Forum Categories

…it would also be good to see who is currently online, or number of registered/unregistered users online.
It’s also an indicator of an active forum.

Paul

1 Like

Hi Gwil,

Same here.
Why not simply try changing the landing page to “Latest” and see how it goes. The similarity to the
Active forum topics” list might ease the transition for users new to, or not familiar with, Discourse.

At first, I thought categories were the way to go. Not any more. Now I find myself clicking “Latest” as it most closely mimics the behavior of the afforementioned “Aft” list

Something like the info contained in this?

(click the image to view it full size)

Yes, when we make the switch we can embed a feed of recent posts on the homepage sidebar the same as we have currently.

I don’t think we need a ‘currently online’, list. I don’t see the reason for such a feature. What if users don’t want everyone to see when their online? It’s post content and messages that are important. The Discourse dev team think the same, see discussion thread.

The votes are in:

It’s been voted that we should delete the FAQ category and keep the Getting Started category. I have made the change. The FAQ topic is now a pinned topic in Getting Started and FAQ category has been removed.

Concur. I meant something similar, not necessarily exact.

FWIW, the list you see in the pic is not users currently online. It’s a list list of users that have been online in the last 24 hours. User names don’t get added to the list until they’ve logged off.

It was the posting stats and such that I was trying to show as an example, without having to do more than one screen grab.

Yes, that’s a better list. That is what we currently have on the homepage of the old site. I don’t think it’s possible to have such a list on Discourse. It should be clear from the profile pictures next to latest topics who’s been posting recently.

Yes, that’s the sort of thing I meant. Not a realtime snapshot.

Paul