Forum Categories

No, I’m not selecting “request desktop site”, but it doesn’t appear to make any difference either way.

I’m using Chrome version “49.0.2623.105”

Paul

@Paul, I wasn’t saying you were using “request desktop site” I was telling @glyn.hudson that …

meaning if I set “request desktop site” on my correctly functioning mobile I see the symptoms you are seeing without it being set.

…as a side issue… when scrolling down, the ‘Openenegymonitor’ logo changes to ‘Oem’ which is really insignificant.
Should this be resized to have more of a presence?

Paul

I don’t seem to be able to recreate the odd (laptop) browser behavior now that chrome has updated and chrome was restarted. Although I originally saw it many times it was in a single session so perhaps a glitch, I will keep an eye on it.

Well if nothing else, these issues are familiarising us with the new forum… I’m starting to get the hang of it now.
PS - good to see @pb66 as a moderator

@Paul

try visiting whatismybrowser.com to see what your phone is identifying itself as.

The “user agent” is like an id used by the browser to advise the server about itself and to get a “full desktop version” the browser will lie about the details effectively producing a fake id.

Try it from the other browsers and in “full desktop” mode to see it id itself differently. My android will id itself as x64 linux when in “full desktop mode”.

Don’t worry if it tells you your chrome software is not up to date when you are using “full desktop” mode as the current version for android is 49 but 50 for desktops so it is correct for the fake “mode” but not for the genuine OS.

Once you can establish if your mobile is declaring itself as an android mobile or if chrome is permanently using it’s “fake id” you will know if the issue is your end or at the server.

The actual “user agent” content is provided at the bottom of the page and if you click that you can get a breakdown of the detail too.

Basically if it says Android when you try that link the issue is with the forum/server, if it says anything else the problem is on the phone.

It appears to correctly identify itself as Android, and Linux when I request 'desktop site, so it does appear to be a forum/server issue.
Also, other sites that I visit always identifies my phone correctly and serves the mobile version, as I often request desktop to get more options, such as in Github.

Ah that’s the difference. It looks like your browser is Mozilla. My phone (Motorola MotoX) reports Chrome on Android:

@glyn.hudson if you scroll to the bottom of the page and check your “user agent” it will also say Mozilla 5.0 too, pretty much every non-mozilla browser has to include that to be netscape compatible, it’s an old IE hack that is now a permanent fixture. Mine says exactly the same as @Paul except my phone model/build is different and android version is 5.1.1,.

@glyn.hudson as Paul has said.
This is what my phone reports.

It’s also worth pointing out that the Openhab website recognises me as a mobile, and renders perfectly…

I took a look at the discourse source code and found basically any device that is presenting a browser user agent containing “Mobile” but not “iPad” should be recognized as a mobile.

A brief search on their forum turned up several discussions around what should be recognised how, that resulted in the criteria being relaxed to the above.

Persisting desktop/mobile view in mobile Chrome browsers
Android mobile device detection is too broad
Android mobile device detection is too strict

So there has been some changes in the last month, perhaps there are still some wrinkles ???

Good detective work :slight_smile:

We’re running the latest version which got updated last night v1.6.0.beta1 +277. Since the word beta is in the version we can expect some little niggles.

However generally I’m super impressed with how well it works and how easy it is to mange, upgrade and backup. There are no game stopper issues.

Agree @glyn.hudson
Ultimately issues such as this are fixable, and shouldn’t detract from the obvious and substantial benefits the new forum infrastructure will bring. However it’s strange that Openhab (that uses discourse too) displays fine for me, yet OEM doesn’t? Have Openhab fixed it?
Comparing the two side by side:

-

I think @discourse support would be interested to observe this behaviour.

The header looks A-OK on an iPhone 6s.

For “Categories vs Latest Posts” - Is it possibly/easy to default to Categories for anonymous users and newbies? And default to Latest Posts for the regulars?

Categories has been set as the default view but the top logo hyperlink takes you to recent posts. I think this is a good compromise to make sure new users land on the categories page but allow active users to easily get back to the lastest view. This setup is working well for me.

That works well - Thanks!

@glyn.hudson - I’d like to post a question about firewalls and the products or Linux Distros that OEM users have at their home or business. I am hoping a few users have set-up an emonPi as an Internet of Things (IoT) device or setup an emonCMS server at home and have it connected to the Internet and protected by a firewall and maybe a “DMZ”. Is this appropriate for the OEM Community? And if so, what Category would it belong in?

Hardware > emonpi?