Forum Categories

A Linux firewall, e.g. iptables is actually software, whereas a DMZ or DeMilitarized Zone as such, usually refers to a hardware device, i.e a router, but can be implemented via software.
Ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DMZ_%28computing%29

Let me know if you think we need any new sub categories…

Could this be user selectable? For a new / first time user definitely categories but for a longer term user latest posts perhaps?

Been trying to navigate around and have been finding it difficult to get back to where I was / find the same list of topics I might have been looking at before.

I think the problem is you can post into any branch level category. So thee are a list of topics under ‘emoncms’ and then there will be others under ‘emoncms/installation’. i think this will get messy really quickly. If I could see all posts under emoncms category and all the posts in the subcategories at the same time, it might help. But a better way is to limit posts to just the lower level subcategories (if you can).

I also think Emoncms is not quite right as a title. Includes all server side software, modules scripts etc? This also needs a Dev subcategory, and a general help (how do I create a dashboard like X) sub category.

Look at recent posts on the old forum and think where should that question go in the new forum. It is a good way of evaluating the categories needed.

Looks good though.

See my post above:[quote=“glyn.hudson, post:37, topic:66, full:true”]
Categories has been set as the default view but the top logo hyperlink takes you to recent posts. I think this is a good compromise to make sure new users land on the categories page but allow active users to easily get back to the lastest view. This setup is working well for me.
[/quote]

Thanks for feedback? Do you think we need a dedicated emoncms dev forum? I presumed the whole emoncms forum would be dev, while the support would go to the front started forum category

At first I thought “Categories” was the way to go, but I find myself choosing “Latest” as it’s the closest thing to the “Active forum topics” sidebar on the Drupal forum. A feature I found very useful.

Glyn,

We could use an FAQ area. Once created, I’ll copy the old FAQ-area content to the new site.

Update:
I’ve created an FAQ area, and have started copying the content. It’s now 0212L so I’ll finish the job a bit later today.

Do we need a whole category for faq? Could it not just be pinned topic in Getting Started category? This would be my preference since if posting a newbie question it would be hard to decide if it should be posted in faq or Getting Started…

If you think having an faq category is indeed needed, then maybe this should be a sub category of Getting Started?

Thanks for coping over faq :thumbsup:

I was shooting for max visibility. Most of the sites I’ve seen that have an FAQ section, make it easy to find, so perhaps a conspicuously placed link is all that’s needed. Given that, making FAQ a sub-cat of Getting Started wouldn’t “bury” the info.

Given that items only get added to the FAQ list if they actually get asked a lot, I’d say the decision about posting in FAQ vice Getting Started should be fairly easy to make.

YVWS!

Would you mind if I made the faq a topic in Getting Started and also made it a globally pinned topic?

This will give it maximum visibility. Users could reply to the faq topic if they feel something should be added. I really think having a full category for faq is confusing.

Let 'er rip!

That might not be a good idea. With regards to the old FAQ page, RW and I went through the forums and compiled lists of what actually was frequently asked. We might want to stick with that same method, i.e the Staff decides what gets added to the list.

1 Like

I tend to agree with Bill, as opening it up could make the thread unreadable, as users would inevitably ask questions, and dilute the concise nature of the FAQ.
I think Robert & Bill have done a good job in maintaining the FAQ so far… so why change.

Paul

1 Like

Thanks, Paul. 'preciate it!

Between the FAQ and the new guide I’m not sure that there should be a need for a Getting Started category on the forums, at least one not explicitly aimed at new users. I’ve bumped the FAQ category up the list so it displays near the top on the categories view.

Good point @Paul , I agree the FAQ pinned topic should be a closed thread to keep it tidy.

My vote would be to:

• Keep the Getting Started category as this serves as a ‘beginner’ section without giving it a disparagingly title such as ‘Beginner’ or ‘Noobs’!

• The FAQ should be a pinned topic in the Getting Started category and a globally pinned topic so it’s the first thing users see when they enter the forum. Regular users can choose to un-pin the topic.

• The FAQ topic should be a closed thread

However I am happy to be outvoted on this one… Let’s put it to the vote:

Should FAQ have it’s own category?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

Should we get rid of Getting Started category?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

FYI - There are two FAQs and this might cause confusion. One is at:
http://community.openenergymonitor.org/faq

And the other is at:
http://community.openenergymonitor.org/c/faq

Maybe the second one becomes “emon FAQs”.

Glyn,

The FAQ at http://community.openenergymonitor.org/c/faq is the one I created. If it needs to be moved, etc. all the better to avoid any confusion, as Jon pointed out.

FAQ - OpenEnergyMonitor Community is not really an FAQ at all, unless there are people genuinely curious about how to be civilized.

@glyn.hudson - few things need addressing on Terms of Service

maybe rename it to well behavior or something like that to avoid confusion

We think it’s important to preserve the presence of the “Active Forum Topics” list as there is on the current Oem homepage. @pb66 mentioned the need for a user to see a lively community and this probably plays a big part in that. Possibly will use embedding or RSS feed, always welcome to suggestions. If this is in place then it negate some of the downsides of having a default categories view.