Very low COP?

Hello @bontwoody what was your order number for the heat meter I cant seem to find it? Feel free to email us on [email protected] to take this forward.

Will do Tystan

Could you check that the heat meter body is installed in the correct orientation? There should be an arrow on the heat meter body to indicate flow direction.

1 Like

I have very mixed emotions now Glyn. I’m happy it such an easy fix but sad I was such an idiot :joy:. I’ll turn it around!

4 Likes

A year after my heat pump was installed by professional installers, an engineer came back to do the annual service. When I mentioned that the hot taps “sometimes weren’t working well”, he poked about and found that the valve that limits mains pressure into the cylinder was fitted backwards. Has been working much better since he swapped it around.

So, don’t feel bad - even the pros get it it wrong sometimes :smiley:

3 Likes

now was it really installed backwards by accident by the professionals . I know alot of installer, even by big companies, that do alot of shady things to get those repeat service fees … one big company in my area, did a heating system upgrade to a local business last summer. it “worked” fine during the summer, when it was not needed, come fall time they had nothing but problem - they come in change the air filters and say it was good to go, they call again the next day and tell them it not working ( 3-4 day to show up) went on for weeks like this . do a simple check and say all is good and charge them $200 per visit and leave , the business owner finally got frustrated called another heating company that was 200km away , they came down the heating system was not even hooked up to the thermostat ( only the fan control - the previous service person was only manually triggering the heating system to come on when he was there, so it appeared that it was working ). heatpump service calls can be even worse here, as they are service panel locked. and only the company that installed can service it… I have friend his heat pump did not work for over a year and was always running on heating element backup. he also got frustrate called me. i knew what his problem was he had flow restriction ( it was a well to well heatpump setup and the filter was plugged). but it was impossible to reset the error code. so he had to wait until a service guy finally showed up to reset it . I believe he said it took another 3 months , before the service guy came back to reset the error code ( the service guy was there 3 times prior to me fixing it it was 1/2 winter and then the entire winter the following year that it did not work and it was not reset until the spring or something like that and they charge him $400 per service call as it was 400km round trip service call for the company ) - and I see this type of behaviour in heating companies all the time in Canada - even my mom got ripped off big time. even though I warned her, she getting ripped off she went ahead and did it anyways as they had her totally convinced. all she needed was to change a relay on the primary element ( if the first one does not work none of them work as they work in series as one reaches temp the next one kicks on. useful tid bit if you find yourself with out heat on a conventional furnace , swap the last relay with the first and you’re good to go for heating your house, until you can replace the faulty relay ) so they convinced her to buy a new furnace ($7000) instead of replacing a $20 relay

Thanks Tim, I feel a little better now :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ha! I’d never have expected these to operate (at all) with the flow sensor reversed - we learn something (to look out for on site) every day.

I wonder how many of the BEIS funded trial units with pish poor COPs had Sontex heat meters that were backwards…

1 Like

LOL, glad to be of service!

1 Like

All swapped around now and getting sensible data into emoncms :grinning: Just need to sort out how to upload to Heatpumpmonitor.org

3 Likes

Fantastic, and a great result there :tada:

Thanks Trystam, Im trying to log into emoncms.org unsucessfully. It recognises my username but even with a password reset I cant log in. I havent bought any credits but have multiple purchases which should count I thought. My username is bontwoody. Thanks Mark

I assume you did something Trystan as I can now log in to emoncms.org and see my credit. However im having trouble finding my local devices, the Find Local Devices menu just hangs at searching. Is there a quick fix for this or alternatively some instructions somewhere as to how to set up the devices manually? Thanks Mark