Services not restarting on upgrade to 9.9.7

pi@emonpi(ro):~$ sudo systemctl enable service-runner.service
Failed to execute operation: No such file or directory
pi@emonpi(ro):~$ sudo systemctl start service-runner.service
pi@emonpi(ro):~$

All services now report running but it does not seem to like the first command line.

Yeah, that was me… sudo is only required if you’re going to “change” something with it. Is there any harm in advising people to use sudo systemctl status [service]? Probably not!

Looks like you’re running jessie, I thought there was an extra manual step to enable service-runner on jessie, something like linking the .service file into a different place?

Can you provide the output of:

ls -l /etc/systemd/system/service-runner*
ls -l /lib/systemd/system/service-runner*

Ah, that will be the problem. I do not have a Jessie based system.

@glyn.hudson, I suspect there is an issue on Jessie based distributions.

The script is here https://github.com/openenergymonitor/emonpi/blob/service_correction/emoncmsupdate and was discussed here Emoncms V9.9.6 Stable merge (pre-merge check).

There is a command to create the link in the script. I think I saw that the script itself may not have updated correctly in the logs above.

Running those command gives me

pi@emonpi(ro):~$ ls -l /etc/systemd/system/service-runner*
ls: cannot access /etc/systemd/system/service-runner*: No such file or directory
pi@emonpi(ro):~$ ls -l /lib/systemd/system/service-runner*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 71 Feb 27 20:43 /lib/systemd/system/service-runner.service -> /var/www/emoncms/scripts/services/service-runner/service-runner.service

If I do need to run that script to correct as I have not done that for several months can I have a reminder how to do it from the PuTTY console?

Many thanks

Could you try this please.

cd ~/emonpi
git status

When you tested this, did you not discover systemd on Jessie did not follow symbolic links?

I suddenly realised I was having Deja Vu - Symlinking services in Jessie doesn't work

I think the solution may be to use a hard link instead.

I get this…

pi@emonpi(ro):~$ cd ~/emonpi
pi@emonpi(ro):emonpi$ git status
On branch master
Your branch is up-to-date with 'origin/master'.
Untracked files:
  (use "git add <file>..." to include in what will be committed)

nothing added to commit but untracked files present (use "git add" to track)
pi@emonpi(ro):emonpi$

Hi @IM35461, sorry about this. It seems it is possibly an oddity of the Jessie systemd although I’ve searched out a Jessie system I have and I can see symlinks in the /lib/ systemd folder so do not know why these are not working. As it is a running system (doing other things) I really do not want to play with it!

The solution might be a slight change to the enable command. Can you try this and see if it creates an error message.

sudo systemctl enable /lib/systemd/system/service-runner.service

If no error, could you reboot and then do a status on the service please.

Alas it does not like that command :frowning:

pi@emonpi(ro):~$ sudo systemctl enable /lib/systemd/system/service-runner.service
Failed to execute operation: Too many levels of symbolic links

This is very perplexing as the feedwriter service is identical.

Could you possibly reboot and then do:

sudo systemctl status emoncms_mqtt service-runner feedwriter

If you then do a

sudo systemctl restart emoncms_mqtt
sudo systemctl restart service-runner

Everything will run until you next boot but that isn’t really a solution.

That seems to work and I was wondering if it may just be best to have a fresh start with a new MicroSD card…

pi@emonpi(ro):~$ sudo systemctl status emoncms_mqtt service-runner feedwriter
● emoncms_mqtt.service - Emoncms emoncms_mqtt script
   Loaded: loaded (/var/www/emoncms/scripts/services/emoncms_mqtt/emoncms_mqtt.service; disabled)
   Active: inactive (dead)
     Docs: https://github.com/emoncms/emoncms/blob/master/docs/RaspberryPi/MQTT.md

● service-runner.service - Emoncms service-runner Input Script
   Loaded: loaded (/var/www/emoncms/scripts/services/service-runner/service-runner.service; disabled)
   Active: inactive (dead)
     Docs: https://github.com/emoncms/emoncms/blob/master/scripts/services/install-service-runner-update.md

Feb 28 16:02:24 emonpi systemd[1]: [/var/www/emoncms/scripts/services/servi...t'
Feb 28 16:04:04 emonpi systemd[1]: [/var/www/emoncms/scripts/services/servi...t'

