Upgrade Question

I been running emonpi for a very long time with very little updates.
Would it be ok to update today?
I also enable Node-RED and using it heavily.

|Emoncms|Version|low-write 9.9.8|
|---|---|---|

||Modules|Administration | App v1.2.1 | Backup v1.1.6 | EmonHub Config v1.1.0 | Dashboard v1.3.3 | Device v1.2.1 | EventProcesses | Feed | Graph v1.2.3 | Input | Postprocess v1.0.0 | CoreProcess | Schedule | Network Setup v1.0.0 | sync | Time | User | Visualisation | WiFi v1.3.1|

||Git|URL: https://github.com/emoncms/emoncms.git | Branch: * stable | Describe: v9.5.1-1775-gd0db7a57|

|Server|OS|Linux 4.14.71-v7+|
||Host|emonpi | emonpi | (IP-HERE)|
||Date|2022-10-28 14:52:03 UTC|
||Uptime|14:52:03 up 617 days, 1:07, 1 user, load average: 0.11, 0.07, 0.07|

Hello @parallelsys

Do you know which emonSD version you are running? It may be listed on the Admin page. If it’s not there, there will be a file on the boot partition starting emonSD followed by the version…

We generally recommend upgrading to the latest emonSD image when upgrading old systems, see the process described here “Import using a SD card reader” Import / Backup - Guide | OpenEnergyMonitor

1 Like

Release emonSD-30Oct18

I might go the route of a new sd card, this has been running for a loooong time.

Thoughts on the emonsd version? :slight_smile:

Thanks, yes emonSD-30Oct18 cant be updated safely from the interface and will require our more recent image. I would recommend downloading emonSD-21Jul21 and then using the guide to import your data from the original SD card.

The list of images that are safe to update via the interface are given here: EmonScripts/safe-update at master · openenergymonitor/EmonScripts · GitHub (we changed the directory structure significantly for images emonSD-17Oct19 or newer). Though it’s often best to do image updates at a more regular interval as you then get the OS updates as well.

The new SD Image doesn’t really support Node-RED on the same device.

IIRC, migrating Node-RED used to be a real PITA.

1 Like

Ok… This is not good lol.
So question. Am I missing alot by not upgrading?

Yes plus your system will not be getting security updates as the base OS is EOL (I think).

But YMMV.