Vehicle to Home / Grid

Hi,
There is starting to be talk of companies (ie OVO) implementing V2G next year - potentially with the 2018 version of the Nissan Leaf.
I’ve got my name down for a new Leaf, and was wondering if there was any scope in the OpenEVSE hardware being able to be used in reverse to power a house - a but like a Tesla Powerwall would?
When I have looked into the V2G options, it looks like they want you to pay £5k - £10k for batteries and hardware to enable it, which seems stupid when I am (potentially) buying a 40kWh battery on wheels. :slight_smile:

Thoughts?

Thanks

Tim

1 Like

It’s great that the new leaf us V2G capable. I haven’t seem published any details of the protocol. It’s unlikely that the openevse in its current form will be able to work with V2G. It will probably require some form of CAN bus communication with the car. The openevse works with the J1772 protocol. I may be wrong, maybe the new leaf will be different.

It would be great to have an open source V2G unit. It would however probably be a totally separate development to the current openevse.

Do you have any details how V2G will work on the new leaf. Does it use the chademo or type 2 socket?

1 Like

It uses the CHAdeMO port.
I heard, that in Japan, after the Fukushima incident, all (new) EVs are recommended, to support V2H.
So, those EVs can supply the house for a while, if needed.

Some time ago I found this (supported by companies like Siemens):
http://openv2g.sourceforge.net/

The 2018 new nissan leaf supports V2G, in the UK they have teamed up with Ovo energy to offer home-wall boxes to suppport v2g to nissan leaf owners. It looks like v2g is happening in 2018!

https://www.cleanenergynews.co.uk/news/transport/ovo-and-nissan-partner-on-v2g-and-home-storage-offer

Digging up an old thread here I know, but there are only 3 search returns for the “V2G” term…

So, this programme has begun, currently Octopus are running a programme where you can buy a Leaf through them and run your electricity supply with them and with a “WallBox” supplied “Quasar” charger - . Looking at their website, whilst they have details on this charger, it doesn’t appear to be available to buy in their online shop?

Reading into the Octopus programme, it seems that they want to be in control of when your car discharges to support the grid in times of high demand (4pm - 7pm). Whilst I get this and it’s for the greater good of the grid, personally (maybe selfishly but hey I’m paying for it), I would want to use my cars battery to supply my house when my solar is not sufficient to supply the house - ie, to reduce my purchasing from the grid in the same way that I would use a Tesla Powerwall

Does anyone on here belong to the Octopus V2G programme and if so, confirm if they are benefiting directly from the cars battery supply, or is it purely assisting the grid between these hours? If so, how are you benefitting? Do they charge the battery in the car for free in return for balancing the grid with it (I doubt it)?

Are there any other V2G bi-directional chargers available (or the Quasar) that could be used to integrate the car’s power supply to provide our homes without reverting to a complete package from an energy provider?

Hmm, maybe Nuvee

Think I read that all VW (and group) EVs will be VHG/H from next year.

Won’t be long before it will be the exception that they aren’t V2G rather than the way it is now with it really only being the Leaf that is.

Simon

I’m on the Octopus V2G trial, but not yet up and running as DNO need export limiting on my setup (due to the PV I already have). During the trial, won’t have much control of the export and need to be on the standard Octopus tariff. Originally, Octopus were going to pay you £30pm provided you had the car connected a minimum number of evenings per month and they’d discharge and export as they saw fit. My understanding, is that they’re now also putting back as much energy into the car as they take out, as during lock down they found connection times were longer and the £30 cash back wasn’t a great deal. At the end of the trial, you get to keep the Quasar and can use it how ever you want with appropriate import/export tariffs.
Mike

1 Like

There’s a UK produced v2g charger https://www.indra.co.uk/vehicle-to-grid-charger which works on chademo

Hi, I have been on the OVO V2G trial for 3 years. This uses the Indra Charger with software developed by Kaluza.
Indra have a small number of (ex OVO V2G triallists) on V2H. They are starting a bigger V2H trial in January 2023. I have signed up for this.
OVO seem to be making noises about getting involved in V2H in some way (maybe just through offering suitable tariffs).

Does anyone know if it would be possible to use this open source software https://openv2g.sourceforge.net/ on the Indra unit? And what would be required to achieve this?

Does anyone know if there is an Open standard

This would be a question for Indra, as far as I’m aware there’s no open protocol available for it.

The Wallbox Quasar v2g unit has a modbus interface which has been reverse engineered.