Emoncms Android App V2.0.8 (open beta testing)

saw the 2.0.7 version today
still have overflow problems, the above video resumes pretty well the problems …

The font sizes are set in “sp”

sp
Scale-independent Pixels - this is like the dp unit, but it is also scaled by the user’s font size preference. It is recommended you use this unit when specifying font sizes, so they will be adjusted for both the screen density and user’s preference.

However it seems like it is not working correctly across all devices. It is possible to set different dimensions for different screen sizes, so I’ll try this to get a bigger output on tablets, and revert the font size on phones.

As reported by @joyrider3774 there is one final string to be translated:

See issue:

@tamsin has now made the string translatable and I’ve just committed a translation using Google translate, any chance @bidouilleur, @joyrider3774 and @gab.lau could proof read it and submit a PR to tweak if needed. Thanks :slight_smile:

@tamsin has committed a change to make the font smaller on phones and larger on tablets. Looks great to me. However, I could never recreate the text overflowing issues on my Nexus devices

I will be pushing a V2.0.8 beta update to Google Play this evening which includes this update and fixes for the loosing pages issues and some extra translated strings. Please could you test and report back. Thanks!

Nexus 5X

Nexus 7

@glyn.hudson dutch translation is correct, don’t know about the other languages.

I’ll check tommorow for the new version as i will have to recreate my 8 or was it 9 my electric pages again.

Btw was it ever determined what the cause was of loosing the pages ? my guess was that the new currency setting as that did not exist in the previous version.

if that’s the cause, what if for any reason another setting gets added in the future wouldn’t the same problem happen again then ?

You will probably find all your pages will re-appear after the update. Since they were never really ‘lost’ just not retrievable

Yes, it was. This was the fix:

V2.0.8 has now been released to beta channel. See release notes

ah if i only had known, as you could see in the video i tried wiping the app’s data to see if it made a change :slight_smile: no problem though i’ve recently renamed my feeds so it’s easier for me to see which feeds are what exactly shouldn’t take long to add them again

Hey guys,

Just gotten 2.0.8 and have found another problem that probably existed from the initial beta.

If you got say about 10 pages so that you need to scroll in the left pages bar to accees them all, you can get into troubles if you accidently set wrong server settings after the pages had been added. The problem is that the grey lower bar where it says you have connection problems is drawn over the settings menu item and you have no way to acces the menu and change server settings.then.
With me the problem was that at home i entered my local network settings so an internal ip but only noticed this outside of the house. So now i have no way to edit the settings to enter my external hostname as i cant access them until i get back home (and the connection works again). The problem can be easily fixed to always have settings and add page at the the top instead at the bottom. (so before any added pages) Its more important to acces settings than some page you cant acces which is not the case now. Or switch add page & server settings. If there is a connection problem you can’t add a page anyway but you would need to be able to either change or verify the server settings. What if people change their (external) hostname or accidently enter a wrong server etc while they had pages added before like me …they have no way to ever change the server settings again unless they delete pages

See screenshot below

Second problem is a new one. The dutch text changed for the combobox of the currency more speciffically for the customn currency setting. On my phone the text is too long and not everything is shown. @bidouilleur what do you think of changing this to something shorter like “andere munt (Specifieert u hieronder)”

third problem (needs to be verified as i just had this problem but did not try to reproduce again yet, am at work now):
If you have connection problems and during these connection problems you goto the settings of a page where you choose the feeds, you’ll get an error saying it can’t access the feeds. This is fine however it reverts the settings to auto when pressing the “back button” which seems to save settings all the time. If you get connection again afterwards the page does not work anymore nad you have to reenter the feeds again as they are now all set to “auto” again.
Probably can be simulated by entering correct data for a page then shutting down emoncms (http server) or enter wrong server address in account settings then goto a page & page’s settings (cog icon) press back and enter the correct server / account settings again / restart emoncms server. Then after this check the page it should tell you the feeds are not correctly entered / you need to reenter them. My guess is the problem comes from the back button always saving data when pressing it (and not being able to get the feeds list from server). not sure how to fix this but perhaps either don’t save during connection problems or add an explicit save button / icon (at the top) so settings won’t be affected if this happens as we did not explicitly click the save button during this

here’s a follow up video of font sizes. the android settings haven an impact on it (which is normal) it shows during account switching 0.00KWH while it does not show that when data is availbile (my point is the KWH should not be there as there is a smaller kwh displayed besides the value above “today” text it’s displayed twice). shows a force close when adding a second account after first deleting it.

Ok for the proposed text to avoid overflow

1 Like

do you or i change that text (so we don’t try to change same thing?)

Feel free to do. I can’t before tonight at best.

ok no problem, just done the PR

Thanks, merged :thumbsup:

I have created an issue for the settings button issue when creating lots of pages. I had not noticed this, since I had never created that many pages! it’s great to see you using the app and Emoncms to monitor so many things :smiley:

it only happens when you have connection problems not just when you have lots of pages. If you have lots of pages there is no problem you can access the settings. But when you have connection problems (as i had due to using internal ip not external hostname) you can’t access it due to the grey bar. I added that information to the issue as well.

I’ll make another issue dealing with the 3rd problem and create a video to show the problem

created the issue:

video of me simulating the problem (i simulated connection problems by enabling https while my (local) server does not accept this, but connection issue can occur for any reason and accessing page settings while having connection issues will revert it’s settings) see issue above for more info

Possible solutions:

• don’t let people goto page settings / add new pages while having connection problems
  • don’t save page settings while this happens (for example use explicit save icon we have to press to save)
1 Like

Just had the opportunity to test the app on a Nexus 9 tablet, it looks great :smiley:

while fooling some more (not long) I discovered something that might become nasty if someone doesn’t know.

I was typing some feed titles and by accident pushed several times carriage return instead back … anyway the title was now several lines down (empty) … nothing stopped me from doing so and …when you go back to the graphic … it is pushed as many lines down as you did in the title …
maybe limit the text field in length to avoid this ?

Ah good spot, any chance you could open an issue on Github? We’ll take a look next week. That should be easy to fix.

https://github.com/emoncms/AndroidApp/issues

done as requested

I might have found another small issue but not sure if it’s worth opening an issue for it.

If you install the app for the very first time you get greeted with the account adding screen. If you don’t want to add the account right away and exit the app this is not possible as pressing the back button (being hardware or software button) keeps displaying the add accounts page again instead of exiting the app. So in this case you have no way to exit the application. You can simulate this by deleting all your accounts in the app.

I only noticed it because i factory resetted my phone during the weekend

V2.0.9 has been rolled out to beta with some bug fixes, see release notes on github releases.

Thanks @joyrider3774 for Dutch text overflow fix.

V2.0.8 has been released to production a month or so ago. All seems to be good. Thanks again everyone for your help: