Struggling with my project energy monitoring

Hello,
The intention is that I will show 8 devices of 230V which device is on and which is not.

For this purpose I first made a test setup (see appendix).
Miraculously I got the whole thing working.

To go a step further I bought 8x clamps, 3x EmonTX and 3xEmonBase.
I think I connected these as I should and I want them (see appendix).

• 2 clamps an EmonTX-01 and the TX-01 to the EmonBase-01
  • 4 clamps an EmonTX-02 and the TX-01 to the EmonBase-02
  • 2 clamps an EmonTX-03 and the TX-01 to the EmonBase-03
    (In theory, any EmonTX can go to 1 EmonBase, but I didn’t choose to do so because the range of the signal is not sufficient if the EmonTX is spread further apart)

Now I have troubles with the following:

Since the EmonTX transmitters are now too close to the 3 EmonBase receivers, I receive all the data for each EmonCMS. Can I adjust this in the EmonHub in such a way that I only receive the data from a certain EmonTX?

In addition, they have different values. 2 give power 1, power2, power 3 etc and the others P1, P2, P3 etc. I would like to see these uniformly. Can I disable values that I don’t want to show in my EmonCMS in the EmonHub?

Which routerports do I need to open and what action do I need to take to get everything up and running?

Also, I can’t quite get out of the write-/read keys on different levels…

I know, it’s a lot of questions, I hope you can help me out.
When the project is finished, I will of course post the results, including photos.

Who would like to help me make this commonplace?
Greetings, Peter

Welcome, Peter, to the OEM forum.

I think you mean current transformers?

Yes, if in emonhub.conf you remove the specification for the NodeID of the emonTx’s you do not want to receive, they will be received but not decoded, and therefore the data therein cannot passed forwards to emonCMS.

You can also change the names in emonhub.conf to whatever you wish.

I am not a networking expert, so I must leave those questions to someone who is.

What Node number are each of the TXs on?

Looking at the standard emonhub.conf;

Node 9

[[9]]
   nodename = emontx2
   [[[rx]]]
      names = power1, power2, power3, power4, vrms, temp1, temp2, temp3, temp4, temp5, temp6, pulse
      datacodes = h,h,h,h,h,h,h,h,h,h,h,L
      scales = 1,1,1,1,0.01,0.1,0.1, 0.1,0.1,0.1,0.1,1
      units = W,W,W,W,V,C,C,C,C,C,C,p

Node 16

[[16]]
    nodename = emontx3cm16
    [[[rx]]]
       names = MSG, Vrms, P1, P2, P3, P4, E1, E2, E3, E4, T1, T2, T3, pulse
       datacodes = L,h,h,h,h,h,L,L,L,L,h,h,h,L
       scales = 1,0.01,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,0.01,0.01,0.01,1
       units = n,V,W,W,W,W,Wh,Wh,Wh,Wh,C,C,C,p
       whitening = 1

It looks like one of the TX may be picking up a CM node definition. I had not realised there was a difference @Robert.Wall @TrystanLea.

You can stop this (as Robert said), but as it will just be an input and no data is stored and processed, this does not really matter or degrade the system.

I didn’t allocate the NodeIDs, nor write the sketch. That’s down to Trystan & Glyn. There’s no real reason to allocate a different NodeID just because the sketch is using the CM library, the output from the sketch could be made fully compatible with the pre-existing sketch.

Is that true? If 3 emonBases all send the same data, but at slightly different times due to network delays, then surely it increases the possibility of the overwriting the “correct” value if the delay(s) in getting the data into emonCMS-0 mean it misses its slot in the Timeseries record?. Yes, this is a remote possibility but it’s one that’s easy enough to eliminate. More to the point, it should reduce confusion, which is probably important.

Had to think about this - Each base could be receiving the data from every TX. Each base is, by default, only configured to send the data to its own EmonCMS instance (by MQTT). So the inputs on each emonBase should only be updated by the RFM data received by that emonbase.

Yes, but is not necessary from a data gathering point of view.

Yes, but there are 4 emonCMS’s. All 4 are (probably) receiving the same data, 3 synchronously and the 4th - CMS-0 will be subject to network delays.

You only need to do this if you want to access the emoncms outside your own LAN. That is high risk and not something I would be willing to advise on.

If you did want to do this, you really need to aggregate your data onto one EmonBase.

This could be done by using 2 of the bases simply as a relay to pass the data to the main one or using a 4th machine (pi or server).

That is not clear. I suspect the emonhubs are not configured to do that, but I could be wrong. Until we get all the emonhub.conf files we will not know. I suspect the 4th is just a viewer.

I was under the impression that CMS-0 was this. But it’s not clear whether this is local or emoncms.org.

Yes, 8 current transformers :wink:

Thanks for your answer. Like Borpin said, it makes no difference so I don’t change the emonhub.configs

I did it, that works, thx

TX-01 node 15 – TX-02 node 16 – TX-03 node 8 (see picture)

I’m not going to change the EmunHub while its up-and-running, thx for your answer

I think you are right. For exampleTX-01 is connected tot B-01, B-02 and B-03 and B-0x send data tot lokal emoncms.

In my case you’re not right. It is possible when each TX conneted is with serial and no Radio (I prefer serial)

EmonCMS 1, 2 and 3 are lokal wit fixed IP. CMS-0 is on emoncms.org

I didn’t forward any port but it works!

CMS-0 is on emoncms.org, I can connect and change parameters without connecting my local network. I’ve also created a dashboard, it acts like a viewer.
It works!!!
Now I have to callibrate the current transformers

Thanks a lot, I can write an overview how I installed everything.