This is a topic for admins and mods

it is nice we can all type and read and reply and … gosh, have to admit this script is pretty nice

but there is always the backside of the forum where some have to follow/moderate/edit

so let’s use this one for it, go ahead admin, go mess around with my post

mmm didn’t find a button to report a bad content/spam etc on this thing ???
I know it is better not to have to use it but … if we need to … where is it hidden ?

ok going to write a nasty word or two … I would never ever do so in a real forum but let’s see fif the script has auto mute on words

per user request, text edited - Moderator, BT

if they appear, once again, moderator/admin … kick my ass and edit this thing out :smile_cat:

sorry for the rude words to the gentle reader but testing is testing

Thanks for testing! I have flagged your post, all moderators and trusted users will be able to flag posts. I think all users can become trustees users automatically after a period of time of trusted behaviour. I would be wary of implementing an overly aggressive automatic moderation based on specific works. There may be genuine reasons to use those words in a post!

Have you had an email alerting you that your post has been flagged? If a post is flagged 5 times it will automatically be deleted. Alternative moderation have the ability to delete post directly.

[Edited typo’s - Moderator (R)]

1 Like

no flag received via mail

Glyn - is there a way for a non-moderator and non-trusted user to flag a post and ask a moderator to review? As a “Joe User” I don’t want to delete the post but I would want to raise the red flag that Bidi has a potty mouth!

I just had a notification that I earned another “badge”, specifically this one: OpenEnergyMonitor Community
Which says:

Basic
This badge is granted when you reach trust level 1. Thanks for sticking around a little while and reading a few topics to learn what our community is about. Your new user restrictions have been lifted; you’ve been granted all essential community abilities, such as personal messaging, flagging, wiki editing, and the ability to post multiple images and links."

1 Like

whoa! There are lots of badges!

“Badges? We don’t need no stinkin’ badges!”

1 Like

indeed, is what I already posted, couldn’t find it, maybe an option to toggle on ?

Generally, it’s very rare to see anyone receiving a reprimand on OEM. But in your case, maybe you’ve escaped because there aren’t as many pairs of eyes watching here, nor the same moderators, as there are on the Drupal forums.

Like you I am just getting to grips with home the new forums works. I have mixed feeling about the badges scheme which is turned on by default. On one hand it seems a bit silly, on the other hand it’s a clear indicator of the level of trust and privileges which get automatically assigned to a user as the system gets to know them as a trusted user. I know it’s a pain in the beginning to be subjected to post and privilege limitations but these tools will be great at combating spammers who won’t stick around long enough to gain enough status to cause damage. If we decide we don’t want the badge scheme, it’s super easy to turn off. I just wanted to give it a try.

An important thing to note is that it’s possible to ‘invite’ users to join the forum via email. Invited users will automatically be given moderately elevated privileges. My plan is to to invite all active users from the old forum to join once we decide to go ahead.

All moderators should be able to see that @bidouilleur post has been flagged. See screen shot of moderators page.

1 Like

Maybe a smaller number of badges. Start at “newbie” or beginner up to “OEM Genius or Expert”. It would be nice to get rid of the delayed post and the multi-post that goes along with it.

2 Likes

Glyn - I saw your post pop up while I was typing my last post. Very cool!

What does “Defer” or “defer flag” mean? Is this deciding the message’s fate for another day?!?

@Jon good idea, I like that suggestion.

Here is the official explinatinon of how the privileges work from the Discourse documentation:

New User Sandbox and the Trust System

If your discussion area is be open to the public, new visitors will arrive that are initially strangers to the community. Discourse has a trust system where users can, over time, earn the trust of the community and gain abilities to assist in governing their community.

Discourse is designed to offer safe defaults for public communities, even with no active moderation.

0 (new) → 1 (basic) → 2 (member) → 3 (regular) → 4 (leader)

All new users start out in a sandbox with restrictions for everyone’s safety. Trust level 0 (new) users cannot …

post more than 2 hyperlinks
post any images or file attachments
send private messages
flag posts or topics
have actual links in the “about me” field of their profile
@name mention more than 2 users in a post
Virtually every action a user can take is rate limited for safety, and especially so for new users. But don’t worry, new users can transition to trust level 1 in about 15 minutes.

These defaults are safe, but they may be too conservative for your site:

If you are pre-vetting all users, or your site is private and you approve all new users manually, you can set everyone’s default trust level to 1.

You can relax individual new user restrictions. Search settings for newuser. Ones commonly adjusted are newuser max images, newuser max replies per topic, newuser max links.

Indeed. Some of the badges might cause users to make posts just to get an increased trust level. And, as Glyn said, some are kind of silly.

Should Bidi have posted a link to, or better still, the words of this: Pee Po Belly Bum Drawers

[Now having just been elevated to moderator, let’s see if I get struck off!]

1 Like

Loving the look of the new forum, good choice of software.

1 Like

5 posts were split to a new topic: My automatic meter reading project