Emoncms.org billing

Storing and serving data should not be free. You proposed pricing is very fair, and I will gladly pay to keep this awesome service up and running.

Thankyou for your support @garyjuergens thatā€™s much appreciated!

The sync module now supports downloading phptimeseries, inputs and dashboards! :slight_smile:

You will need the latest version of emoncms (v9.8.30) and the latest version of the sync module.

These will download automatically by running EmonPi/EmonBase update.

The LinuxInstall.md file on github is wonderfully detailed yet extremely simplified.

Is there already a similarly simple way to migrate from emoncms.org to another self-hosted cloud instance? I would much prefer this option to e.g. storing the data on my local emonPi.

Hello @luru, there is not any additional documentation beyond what I think you have seen. What kind of additional information do you need?

Managed to migrate most of what I need with the backup script, thanks.

Some quirks to be remedied, but rather painless :slight_smile:

Hello Trystan, thanks very much for that impementation helps safe a lot of work!

Charging a very reasonable fee for using EmonCMS.org is just one revenue stream. There are additional revenue streams possible, like the idea @David_Eager posted. It is somewhat similar revenue model of RIPEā€™s Atlas project in which users providing data receive credits. Consulting data costs credits.

Useful contributions on the community forum or otherwise could also be rewarded with credits. This also incentivizes users to contribute and further build the community. So if you want ā€œfreeā€ credits, help people out!

Iā€™m convinced that companies, universities and other organisations are interested in (real-time) electricity usage, solar power generation, temperature, ā€¦ for profiling, load prediction, ā€¦ Privacy is the new currency! Selling (anonymized) data is a possible revenue stream. It could even compensate the cost for the users providing data. Perhaps professional users will pay the bill thus making the service free again for ā€œend usersā€, which would remove the pay wall for end users. @TrystanLea Given the time, definitely a path which I consider worth pursuing.

While weā€™re at it, perhaps an even crazier idea: users receive a deduction on their electricity bill if they provide real time data to their electricity supplier via EmonCMS.org. Smart metering 2.0. Working out such a scheme would even ask more time though. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello,

thank you for your great job.

One question : when we have download all data, how can we stop the synchronization with emoncms.org ?

best regards/ciao
Gabriele

@pb66 I have now re-enabled the email verification requirement as discussed above. If anyone has any trouble logging in please email us at [email protected]

1 Like

@dedinext thankyou for the suggestions, the RIPE Atlas project looks interesting. It would be good for anything like this to be in the full control of each user, with the default being straightforward private accounts. Perhaps if there are interested organisations out there reading this, this could start as a open advert in the community marketplace category of the forum to which interested users could respond?

@glonline the sync module only synchronises when you click download or upload, itā€™s not something that happens automatically.

Hello Tristan,
thank you for your reply.
Iā€™m asking about a countdown every 9 seconds for ā€œnext uptateā€.
I my mind every 9 seconds my raspberry call your server to verify for an update.

best regards/ciao
Gabriele

Aha I see what you mean. That only happens if you have the sync page open. Once you navigate away from the page that stops.

@TrystanLea I am trying to backup EmonCMS.org to a Pi with the usefulscripts repository but its not working for me.

I am not entirely sure if I can copy from EmonCMS.org to the EmonCMS server running on the Pi or if it needs to be a 2 stage process i.e. back up and then restore.

I have tried changing various settings in backup.php and it reads the feeds on the server but will not save them to the Pi (either to a directory or the local EmonCMS database).

Has anyone done this yet and do you have any tips? A copy of a working backup.php (less key) would be useful.

Looks OK now.
I created timeseries directory as that didnā€™t appear to be present on the local server.
Then sudo chown www-data:root /var/lib/timeseries

This is what I get when I run the php script but with sudo:

sudo php backup.php
{"id":"842586","nodeid":"1","name":"RP1","description":"Real Power","processList":"1:186321,4:186328","time":1528882719,"value":268}
{"id":"842614","nodeid":"1","name":"P1","description":"Apparent Power","processList":"1:186322","time":1528882719,"value":292.99}
{"id":"842628","nodeid":"1","name":"C1","description":"Current","processList":"1:186324","time":1528882719,"value":1.23}
{"id":"842629","nodeid":"1","name":"T1","description":"Temperature","processList":"1:186323","time":1528882719,"value":30.4}
{"id":"889497","nodeid":"1","name":"PF1","description":"Power Factor","processList":"1:187284","time":1528882719,"value":0.91}
{"id":"889521","nodeid":"1","name":"V1","description":"Supply Voltage","processList":"1:187288","time":1528882719,"value":238.2}
{"id":"925979","nodeid":"1","name":"E1","description":"Energy WH","processList":"1:188128","time":1528882719,"value":1926859}
8 Emoncms.org feeds found
PHPFINA: 186321
--downloaded: 3063280 bytes
PHPFINA: 186322
--downloaded: 3063264 bytes
PHPFINA: 186323
--downloaded: 3063228 bytes
PHPFINA: 186324
--downloaded: 3063220 bytes
PHPFINA: 186328
--downloaded: 3062836 bytes
PHPFINA: 187284
--downloaded: 8903436 bytes
PHPFINA: 187288
--downloaded: 8903312 bytes
PHPFINA: 188128
--downloaded: 8677452 bytes

Wouldnā€™t import the data without sudo but then the files that have been downloaded need to be changed from root owner to www-data owner with:
sudo chown www-data:root /var/lib/phpfina/*.*

I am suffering from the same issue as @GeorgeB
I have also reported this in a separate topic: Cannot see any feed data after executing backup.php to migrate data from emoncms.org to local emoncms

So I see that he did the following:

sudo php backup.php
sudo chown www-data:root /var/lib/timeseries
sudo chown www-data:root /var/lib/phpfina/.

1. Are there other things needed ?
  2. As I have run the backup script earlier, it already made some changes (including to mysql tables) - so should I first not undo those changes before running the backup script again and if so how can I do that ?

many thanks fro any advice.
Jan.

Did the php script suggest it had done the backup?

if not, what error message do you get?

The first time I executed the backup script (not using sudo) I indeed got errors.

The second time (I also updated changed $local_emoncms_userid), i didnā€™t get any errors but the problem now is that although the inputs (on local emoncms) report that they receive updates, those updates are not stored in the feeds.
So the link between the inputs and feeds doesnā€™t work anymore.
Maybe this is because I have run the backup.php a second time with changed $local_emoncms_userid.

How did you set $local_emoncms_userid in the backup.php script ?

I left it with the default of 1.

Thanks a lot - I managed to fix it - the solution is described here : Cannot see any feed data after executing backup.php to migrate data from emoncms.org to local emoncms - #3 by jvda