DIY Lithium Battery Balancer and monitoring (BMS)

Can you check the serial monitor? It may happen that the module is provided and you can see it in serial monitor but not in the web interface.

Serial monitor shows provisioning started but nothing else.

Hey I just watched this video about an active cell balancer:

Aliexpress link:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DYKB-1-2A-Balance-3S-4S-6S-7S-8S-9S-13S-16S-Li-ion-Lipo-Lifepo4/33016204911.html

It is very cheap and could be used in conjunction with the DIY BMS, right?

I still have not had any luck provisioning. I using 2.2k pullups. I tried a 10k and no luck. I made a cable from cat5 cable. Moved to a different room. How can I tell if I’m having an i2c issue? I get nothing back on the console. I’m going to build another board tonight and try again from scratch. Maybe the 4th time is a charm?

Looks like Stuart’s V4 is going to come with more external input and control for things like inverters , charge termination etc. making it quite feature rich. As you say these can be an “add on” in some circumstances - high drain with large imbalance etc. or places where a monitored BMS is not required.

Still trouble shooting. Ran an i2c scanner and I’m not getting any address back?

Did you buy your ADUM chips from Alliexpress ? If so maybe try another source/seller. Also R5 should not be populated - the pads should be soldered together (shorted).
2.2k pull up should be fine.

Funny story on the ADUM. I misplaced my original order of those chips, so I had to order them again. So I have more than enough from the same vendor? I tried one from each order group and removing R5. Still sees nothing on i2c. I guess I will order a couple more to try and see if that is it. I have a feeling it’s something with one of the chips but I can’t tell. Thanks for the suggestions!

Thats not correct, a basic i2c scanner on the wemos should report the module “listening”. I’d suggest that the ADUM chip is faulty or not connected properly.

Did you get the correct ADUM chip - I once ordered a batch of the wrong ones ADUM1251 - they should be ADUM1250.

V4? Oh no. I’m in too deep. Got my frying pan ready to go!

1 Like

Did you change any resistor values to read the lower temperatures of the cells versus the balancing resistor?

The version on github has the different resistor values in it - after feed back on using in cold temperatures. No such problems with V4 :slight_smile:

Progress. Waffling on the Thermistor position. Should the Ballance resistor sit proud of the board for better airflow? I’m using a 10w 3Ω so I doubt it will ever get crazy hot, but then again I don’t know what I’m doing😀

1 Like

Yes. I put the balance resistor just proud of the PCB just enough to avoid contact. If you are using the new parts list that have omitted R5 then it should be replaced with a short.

1 Like

Thank you. I’ll pop that off and populate R1 with some room to breathe. :hot_face:

1 Like

I’ve updated the V3 Gerber files on github - this now reflects the removal of R5 and I’ve also made the mounting holes 3.2mm instead of 2.5mm to fit standard sizes screws.

Is the v4 hardware working well so far?
Do you have any updates?

Also waiting for updates on V4. Checking here, YouTube and GitHub even for alpha/beta versions.
Would like to use it in an RV where power consumption is more important because of the lower capacities.
Regards,
Mario - a new one here

Don’t worry V4 is coming soon, just finishing off a video for it now.

Hi Stuart, in the V4 boards , looks from the picture you shared that the old cement resistors may be too long to fit . Do you have some other type of option in mind for those who prefer to go with the wire wound option rather than the onboard type?