● feedwriter.service - Emoncms feedwriter script
   Loaded: loaded (/var/www/emoncms/scripts/services/feedwriter/feedwriter.service; disabled)
   Active: active (running) since Thu 2019-02-28 16:02:02 UTC; 2min 2s ago
     Docs: https://github.com/emoncms/emoncms/blob/master/scripts/services/install-service-feedwriter.md
 Main PID: 2918 (php)
   CGroup: /system.slice/feedwriter.service
           └─2918 /usr/bin/php /var/www/emoncms/scripts/feedwriter.php

Feb 28 16:02:02 emonpi systemd[1]: Started Emoncms feedwriter script.
Feb 28 16:02:03 emonpi feedwriter[2918]: Buffered feed writer daemon started....
Hint: Some lines were ellipsized, use -l to show in full.
pi@emonpi(ro):~$ sudo systemctl restart emoncms_mqtt
pi@emonpi(ro):~$ sudo systemctl restart service-runner

Could this have anything to do with the shenanigans that happens in the rc.local file? The feedwriter service is the only one of the 3 services that gets restarted in rc.local.

If this is still Jessie based, it is still a read-only filesystem, could that be causing any issue with the new services?

I know that the services do not have thier own log files, but are they dependent on other services that do require a log file (eg redis) therefore failing to start as the required service(s) have failed to start due to a missing log file and then only the feedwriter gets restarted once the log files are created, leaving the other 2 not running.

[edit]

As a quick test you could edit the service mqtt_input restart to service emoncms_mqtt restart or add it to the bottom of the list. Any services that cannot start (eg mqtt_input?) should be removed as rc.local will just abort on the first error and not continue with the rest of the commands.

Interesting point. @glyn.hudson I’m not sure this was changed as part of the update script.

Ah yes, very possible - obvious really. The enable command would be unable to create the symlinks in /etc/systemd/system/. Doesn’t explain why the script would fail though as it is in RW mode.

@IM35461, my mistake.

Could you try

rpi-rw
sudo systemctl enable service-runner.service
sudo systemctl start service-runner.service
rpi-ro

If the enable command is successful, reboot and see if it starts.

Well that would get you onto Stretch, which is a good idea.

Looking at my jessie based EmonBase, (which is where I found the issues on jessie mentioned above), I have:

pi@emonpi(ro):~$ ls -l /etc/systemd/system/service-runner*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 42 Nov 13 10:26 /etc/systemd/system/service-runner.service -> /lib/systemd/system/service-runner.service
pi@emonpi(ro):~$ ls -l /lib/systemd/system/service-runner*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 71 Nov 13 10:22 /lib/systemd/system/service-runner.service -> /var/www/emoncms/scripts/services/service-runner/service-runner.service
pi@emonpi(ro):~$ systemctl status service-runner
● service-runner.service - Emoncms service-runner Input Script
   Loaded: loaded (/var/www/emoncms/scripts/services/service-runner/service-runner.service; enabled)
   Active: active (running) since Tue 2019-02-19 06:17:34 UTC; 1 weeks 2 days ago
 Main PID: 883 (python)
   CGroup: /system.slice/service-runner.service
           └─883 /usr/bin/python /var/www/emoncms/scripts/services/service-runner/service-runner.py

On this system, service-runner restarts successfully after a reboot.

So it looks like I manually linked /lib/systemd/system/service-runner.service into /etc/systemd/system

Trouble is, if you forget, need to disable it for some reason, then come to enable it again, it won’t work as the original symlink in /etc/systemd/system has been deleted by the disable command and you need to add in the link manually as well.

What is annoying is that it should work. I think the RO issue might be it - needs to be RW when enabled.

Do you have an entry in the rc.local?

Yep, that’s absolutely correct. Its a bug in the systemd version running on jessie and there’s no good way around it while still using systemd.

jessie is running systemd v215, the jessie-backports version is v230, stretch is running v232.
Its possible that the jessie-backports version fixes it but I’ve not tried it.

The instructions for using backports are here: Instructions
For this particular thread, replace stretch with jessie in all references in commands from that link.

Nothing related to service-runner.

pi@emonpi(ro):~$ ls -l /etc/rc.local
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 38 Apr 28  2016 /etc/rc.local -> /home/pi/emonpi/rc.local_jessieminimal

That jessieminimal file contains the code to create the log folders in tmpfs and then restart the services that need logs to exist

I just don’t buy that. If you look in /lib/systemd/system/ you will see symlinked units.

Don’t worry about me, I have gone for a fresh install and now seem to have 9.9.8 beta.

System can be restarted with no issues

2 Likes