Dowell ipower 3kw storage inverter non runner

If its for test purposes why not just get a meanwell 48v psu.
I have one, its what i tested my ipowr inverter with. They can be adjusted up to 57v out, i think mines 20 amps.

That sounds ideal. The recommended max is 25amps, itā€™d certainly save me a lot of time and patience charging them using my old APC Inverters at around 1-2 amps per battery which is taking all day at present.

Just reading through the translated German manual (Lost a bit in conversion quality on the pictures but reference both German and translated copies and itā€™s pretty accurate) - certainly seems like a very configurable and well specā€™d Hybrid unit.

Pity that some versions may have more Wi-Fi web based feature depending of the firmware version, seems to be a Wi-Fi stick etc that is used widely in other more well known brands (Google the referenced FW version mentioned in the German manual) But none the less the model I have seems to have almost all the features referenced in the version 1.5 manual. Also it confused ā€˜Islandingā€™ with ā€˜Icelandā€™ but apart from that a pretty good reference doc to have.

I picked up 2 meanwells a few years ago on ebay for Ā£50.
I used one on my first delve into a back up power supply using a 6kw socomec sicom UPS.
I still have them, and they work really well together charging a small now very old 4kwh lifepo4 pack.
I have it as a back up power supply as we have a disabled son and some equipment like the thro floor lift needs power to oprate, so in the event of a grid outage i could use the ups to discharge, then when the power comes back on use the meanwell to recharge the battery.

Very inventive and out of the box thinking. Yes our daughter is Downs, and a lot of my motivation is based on making sure we have 5.5kw auto start Genny, off-grid, on grid, masses of Battery storage etc, but all said and done I think Iā€™m just a frustrated dooms day prepperā€¦ :slight_smile: Or maybe just a bit of a nerd really.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been able to get mine fully running using the default Acid battery settings.

But I cannot find any support in relation to using the RS485 or Battery Com 4 pin Weipu connectors.

The charger is great and has plenty of configurable output to power my Pylontech US2000 plus batteries.

But in the long run I need to get the correct Li-Pn Li-Gn option working (otherwise the options result in a Bat Comm error).

There is a forum where someone refers to the ā€˜Modbusā€™ adapter (I think thatā€™s what it is) which you have on your display board.

But mine does not have it, instead my plug is in the main LCD board not the add on that yours has.Have you made sense or use of the two com ports at all?

Also, I should have linked this forum post as well, it is the only other one that seems to address our Dowell Inverters -

Cheers.

Steve.

Just re-read our length off topic conversation (sorry I hadnā€™t realized that it was posting hereā€¦) I didnā€™t reply to you about the Pylontech batteries and your interest.

I have 5x US2000 which were my main interest for my personal battery storage solution. And although the remaining H48050 batteries (X-Cube or whatever that product was sold as?) are very similar,

They need a separate 500 controller in order to work in their designed configuration - conected in series rather than in parallel like the US2000ā€™s. However the battery cells and configuration are otherwise identical and can be exchanged between various models that use the 48v 15s configuration.

So if you are close enough and want one to ā€˜playā€™ with at all then let me know.

But my next task is to find some lifepo4 80wh 25ah cell pouches and try my hand at repairing the batteries because I have around 18 of the 5s2p packs (the batteries use 3 of theses packs per unit) that I want to repair.

Im in south Wales Steve.

If your thinking of offloading a few, or if you get the opportunity to get some more, and you have no interest in them at that time, bear me i mind and im sure i can find a use for them.
But, if you are fairl local, id love to pop around nd have a gander at them, especially the inside.
Thanks
Anthony

Yes, Iā€™m in St Asaph,

I work for the Ambulance Service so I get down south sometimes or all-over North Wales regularly.

Iā€™ll send some photos of the units. Basically, they have a balancing BMS which just burns off excess energy displayed by a single LED, per each cell.

How they justify a price tag of Ā£1000 plus is beyond me. They are pretty agricultural to me. As I say, if you can get hold of the cell pouches then fixing up any spares or repairs that you may encounter looks pretty straight forward and at a far more realistic price (There is zero support for these in this country).

Iā€™d think that making them yourself using the Ā£150 Lifepo4 batteries that you get online and sticking your own Bluetooth/wireless Daly BMS etc makes far more economical sense.

Other than trying to get something like this poorly supported Dowell Hybrid inverter (or other compatible inverter/charger) to work correctly with these Pylontech US2000ā€™s as a more complete, fire and forget solution as close to being a more homespun, bespoke solution (for those without vast sums of cash to throw at these things) and is possibly much more appealing and fun.

Hi Steve
I have helped put 1/2 a nissan leaf pack into my brothers house operating with his 6kw solar and a lux powertek AC coupled inverter.
The BMS that we used is a AUS unit called a Zeva bms, its for anything up to 16 cells.
Firstly we used the Lux inverter to control the battery in a lead acid setup, using the max as 57.2v and min as 51v, and that worked happily for a few months
During that time we had info from lux about the canbus data and settings, i passed that info onto ZEVA and the wrote a program for us so now the inverter has direct comms with the bms and that has been faultless for 3 years now. I will say tho that it also worked really well with the inverter set as a lead acid setting and our own max and mins set up.
Plus, on top of that we also have a programmable voltmeter and current shunt, thats out absolute max and min cut off via a relay, so in the event of the inverte going faulty, then the bms failing, as a 3rd safety we have the voltmemter to shut everything off in a over or under voltage situation, so 3 levels of safety. the 4th is a fire extinguisher lolā€¦
Then a few mnths ago, we had a play with a kia niro ev battery module with a Slax SUSK3700 hybrid, and hats in my sons house, thats going to use a Stuart Pittaway DIYbms and we shall run some test on that system.
Ive rea;;y enkoyed playing about with them.

Would like to have got my hands on an electric car battery and the guy I got Pylontech batts off said he can get them but nothing yetā€¦

But yeah, the DIYBMS is the ideal solution for Lifepo4 in my opinion but still too bespoke and early days for me yet. Was hoping the Lifepo4 version would be fully developed by now, because it would blow the UK market wide open for affordable DIY options on what is possible the safest and most stable Lithium battery option. No real need for the fire extinguishers then.

We have been using the DIYbms now for about 3 months and i have to say, its pretty damn good. We have the newest v4.4 slaves and the v4 controller, there is now a v4.2 controller with built on can and relays.
This thing is very easily configurable for all lithium battery types, and so far seems to be reliable.

Yes I originally joined the forum at the start of the pandemic with an unrelated interest spun from my 3D printing projects and the need to use Lithium 18650 cells.

Several people pointed me back at the site in the past few months particularly related to my interest in Lifepo4 etc.

Just struggling to find the time to throw at it with work - but Iā€™d love to just buy a complete DIY BMS unit and see it working and then see what I can do with it but the Lifepo4 stream seems to be a little more developmental at present, but Iā€™ll try and read up on where itā€™s at now when I get chance.

It certainly wasnā€™t ā€˜out of the boxā€™ for the 15s packs that iā€™m currently playing with. More in line with the mainstream Chinese and US Ā£150 DIY packs that you tend to see. But certainly, where I need to be headed with this stuffā€¦