great to see the new features.

I have attempted to manually reload my data so it picks up the DHW vs Space Heating feed but I get the following:

Any ideas?

Would love to be able to just apply Octopus Agile rates to the HP to see £/kWh heat delivered

1 Like

I’ve just tried again and it has worked this time, showing the message about the reload taking up to 5 mins.

Yes seems to have pulled in a bit of your hot water /space heating data but not all of it, need to dig into why that is…

My Heating / DHW feed comes from MelCloud so I had it working for quite a while until Mitsubishi started blocking requests made too quickly a couple of weeks ago.
There would then be a gap in this feed until I got it working again with a 5min update time.

I wonder if this is causing the issue?

Trystan,
As you may be aware, there is an initiative under way to expand the FAQ page to cover heat pumps in general (not just monitoring add-ons/programming as at present).
This might usefully include a list of (e.g. non-HeatGeek) “good” installers/hardware.
Could the heatpumpmonitor database be expanded to include a star rating system for 1) installer performance, 2) hardware user-friendliness, 3) performance versus manufacturers’ claims, 4) economics, 5) etc?
I realise that this may not be retrospective, but I sense that potential HP purchasers might value the experiences of others (good and not-so-good), even if the foregoing tests had to be distilled into a single extra column.

1 Like

Hello @SarahH, thankyou for your thoughts on this.

For installer performance, I assume this would be a rating in terms of how the customer perceives the professionalism and quality of the work undertaken by the installer? A measure beyond the actual performance of the system in terms of SCOPs , running cost etc?

Performance versus manufacturers’ claims, there’s an opportunity to create make/model summary pages on heatpumpmonitor.org with some automated generation of in-use real world datasheet values. With a bit of work this could be compared with manufacturer data, It’s not an easy one to do well but it would be great if we could pull this off.

Economics: do you mean here running costs or capital costs or both?

I’ve added a copy table data to clipboard feature to make it easier to pull out the data for further analysis in a spreadsheet:

E.g I wanted to look at the COP over the last 90 days vs flow - outside temperature (when running):

while there is a general trend of higher performance from lower flow - outside temperatures, it’s interesting how much of a spread there is for some of the systems. E.g on the vertical arrow at a DT28 there’s a system getting 2.8 and another getting 4.8! Or on the horizontal a COP of 3.6 with DT24 through to DT34…

2 Likes

COP over the last 90 days vs flow temperature when running:

• The best system is a bit of an outlier at 4.8 at mean flow temp when running of 34C (that’s system 66 HeatpumpMonitor.org barry sharp ground source)
  • Still quite a broad range of performance being achieved at similar flow temps and vice vera!

I’ve added kWh/m2 electric and heat stats, here’s systems in the 365 days of data view:

• We have 1 passivhaus achieving below the 15 kWh/m2.year target, nice!
  • Glyn and I with our small solid stone terraced houses have very high per m2 consumption and near the bottom of the list :grinning: kWh per person anyone? :joy:

4 Likes

Is there a quick/easy way to filter out zeros?

Also, be a good idea to define what “floor area m2” is recommended, try to achieve some consistency. Main three are:

• GIA (gross internal area)
  • NIA (net internal area)
  • TFA (passive house specific version of NIA)
    I’m not sure what most (MCS) heat-loss calcs use?
1 Like

Can you share how exactly are those two measurements calculated? Is that just the total electric / heat energy over the last year divided by floor area?

Yes that’s correct.

fixed that, thanks.

Good idea, should we specify one of these? MCS room by room heat loss calcs are NIA I assume? they are the sum of internal room areas

Not sure what MCS uses. This is the definition of NIA though FYI: https://www.rics.org/profession-standards/rics-standards-and-guidance/sector-standards/real-estate-standards/code-of-measuring-practice.

1 Like

Thanks @dfeist

I’ve added in post processed total cost of electric and unit rate of heat options (available from the field selector for now):

These are currently calculated based on the value entered in the average unit rate paid for all electricity field. I appreciate there are quite a few issues with this input, e.g it will quickly become out of date, it will likely not include cost of enabling technologies e.g battery storage. With that caveat in mind, it’s at least an initial implementation of what this could look like.

If no unit price is provided it will currently default to 26 p/kWh, this could be a selectable option in future…

5 Likes

Did you mean to add kWh/m2 for water heating?

1 Like

The underlying code just cycles through the categories, should I omit water heating?

I’ve made a few changes to the select fields sidebar and added template views (first draft, to be improved):

That would be mine… :blush:

I’m not convinced the last 365 days have been properly representative of the design conditions (i.e. it’s been a warm winter) but it’s pleasing result - especially since my house runs at 21C rather than the 20C assumed for Passivhaus certification.

Completely agree we ought to be consistent about that.

I note that my EPC quotes “Total Floor Area” (as opposed to the Passivhaus “Treated Floor Area” - which isn’t confusing at all ! :wink:) and an EPC follows the SAP methodology, where SAP says things like:

Dimensions refer to the inner surfaces of the elements bounding the dwelling. Thus floor dimensions are obtained by measuring between the inner surfaces of the external or party walls, disregarding the presence of any internal walls.

and

Floor area should be measured as the actual floor area, i.e. if the height of a room extends to two storeys or more only the actual accessible floor area should be used for the calculations. However, as an exception to this rule in the case of stairs, the floor area should be measured as if there were no stairs but a floor in their place at each level.

Seems like SAP uses GIA (gross internal area) then which, yes, is significnantly more than TFA.

What I don’t know is what area is used when people have (MCS) heat-loss surveys done. Anyone know?

In our PHPP, 21C actually pushes our heat-loss up +20%, so not insignificant.

1 Like