After upgrade 2 questions/problems

Continuing the discussion from emonSD-03May16 Release:

Installed it and it seems to run ok. First time I did this so sorry for newbie questions :wink:

though

1 in setup/my account there is nothing I can edit, all links don’t react

2 in terminal I tried to set timezone via raspi-config. I do get the menu and can navigate to my timezone but it seems unable to write

perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:
LANGUAGE = (unset),
LC_ALL = (unset),
LC_CTYPE = “UTF-8”,
LANG = “en_GB.UTF-8”
are supported and installed on your system.
perl: warning: Falling back to a fallback locale (“en_GB.UTF-8”).
locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory
/usr/bin/locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
/usr/bin/locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory
/var/lib/dpkg/info/tzdata.postinst: 29: /var/lib/dpkg/info/tzdata.postinst: cannot create >/etc/timezone: Read-only file system

Guess I need to unblock the SD card … not to sure what to use for this without breaking all

I can’t help with 1 but 2 can be done with

rpi-rw
sudo raspi-config
rpi-ro
1 Like

great

was able to set timezone and when in write mode the zones in profile open to edit

Basically I unlocked, changed all what I want in My Profile and relocked.
Not sure why we lock down the pi this way ?
But thanks Paul

EDIT : even after locking the card, the zones stay editable on my Profile … weird :pensive:

Making the OS read-only was done to extend SD card life. More info here and here.

1 Like

Eric - Concerning Item 2: I had similar issues with the emonSD-03May16 build. The raspi-config Timezone seemed to work OK, but there were exit errors related to the Language. From memory they were similar to what you saw.

LANGUAGE = (unset),
LC_ALL = (unset),
LC_CTYPE = “UTF-8”,
LANG = “en_GB.UTF-8”

The emonPi was in write mode with rpi-rw.

I ran rasps-config again and looked at Internationalisation Options > Change Locale and I saw lots of locations selected. In the past I only remember en_GB.UTF-8 UTF-8 selected.

Once I edited the /etc/default/locale file and changed/added the following lines then all worked A-OK (my changes are for the US):

LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8
LANGUAGE=en_US.UTF-8

(Link suggestion from Paul R in Dec 2015.)

Jon