DIY Lithium Battery Balancer and monitoring (BMS)

Thanks i’m looking at it now, i submitted the gerber.zip from the github page, the one dated the 21st. their message was

We reviewed the file and noticed there is no GBS drill file inside.

Is this the file?

https://github.com/stuartpittaway/diyBMS/blob/master/BMS-Cell-Module-Circuit/Gerber/BMS_Cell_Module-drl_map.ps

Strange, they told me I’d missed the back solder mask file (which I had) but never mentioned the drill file !!

I know you asked for local recyclers- and i was just recently looking at buying new set of lithium batteries for another project and i ran across these i can not say about the quality as i have not order any yet… but the price is good about the same as new lead acid battery… they are portable packs that come with BMS and charging units, but they can also be charge off the post too. according to the manufacture . and i was considering purchasing a sample order of them – maybe you be interest too- looks like one could build a 3kw for $500 or 10kw for $1200

They are certainly dropping in price, I’ll stick with my recycled 18650 cells for now though

I’ve just done exactly the same and used your gerber file from the 14th with the missing back solder mask. Do you have a gerber file with all the layers allpcb needs but that doesn’t have the board cut in half?

I just sent the files from GITHUB from here…
https://github.com/stuartpittaway/diyBMS/tree/master/BMS-Cell-Module-Circuit/Gerber

They asked about the board split, I just said to ignore that and produce a solid board.

Personally, If you have not confirmed the order yet I’d hold fire!

Thanks Stuart, no it’s not a confirmed order. I had asked them to ignore the split but they asked for another gerber. I had went back tot the version from the 14th and added in the back solder mask but it still seemed to have the split. As you may be able to tell kicad is not my forte, really appreciate the work your doing on the project.

If you think you might be modding the design i’ll hold off and upload the new gerber files.

There are a couple of things which have caused a few problems, the circuit works fine but I need to refine the components sizes and I think I will remove the break in the circuit, it only adds complexity and increase through hole components

Just to update the changes have been completed and github has been updated with the newest bill of materials and PCB layouts

My boards shouldn’t be too much longer hopefully, amazing shipping for the cost.

Mine are in transit - 4 day delivery from China for free :slight_smile:

Mine just arrived today and they included 14 boards as well

Bonus! Upload me a photo - I’ve not yet seen the board I’ve designed !!

I still don’t understand how they can make those for less than 35 pence each!

And deliver them in under a week!!

I’ll be ordering a few more boards as i think this offer can’t continue.

Amazing!

Mine were the same price.

Photos attached.

1 Like

Wow @BrianD that must have taken a bit of soldering!

Does it work as expected ?

Soldered with hot air. Not easy!

The attached is a reference plot produced by the sister board. This run did not have the equaliser (I am calling it an equaliser to distinguish from your balancer) connected.

The cells are un-matched salvaged from an old cordless drill.

My problem is they are much better balanced than I was expecting consequently the equaliser does not have much to do.

I need to get some rubbish cells from somewhere.

I need to get some rubbish cells from somewhere.

Just hit ebay or amazon and you will be flooded with counterfeit Panasonic and similar cells for pennies…