DIYBMS v4

Ok thanks
Can we use it to make 200 volt packs ? maybe put them in series ? :frowning: up to 800 volts ?
Why did you not put the shunt in the negative leg of the battery like most othe BMS do. ?

I really like your design and we will use it in production 48 volt 100 amp packs.
I donā€™t like ESP32 prefer the pycom boards (python fan) :blush:

We have monitoring website and would like to move the data to a sqlite DB .
Could we do a HTTP post every 5 min to dump the data as we extend the clients warranty if its monitored .

Could the controller be built in node red :blush: might be fun project.

Sorry for all the questions.

Which chips are a problem .

Thanks for your time and effort.

I think I will order some boards and shunt and CPU to build a test unit
I am also going to do my first open source monitoring project in node red .
Time to give back

The shunt would probably work in the negative lead, but thatā€™s not how it was designed.

It would be quite simple to add a http call in to upload data to a site.

Just a reminder that diybms is an open source project, but not for any commercial use or resale, this is part of the licensing conditions.

cool i will read the licensing

Ok, so i did not test this, but found it to be very easy to install influxdb2.x, i stepped away from raspbarian and used a windows vm :wink:
I am only struggling to get a gauge for the Total bank voltageā€¦
Anyone got a tip?

Stuart I raised a ticket on github, i also found that when the influx server is unavailable/the controller cant write to the server, but influxdb logging is enabled, my controller reboots.
I put that in the ticket too.

Thanks!

Ok, so while testing , so far I have had one spontaneous reboot, but I think it is hard to capture the serial output, because for now it seems the new firmware has made the duration between reboot less predictable and long and the test rig is in my shed, I cannot get a laptop there for very long. Because i got a preassembled controller board from someone with the esp32 module on it, I have a lot of unkowns about the build and its quality, so i have for now ordered at least a new esp32 unit (u) with external antenne.
Did do some testing with relays and rules an that seems to be working ok.

Has anyone here been tinkering with influxdbv2 dashboards? And especially the gauge part (Total bank voltage at last measurement)

Will ahā€™s and current flow also be available via influxdb logging one i have a shunt(module) and attach that?

And are there already shunt boards available (Just one and minus shunt itself but assembled with electronics would perfecto)

Thanks Maarten

Random reboots are sometimes a symptom of the power supply being unable to deliver the current needed. Make sure itā€™s at least 2amp, 5v.

The esp uses the most power when connected to a weak WiFi signal, the the external aerial is a good ideas.

I donā€™t think there is any stock of the current monitor boards pre assembled.

Finally, although i do not quite understand all settings, i got my dashboard up and running again
Diybmscontroller to influxdb v2.0 tp grafana
Still looking to drop grafana an viualize only with influxdb to minimize resources;) (windows server 2012 vm with only 2gB ram, already doing an emailserver too)

I could not find a suitable topic regarding alternative/replacement parts. Sorry if sidetracking thread.

I understand many have troubles with chip shortages. I ordered from JLCPCB (modules & controller) when I regarded that a ā€œsolvableā€ number were missing that I could hand solder. Iā€™m NOT an expert and could use a little help.

• AO3400A is missing from v440 modules. Would SQ2318BES (Mouser) be a suitable replacement?
  • TJA1051T/3 has many variants (2Z, 118, CM118 - cant find meaning) - would any work? Is it necessary? GitHub BOM TJA1057GT/3 also very unavailableā€¦
  • TCA6408 - any replacement and I remember a mention itā€™s not necessary either? Any other alternative?

Is there otherwise a sticky or something to follow except GitHub + YouTube vids? I noticed my D2 diodes are wrong way - happened on topic looking thru forum.

Thanks for any help!

1 Like

The TJA1051T/3 is only used for CANBUS and the controller will work without it until stocks become available.

The TCA chip is needed.

Most equivalent MOSFETs should work in the modules, need to be able to handle at least 2amp and have low rdson value.

finaly my battery is ready
diy bms is working very good

2 Likes

@stuart I am finding that the DiyBMs with the latest code is tripping the shunt or activating the relays when we either power it on or reboot it.
I think the issue for this that when it initially powers on if not all the module pull through fast enough the system reads the pack voltage as too low and activates the shunt, after about up to 1min, all the modules report in and all is well, Can I make a suggestion that on first boot/reboot the controller does not activate any of the rules for atleast 2-3mins, a form of delay ?

Hi, do you have any PCBs and components?

No sorry, not had any spares for some time now.

Hi @stuart i always thought my lcd was too dark, i only got 2.6v on the led input so i decided to follow the power.
It led me to the r21 resistor, i jumped it so i get 2.9v to the led input and now the display is much better.
Any reason why the r21 resistor exists?
consumption of the lcd goes from 57ma to 3.5ma wih the 180ohm resistor.
A limitation on the TCA9534A?

EDIT, got it working, was using the wrong flashing tool

Iā€™m getting this error programing:

Using ā€˜COM4ā€™ as serial port.
Connectingā€¦
Detecting chip typeā€¦ ESP32
Connectingā€¦

Chip Info:

• Chip Family: ESP32
  • Chip Model: ESP32D0WDQ6 (revision 1)
  • Number of Cores: 2
  • Max CPU Frequency: 240MHz
  • Has Bluetooth: YES
  • Has Embedded Flash: NO
  • Has Factory-Calibrated ADC: YES
  • MAC Address: 7C:9E:BD:65:5D:98
    Uploading stubā€¦
    Running stubā€¦
    Stub runningā€¦
    Changing baud rate to 460800
    Changed.
  • Flash Size: 4MB
    Unexpected error: The firmware binary is invalid (magic byte=FF, should be E9)

Do I have the wrong ESP32?

OK, thanks

@stuart is there a 3d model for the DIN_Rail_Case for the Controller? Thought I could try to 3d print it.

I was going to add - you used the wrong flash method!!

No, its a part you can buy from AliExpress for a few $

1 Like