DIYBMS v4

Thats quite pricey! But at least you got the boards you wanted.

I would want to place an order for the last version of the components, but Iā€™m a bit confused with git branches. My intuition says that the one with the date should be the more recent, but it appears to be the one named ā€œController_v4.3ā€ in spite of the version in there. And changes seem important. What should I download for ordering?
Are there some changes currently happening and should I wait for them to be committed?

Iā€™m so interested in a shunt future functionality.
Thanks and sorry for the nwb question.

Yeah, I debated for a week on pulling the trigger on this order. I compared what JLCPCB would produce for me with a number of surface mount components skipped including the through hole ones.

I looked at how much it would be for me to source the parts separately, including shipping and taxes. I did not include any amount for my labor. PCBWay came out to be about 20% more than JLCPCB but I did get fully populated boards for it.

you need all 5 controllers for your project ?

That will become the latest version in a short time - Iā€™ve not tested the boards enough at the moment though, so order at your own risk.

Nothing major has changed, the addition of a couple of buttons to help wake the screen up if you install it inside the case.

Yeah, I have just barely enough. I might even need to buy a few to have as spares

Hi.
I just try to order my JLCPCB modules but there are a lack of components: :scream:

-NTC thermistors [C51597]: The most aprox part is CMFB103F3970 thats 3970K instead of 3950. I dont know if is ok or will be possible to modify by softwareā€¦ or temperature error will be minimal.

-TJA1057GT/3 (canbus): Other variants (no /3) will work with 3,3 level interface? anyway I cantā€™ find no one.

-TCA9534A (I/O): Looks that PCA9534PW will be good substitute?

I ask for this to JLCPCB and, on semiconductors, the lack can last for MONTHS!!

Thanks!

Iā€™m in the same boat as you!

Iā€™ve been trying to place an other for 280 modules and 30+ controllers but ca never get all the parts in stock at the same time!

Thanks for the cost details, definitely a bit higher than I anticipated. But it is good to know that they can provide fully populated PCBs in a rather timely manner.

I have a weired issue. I have 5 x 14s Strings in parallel on one new controller. Everything nearly fine but one weired behaviour of one module.

It is Module 1 in 4th string. it shows blinking blue and green led during normal operation, and i donā€™t know what that means. Iā€™ve replaced it - no change, Iā€™ve replaced connection between module 3/14 and 4/1 - no change.

Module 4/1 only shows problems when it should balance. it often stops even when voltage is way too highā€¦

any ideas?

thx Karl

Thatā€™s a lot of modules!

It may be the watchdog timer kicking in, which double flashes the blue led. This occurs every 8 seconds.

What packet round trip time do you get in the installation?

Yep, a lot. Thatā€™s why i really appreciated the new controller :grin:
One roundtrip takes 13sā€¦

Ok, so that sounds like it could be the cause of the blue flashes.

We can look to reduce the interval between requests for such a lot of modules - theV4.40 boards will help with this as well.

ā€œwe can look to reduceā€¦ā€ what doesā€™t that mean. are you going to adapt firmware somehow?

As is really a lot of modules, I would prefer NOT to replace them :wink:

Thanks for your efforts!

by the way: the green ligth on all modules doesnā€™t run through in one piece but does (donā€™t know exactly) 20 modules in one piece, later again next 20 modules and last 6 modules only very rarelyā€¦ maybe same reason with timeout.

That is how it works -it should be 16 modules at a time from memory, rather than 20

If its all working well then lets leave as it is.

got it.

had installations with just 16 modules in total before, therefore didnā€™t experience that behaviourā€¦

coming back to primary topic: I donā€™t have any issues with timeout but Module 4/1 and 4/2 donā€™t balance and show wrong voltage, even when I calibrate them.
You intend to fix it in the firmware somehow, or what should I do?

thx

Ok, if they show the wrong voltage, then they are unlikely to balance.

If you disconnect the ā€œloopā€ of communications for the modules and just leave bank 4 connected, does the voltage reading correct itself?

Iā€™m trying to locate the source of the problem, module hardware, or controller/module software

ok, will test that and come backā€¦ on the weekendā€¦

thx

Iā€™ll wait then. Aught JLCPCB is lacking components.
Just one question Stuart: Say I have two arrays (batteries) 14s. Will one controller alone do for all of them? And how that will be setup? All the string modules as it was all just one battery?

A single controller will monitor this. Just connect the modules together (28 of them) and tell the controller there are two banks - it will then split them into two strings/banks.