Wind Turbine Remote Monitor based on OpenEnergyMonitor

Hello all,

Project Background
I’ve been researching various pages on the Open Energy Monitor project, and other project examples to help me with a project I’m working on. I’m currently volunteering for an NGO in Peru called Wind Aid, and we make small scale off grid turbine systems and deploy them in communities that have no access to the electricity network. The project is to create a remote monitor that alerts us when a turbine is no producing electricity when it should, and also to collect power and environmental and transmit it remotely.

Given the wealth of information here I’d like to base our project on the Open Energy monitor. Parts availability is a problem here in Peru, but have got suppliers for Arduino UNOs, Raspberry Pi’s and a GSM shield, and the option of USB GSM modem for internet connectivity.

I’m reading various parts of the project;

https://openenergymonitor.org/emon/buildingblocks/how-to-build-an-arduino-energy-monitor

• the hardware technical wiki (as a new user I’ve just been informed I can only inlcude 2 links in a post… !!!)

However I’m struggling to understand how I can adapt the code suitably for this project. The core functions of what the project does is perfect, a sensor interface, passing the data to a PC, which then transmit to the web. But being new the makers community, I’m finding the documentation difficult to follow. The arduino coding for example in the how to build an arduino energy monitor, relies on libraries, is it possible to edit those libraries?

Also I found a broken link to get the image file for the Rasberry Pi;

https://github.com/openenergymonitor/emonpi/Docs/emonSD-pre-built-SD-card-Download-&-Change-Log

Any help would be much apprciated. I hope I can document the project and add this example as another application of the project.

Best Regards
Stuart

I think I’ve fixed that for you.

Indeed it is - they look like ordinary “C++” code, and are compiled when you compile the sketch (i.e., in my book, they’re not real “object” libraries).

The latest image for the SD card is emonSD pre built SD card Download & Change Log · openenergymonitor/emonpi Wiki · GitHub

(@glyn.hudson - note broken link in OP)

You might find it easier, probably better, to base your sketches on the emonTx sketches rather than the tutorial that you mentioned. Although the tutorial works, the emonTx sketches are fully engineered, optimized and well proven.

The site has “evolved” over time and has got into a bit of a maze in places. Keep asking the questions.

What page did you find this broken link?

Thanks for prompt responses, Ill do some research into editing Arduino libraries, very new to this field.

Also thanks for allowing questions to flow

I’ve just been experimenting sending data to ThingSpeak with Rasbperry Pi, what are the benefits of using EmonCMS?

Regards to the broken link, I’d have to check my history, like its been said it’s a bit of a maze going from main website to wiki to forums.