Significance of neutral in 3 phase residential setup

Hey guys,

I’ve been looking at some 3 phase monitoring systems, and notice some do and some do not monitor the neutral with CT coils.

When looking at ‘common european 3 phase houses’ what is often done, is use each phase on a RCBO and then 4 breakers on each rcbo, so 12 ‘circuits’ for a 3 phase system. Very sometimes, a 3 phase (all 4 wires) goes to one of those bigger red socktes for true 3 phase hook-ups.

When monitoring 3 phases with just 3 parallel branches, I think it’s fair to say, the Neutral carries all those return signals, and since it’s out-of-phase of eachother, the max current should be manageable for the neutral’s thickness?

Secondly, when monitoring these 3 phases, what value would monitoring the neutral bring, other to help detect some inconsistencies? especially if one where to also run a 3 phase motor (with and without neutral)?

Thanks,

Olliver

None.

The neutral current is the phasor sum of the three line currents.

Summing the neutral current and the phase currents will detect a residual leakage current to earth, which is the job of protection, not of monitoring. This is what your RCBO is for. And a long-standing principle is you don’t mix monitoring and protection. Each system should stand alone, and not be capable of interfering with the other.

Thanks @Robert.Wall

What brought me to the question, is that years ago, I was reading TI’s Application notes (I still think their MSP430 series are great MCU’s for exactly this application :slight_smile: But see this https://www.ti.com/lit/pdf/slaa577 pdf for example, they explicitly monitor the Neutral, and it is an AN for Watt-Hour metering, not protection or anything like it? So this is what confused me a lot …

That is for metering - almost certainly (without reading the note) it’s concerning fraud detection.

1 Like

Thanks! That was probably the ‘missing link’ for me!

What is the likeliest way someone will attempt to steal electricity - connect a parallel wire around the meter. What happens then, the phasor sum of the 4 wires is non-zero - the fraud (or a fault to earth) is detected.

Sure, but why not bypass neutral AND the phases in that case?

Would the average cheat/criminal think of that?

Lol, idk; to me it would be obvious ‘my extension cord has 2 wires, so I must connect both’ I think most people aren’t even aware you only need 1 wire? But I can understand from a design pov; you’d want to monitor neutral at least for half the cases …