I’m not sure what I did but I cannot log into the emoncms console. It was fine this morning. Lots of changes - updated raspberry, installed some software (postfix, dovecot, pivpn). changed host name, change user ‘pi’ password. Also tried to update emoncms to 9.8.7.
if I log in using the lan address, I get a wait icon and it never completes. I can see the dropdowns (like the wrench icon) but they don’t work. If I log in through the external web page, I get a log in window and when I enter my userid/password, it just returns quickly.
I looked at the log and there’s nothing useful there. In fact there are no messages at all from today. Log level is 1 and it’s enabled.
What should I look for to fix this?
Might be an apache2 error: 'service apache2 status" shows the following:
● apache2.service - LSB: Apache2 web server
Loaded: loaded (/etc/init.d/apache2)
Active: inactive (dead) since Fri 2017-07-14 22:42:06 EDT; 4min 10s ago
Process: 2136 ExecStop=/etc/init.d/apache2 stop (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
Process: 2119 ExecStart=/etc/init.d/apache2 start (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
Jul 14 22:42:06 raspberrypi apache2: Starting web server: apache2AH00558: apache2: Could not reliably determine the server’s fully qualified domain name, using 127.0.1.1. Set the ‘ServerName’ directive globally to suppress this message
Jul 14 22:42:06 raspberrypi apache2: (98)Address already in use: AH00072: make_sock: could not bind to address [::]:80
Jul 14 22:42:06 raspberrypi apache2: (98)Address already in use: AH00072: make_sock: could not bind to address 0.0.0.0:80
Jul 14 22:42:06 raspberrypi apache2: no listening sockets available, shutting down
Jul 14 22:42:06 raspberrypi apache2: AH00015: Unable to open logs
Jul 14 22:42:06 raspberrypi apache2: Action ‘start’ failed.
Have a look at this Bill,. It sounds similar to the issue you’re having.
I found that lighttpd was running and listening on port 80 for some reason. I uninstall it and the apache2 errors diappeared. The log started to be updated with the new values from the emontx device.
But I still can’t connect. Same symptoms as before.
After you did your updates, did you update the database?
how is that done? so obviously not. If I recall, that is done from the wrench icon. If so, I can’t get that far. I just get the wait icon. I can see the wrench but can’t get it to activate the other menu items. I did set dbtest to true but no effect.
I also saw a note that a version of redis would cause apache2 to fail. I updated redis according to the instructions. (and apache2 is running now anyway). redis is the 2.2.7 version now.
The database update is done from the Administration menu, but since you cant get to the menu…
One thing I do remember from quite some time ago is if the admin menu choice isn’t in the dropdown list,
logging off then logging on again should make it show in the list.
I don’t know why, but it suddenly started working again. Perhaps some timeout someplace. I did update the database (only a minor update).
All it well it appears.