ESP 32 beta loss of WiFi connection

ok did a power off reboot of unit and i get this from the comport 0

it looks as if the board dont know the true date but that is prob not relevent as i dont think it has a rtc

ets Jun  8 2016 00:22:57

rst:0x1 (POWERON_RESET),boot:0x13 (SPI_FAST_FLASH_BOOT)
configsip: 0, SPIWP:0xee
clk_drv:0x00,q_drv:0x00,d_drv:0x00,cs0_drv:0x00,hd_drv:0x00,wp_drv:0x00
mode:DIO, clock div:2
load:0x3fff0018,len:4
load:0x3fff001c,len:788
load:0x40078000,len:8160
load:0x40080400,len:5732
entry 0x4008069c
$GV^35
$GS^30
$GV^35
$GA^22
$GE^26
$F0 0^42
$FP 0 0 OpenEVSE WiFI^32
$FP 13 0       ^20
$FP 0 1 3.0.4.dev^7D
$FP 9 1       ^1A
$FP 15 1       ^27
$GE^26
$GS^30
$F0 1^43
$GG^24
$GP^33
$GU^36
$GF^25
$GE^26
$GS^30
$GG^24
$GP^33
$GU^36
$GF^25
$GE^26
$GS^30
$GG^24
ets Jun  8 2016 00:22:57

ok well i have found that by pluging the usb cable in to my china board it causes the board to do a reboot .
now i also find that some times it will restart and i can log on and it seems to work ok
then some times it reboots the board and wont conect to network and let me log on
the sequnce coming from the usb port seens to be the same

$GF^25
$GE^26
$GS^30
$GG^24
$GP^33
$GU^36
$GF^25

over and over during these reboots the main evse board stayed powerd up .
got to go shoping now .

not sure if this helps.
I could not load the webpage this morning so kicked the ESP32 off the wifi and let it reconnect. I could then access the webpage and charge mode grid import/export time is when i kick it off the wifi.

Restarting the unit fixes it

The ESP32 build does have support for wired ethernet, we have tested it with ESP32-GATEWAY - Open Source Hardware Board. It should work ok with that board to, should just be a case of configuring the Serial port pins, which can be harder than it sounds, especially on the Ethernet boards as there are a lot of pins used.

It would be helpful to get some serial logs, not from the port connected to the OpenEVSE (that outputs $GS, $F0, etc), but the debug serial port.

There are several configs for boards for USB serial built in like the Feather Huzzah 32 or NodeMCU 32S. With these the USB serial gives the debug and the EVSE is connected to be different pins (board/config dependant). On the ‘official’ (Adafruit Huzzah 32) board the debug serial is on pin #1.

@jeremypoulter whats needed to help with debuging this? I have an IT background but programing is not my strong point.

I have just installed a new Unfii Access Point near to the charger but the ESP keeps attaching its self to the old AP a few more meters away. is the AP’s mac address stored in the WIFI config?

Hi Jeremy So what I uploaded is not debug I take it
So I need to connect to pin 1 a rs232 driver and then monitor that out put to get the logs you need .
Is that correct .
Thanks bill

Correct @Bill_Burgess, what you uploaded is the RAPI comms between the EVSE and the WiFi module. There is a more human readable output on pin #1.

@Pukka Same SSID? At the high level it just connects to an SSID, but I am not sure what logic the lower levels use when selecting a particular AP.

I downloaded v3.1.0 dev and it seems stable.

just to update this thread, I installed a new wifi access point about 2 foot away from the charger. It has not crashed yet. but then again i have not been charging the car via grid or solar. (no sun)

I will keep testing :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well since the weekend both of my asp32 have kept working. Early to tell. But what I did was on my DCHP server set it to infinity lease time .
Not sure if this may cause me other issues
But thought I would try it as I am making an assumption that after a certain amount of time the esp 32 would be dropped from my system if lease time expired and it may not be reauthenticating it self . ??? Anyone can give more detail on how this works

Intresting, more testing needed. I did have 10 minute lease time. now 30 min but the ESP32 has a reserved IP

Yes, it’s possible to use the ESP32 gateway. I’ve added this as an option in our web store. The board will come pre-configured with the correct hardware connections and firmware It’s a drop in replacement for the WiFi board.

1 Like

Going forward will the firmware be per complied on the download page or will I need to do it my self?

I will do some more testing with the wifi first and see if I can help with that.

just as an update to this i have changed the DHCP lease back to 10 min and have an access point close the ESP32

Yes, the esp32-gateway-ethernet FW is now on the releases page. The full docs on how to connect and upload to the esp32-gateway-ethernet boards can be found here:

I’ve created a new thread for wired Ethernet related discussion:

Just to update this, I have had the DHCP lease time set to 10 min and a WIFI access point near the ESP32 and its been 5 days and no loss of network. on friday i will remove the access point and report back.

1 Like

So today I removed the unifi Access Point and 3 hours later we have lost the web interface. its now broadcasting it own OpenEVSE_7b
WhenI looked about an hour ago the signal was -88 but interestingly our emonESP is showing signal as -91 and its still connected.

I would say it is signal based problem

hi since i changed the lease time on my dchp server to infinit the esp32 has worked with out interuption for over a week now thet is charging every night …

i think that it is some thing when trying to reconect to the sysem . that is causing issue .
i am using a pi hole dchp server on my system .