Visual Studio Code - Compiling error?

Hi:
I’ve followed intructions from Stuart’s Youtube Video " DIYBMS v4 Latest code updates & programming module/controller"

Installed Visualcode in Ubuntu, PlatformIO extension and the sourcode from GitHub. When doing the “upload” it shows me a compilation error…
xtensa-lx106-elf-g++: error: unrecognized command line option '-std=gnu++17’

Not sure if related but in the Output tag there are two lines that say:
[9/8/2021, 22:22:10] For C++ source files, the cppStandard was changed from “c++17” to “c++14” based on compiler args and querying compilerPath: “/home/francesc/.platformio/packages/toolchain-xtensa/bin/xtensa-lx106-elf-gcc”
[9/8/2021, 22:22:10] For C source files, the cStandard was changed from “c17” to “c11” based on compiler args and querying compilerPath: “/home/francesc/.platformio/packages/toolchain-xtensa/bin/xtensa-lx106-elf-gcc”

Could someone give me some light? :slight_smile:
Thanks in advance,
Francesc.

Yeah, …

Not sure if it’s VB or one of the plug-in Platform IO that makes trouble, this video is unusable now.

Due to updates in their software, it doesn’t work anymore.

Usually not a biggy.
If you look at the latest GitHub post, you will read about the new way of flashing.

It took me a while to find it also.
Include the repository for the bin files…

Read carefully, and there is a link to the bin files, quickly to be missed :nerd_face:

While this solves the probelm for most people, if you want to change the code and compile…
It’s a challenge.

I managed to get things working using the older version of the software.
June last year period it did work.
I believe the killing update was in September or so.

Just took those older versions.

Usually the repository is enough.
There are some alterative ways and tools.
And perhaps the platform IO forums can give tips on how to make it work, more permanent way then using the old versions :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks Frank.
I will try to see whether I find I solution.

In the meantime, I’ve flashed the controller using " Thonny Python IDE" which has ESP8266 recognised. :slight_smile:

Waiting for all materials in the meantime.

I’ve been able to compile the code. These are the following changes required

platformio.ini file:

1. Update compiler version.
  2. Select the right communication port you will use to flash

DIYBMSServer.cpp file: (I think this is just mandatory for the ones that are using Visual Code in Ubuntu)

1. Define the required variable in order to compile correctly

Now it compiles…let’s see if it also works :slight_smile: