DIYBMS v4

Hello Stuart,
Thanks for the new controller. Runs great.
Had some problems programming the ESP32. Just had to press the “EN” button and then the “BOOT” button. Of course I did not know, I had to read first :slight_smile:
In the next few days I will then update the modules.
Thank you for your work.

1 Like

is there any instructions on what lcd and what esp32 are recomended?

The ESP and TFT modules are listed in the bill of materials

1 Like

I’m in the process of ordering the new version of controller, and D2 orientation is wrong!!
(Stuart made a post about this on Patreon)

A message to JLCPCB probably can prevent the wrong orientation.

I just wanted to mention it again as it was by chance I saw it Patreon.

This has also been corrected on GitHub I believe.

I have a few module PCBs available for anyone who is interested in them:

• Seven v4.1 PCBs fully populated.
  • Seven v4.1 PCBs needing the ATTiny, JST connectors and 2x3 programming headers.

If anyone is interested drop me a message and we can work out the details.

Note: I have all parts to fully populate the seven that are needing parts still.

Hi-

I recently got my v4 controller and v4.21 module boards back from JLCPCB, and the controller seems to be running well, but I’m not able to get it communicating with the two modules I’ve tried so far. (I did load firmware onto the modules, seemed to take OK)

What’s my best line of troubleshooting on this? Is there somewhere else I should be looking for assistance? I have the modules connected TX->RX in a ring, pin 1 to pin1 (etc), though I did briefly try it the other way (pin1->2, etc).

Thanks!

Sid1, could you share this dash with me ? Thanks!

Regarding the New style controller, is there a possibility to have a single board ordered and assembled somehow? Or do a group-buy. The “old controller” i had ordered and assembled at jlcpcb five-fold and currently using 2, so able to sell 2 or 3 of those now maybe one more if i have a New controller;)

I did a group buy in the USA and the last two boards were just reserved. If there is more interest in them, I can order another batch of 30.

Can I also use the SZNUP2105LT1G instead of the NUP2105LT1G? The NUP2105LT1G is currently out of stock.

The smallest order from JLCPCB is five boards and minimum populated is three I believe.

I did order 30 boards but they have all been sent out to Patreons and others who messaged me for them.

I can order another batch of boards if there is interest for them or if @stuart has any left he might be able to put them on the shop on here.

1 Like

Hi, sounds like you are connecting the modules correctly. Focus on getting 1 module working first.

Please follow the steps in GITHUB on how to program the modules using AVRDUDE and the precompiled files.

Once you have done that, get back to me if they don’t work.

I’ve dropped @glyn.hudson a note to see if he’s willing to stock in the OEM shop. That’s probably the easiest option for everyone, as they ship worldwide and have the staff and equipment to deal with postage/orders etc.

@stuart
I want to get started on trying the new controller (using the ESP32) so i am trying to order at JCLPCB using :

Gerber : diyBMSv4/Controller_Gerber.zip at master · stuartpittaway/diyBMSv4 · GitHub
BOM file : diyBMSv4/ControllerCircuit_bom_jlc.csv at master · stuartpittaway/diyBMSv4 · GitHub
Pick and Place file : diyBMSv4/ControllerCircuit_cpl_jlc.csv at master · stuartpittaway/diyBMSv4 · GitHub

All components besides :

1. TFT display i can buy on bangood using your link : 2.8 inch ili9341 240x320 spi tft lcd display touch panel spi serial port module Sale - Banggood.com
  2. Controller : I already have few ESP32 DevKitC - WROOM-32U.
  3. 3 things are missing on JCLPCB :

Anything else i should be aware of ?

1 Like

The NUP2105 can be swapped for the alternative JLCPCB suggest.

I would wait until the AO3401A is in stock again before making an order.

1 Like

If needed and if there is sufficient interest I’ll order another batch

Quick question:

The cell modules, some of them show 0.2 difference or so.
I’m aware I can calibrate.

My question is if this calibration stay in the cell module, or is it the controller that keeps the settings?

If my understanding is correct the cell over voltage to start burning energy (I choose 3.55v) is being stored in the cell module.

Calibration… I don’t know

Edit: I calibrated one, and then swapped it.
It seems to be in the controller only.

Also the bypass voltage doesn’t seem to be stored in the controller after rebooting?

Nope!

The cell modules all contain their own calibration and balance settings on a per cell basis.

However, when the controller is first powered up, it scans all the modules and reads the settings (caches them) so that the web page loads quicker.

If you just swapped a module without resetting the controller, it would have appeared to have kept the previous values.

The cache is cleared down and refreshed after several minutes, so if left long enough, you would have seen the changes.

1 Like

The “global” setting doesn’t affect the modules directly, its just an easy way for you to bulk set the voltages across the whole bank(s), rather than having to edit each one.

1 Like