DIYBMS v4

Hi Fred, please use the YouTube video I made to show you how to build the code. The releases version of the code isn’t the latest one.

Thanks for responding.
Watched the video
Cloned repo…Opened workspace…changed com port and clicked ‘alien’…clicked upload (success)…looking for ‘Upload File System image’…looking…looking…looking…

This issue just doesn’t seem to go away for me.
There is no ‘Upload File System image’.
Oh, It moved under ‘PlatformIO’ ok.
Wait, now there is no ‘PlatformIO’. now where is it?
Is the software updated? Is the version too new, too old?
Have you cloned the repository? Have you downloaded the .zip file?
If you downloaded the .zip file, oh it won’t work…why have it then?
With every new update I’m beginning to get ptsd
Great Project Stuart, don’t get me wrong.

A little off topic but related, I have been playing around with DC switching high current, high DC voltage using Mosfet to do the switching, with a 5v source like the relays used in the diyBMS I would like to power down or up a battery or solar controller PV inputs, so far it is looking possible to use a mosfet instead of a relay that has limited capacity

1 Like

Interesting but why do you want to use this and not a DC breaker with shunt coil ? I mean the FET’s are not that cheap as i can see. Is it because you also want to turn them back on programatically instead of manually which is the case with shunt trip coils ?

This may help…

The mosfet are solid state and cost me about $40 each not including a heatsink, there is no contacts to get fused together or burn out and with no coil to heat up, and needing very little energy to run, I find that there are more pluses then minus, and can handle large currents continuously

I guess this could also be used for battery ? The contracts seem small but I see they are rated for high current so they must handle I guess. The battery terminals are quite big in my case. So how do they work in practice. They stay open when there is 5v ? Do they use power when they are open eg turned on or when they are off ? How much do you think in total cost you end up ? I can see you use Victron equipment, so do I.

The N channel mosfets needs switching voltage to turn on the circuit, and as i have not work on P channel mosfets but I think they need switching voltage to turn them off.
This is only experimental at the moment and not tested fully, so be wary as i am not a electrical expert and far from being one, but the layout is as shown.

Depending on the circuit voltage, one concern might be RDSon, i.e. the voltage dropped across the FET when turned on and passing the full current. You need the heatsink for a reason - it’s to dissipate the power that arises from that voltage drop, and that power is effectively going to waste.

Yeah i was wondering that too, heatsinks are there for a reason to dissipate i saw some extremely hight numbers in the datasheet. Power Dissipation (Max) 680W (Tc) !!!

One mosfet is 11m ohms and the other is 45m ohms RDSon, yes heatsinks are very important, that is why i have made bolt on plastic angle mounts so the mosfet mounts on the bottom of the finned heatsink and not the top, as heat rises. will keep informed under load condition

The best mounting arrangement will be to bolt your brackets to a vertical surface, so that the base of the fins, as well as the fins themselves, is vertical. That way you will have a clear convection flow of air across the full depth of the fins.

Damn… The smallest thing has been driving me crazy for 3days now.

I couldn’t figure out how to reset the esp8266’s saved wifi credentials that I had Initially set. So I had flashed a new esp8266 with the same Diybms v4 code as the first one…

But now when I power it up and connect to its ssid that it’s broadcasting and try to goto 192.168.4.1 the browser seems like it’s trying to connect and then fails with error 500. So it can see that the address is there but cannot connect to it.

And if I run a ip scanner or various commands on the command line it all shows that 192.168.4.1 is there an available…

I tried everything I can think of. Including different PCS and my Android phone, as well as another brand new esp8266.

Is there a way I can manually set which SSID and password it will connect to in vscode before I Flash the esp8266? Instead of having it broadcast it’s own SSID initially?

Or does anyone have any ideas what’s going on

I guess I’ll post this here as well.
I would think you would want to stay away from ‘magic’ or ‘magically happening’ in software development as well as in electronics.
Having the ‘Upload File System image’ magically appear in one window and not in the one immediately opened afterward be a flag.
I don’t understand it.

The 500 error normally means you didn’t upload file system image.

However if you look in the main.cpp file, there are 4 or 5 lines commented out which you can enable to set the WiFi to what you want manually.

It’s in the setup() function.

I’ve seen it doing that as well, think it’s a bug in platform Io.

An extremely frustrating bug
Once you have it showing, don’t close the window whatever you do, you may never get it back.

If anyone has an issue with Windows 10 not recognizing their D1 Mini on any com port, (me),
I fixed it by installing the driver for USB to UART.
I have no affiliation with them, it just worked for me.

CP210x USB to UART Bridge VCP Drivers - Silicon Labs (silabs.com)

You must have the Silicon Labs drivers for both Windows and Mac OS. The driver is built into the Linux kernel, so another driver is not needed for any Linux flavour.

There are installation instructions for the SiLabs Driver in the ‘Learn’ section here: Learn→Electricity Monitoring→Using the Arduino IDE

If you are insisting on using platformio, ignore the first part about installing the Arduino IDE.
(Though my experience of platformio means I’m unable to recommend it and I advise the utmost caution when installing and using it. I would always recommend the Arduino IDE ahead of that.)