Environmental sensors upgrade

Hi,
Iv got a few EmonTHs (V1s upgraded to Si7021 & V2s). They’ve all been running faultlessly for a few years :+1:t2:
I was just wondering if there were any plans to introducing any other environmental sensors like the BME680, VEML6075, SI1145 or Sharp’s GP2Y1010AU0F?

Thanks for any replies in advance :grin:

Hello @Trev138 we don’t have any plans for other sensors attached to the EmonTH at present, they look like interesting sensors though, if you modify an EmonTH to use one let us know how you get on.

Hi,
I know this is a really old thread to drag up. I rigged up all the hardware a couple of years ago on prototype board, and tested it running each of the sensors through the arduino IDE serial monitor by uploading the available drivers/sketches one by one.
The main problem I have is that I’m pretty useless when it comes to the software side of things as I’m a hardware kinda person only (valves and relays :joy:).
I was wondering if anybody out there is interested in doing a modified EmonTH.hex file to output the above sensors to my local EmonPi?

…Thanks in advance for any help/advice

I’m currently experimenting with the SGP30. But I also have a BME680. They both support I2C. It is possible to use any digital in/out as I2C with a special library called SoftwareI2C. So far I had no luck but I’m still confident that it should work. The advantage is that I can use the pins which are on the pin header like D3 and D5.

Of course it requires a new firmware. For updating an emonTH, I use the Arduino IDE and a special emonTH programmer which I bought in the shop.

I got it working with PD3 and PD5 and a air quality sensor (sgp30). I modified this software I2C library (Arduino Playground - SoftwareI2CLibrary) to work with the sgp30 test sketch.

The modification was basically the separation to header and code files. Then I had to modify the library for the sgp30 to use the software I2C.

Heebtob, Good work :slight_smile: Have you actually managed to get readings from the modified EmonTH firmware (ie the spg30 sensor to your Emon)