Community
OpenEnergyMonitor

Community

(Solved) ESP8266 pytool erase flash: need help pls!

(Doug) #1

I am using Platformio (Compiled & uploaded ESPmon to Robotdyn UNO+Wifi board, but when it started, I saw the old ESP logi, as well as the required ESPmon-xxx login, so then tried to erase the ESP8266 memory. ESPtools are in Platformio, but could not work out how to acess that, so loaded ESPtools & ran from root terminal. Results below:

[[email protected] doug]# esptool.py -p /dev/ttyUSB0 erase_flash
esptool.py v2.6
Serial port /dev/ttyUSB0
Connecting...
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/esptool.py", line 2959, in <module>
    _main()
  File "/usr/bin/esptool.py", line 2952, in _main
    main()
  File "/usr/bin/esptool.py", line 2646, in main
    esp = ESPLoader.detect_chip(each_port, initial_baud, args.before, args.trace)
  File "/usr/bin/esptool.py", line 259, in detect_chip
    detect_port.connect(connect_mode)
  File "/usr/bin/esptool.py", line 460, in connect
    last_error = self._connect_attempt(mode=mode, esp32r0_delay=False)
  File "/usr/bin/esptool.py", line 419, in _connect_attempt
    self._setRTS(True)   # EN=LOW, chip in reset
  File "/usr/bin/esptool.py", line 391, in _setRTS
    self._port.setDTR(self._port.dtr)
AttributeError: 'Serial' object has no attribute 'dtr'

(end)

Completely at sea here! I have enough knowledge to be dangerous! Can someone help pls??
ps: apparently the next version of Platformio is better, but I am still running the supported
version.

(ian) #2

Hi

I have been in a similar situation to you. I also use PlatformIO with just about enough understanding to be dangerous.

Somebody suggested I switch to Visual Studio Code and run platform from there. I did that and since then I have had much less difficulty.

The erase command is

esptool.py --port COM5 erase_flash

Works like a charm for me. Obviously that’s a Windows command and you will need to use the correct usb port. Also I have found you need to keep the PlatformIO environment up to date but that is fairly easy.

Ian

(Doug) #3

Fixed! Hopefully this will help someone else…

The issue was there were old versions of pyserial hanging around. Deleted them all (some by uninstalling from my Distro, & others as pip uninstall pyserial in a root terminal. (or use Sudo at your own risk! PCLinuxOS frowns on Sudo…)

The other issue I fixed was to install the correct USB parameters for the Linux /etc/udev/rules.d/99-platformio-udev.rules where I added the CH340 section:

# CH341 USB UART
SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="1A86", ATTRS{idProduct}=="7523", MODE:="0666"

regards, Doug
(& thanks Ian: I have not used M$ windoze for abt 20 years! (Even loaded PCLinuxOS on my new Dell 2:1 I5 tablet.)

(Brian Orpin) #4

PlatformIO is a cross OS platform. (corrected hyperlinks above to correct domain).

[edit] I meant VS Code is Cross platform as well :frowning:

(ian) #5

Hi

Visual Studio Code is cross platform. I just grabbed the windows example as it was on my tablet.

Ian